E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Opinions on P-cars

11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
oaks88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335

Garage List
Opinions on P-cars

What is everyone's take on p-cars would like to get some opinions? I have thought about going back to an SUV for sometime now but find myself questioning the reliability of the Porsche compared to BMW, here is the one I am talking about http://www.elitemotorsonline.com/web...inois/1188896/
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

P-cars are amazing. Great history, status, quality and performance.

BMW and Porsche have very similar drivers.

Never drove a Porsche SUV before, but I would imagine that they are quality vehicles.

Yes, maintenance is more money, thus the phrase "Porsche Tax" coming into existence.

Of course performance comes with a cost.

More expensive to maintain than a BMW, but less expensive than say a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It's all relative.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
P-cars are amazing. Great history, status, quality and performance.

BMW and Porsche have very similar drivers.

Never drove a Porsche SUV before, but I would imagine that they are quality vehicles.

Yes, maintenance is more money, thus the phrase "Porsche Tax" coming into existence.

Of course performance comes with a cost.

More expensive to maintain than a BMW, but less expensive than say a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It's all relative.
+1

Porsche always ranks highest or amongst the highest in terms of quality and dependability whereas BMW usually ranks below average or average at best. The X5 is supposed to be one of BMWs least reliable cars whereas other are very good.

2010 Dependability / Initial Car Quality
BMW - #17 / #16
Porsche - #1 / #1

2011 Dependability / Initial Car Quality
BMW - #21 / #13
Porsche - #4 / #6

2012 Dependability / Initial Car Quality
BMW - #20 / #10
Porsche - #2 / #3

Generally speaking, big gap between the two in both aspects.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-02-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Why do people still call Porsches "P-cars?"
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I had a 2004 Cayenne S from new for 5 years and about 85,000 miles. I loved it. Completely reliable, it had a couple of window regulator issues (the window wouldn't auto up/down) and I believe a transfer case switch sensor (again no real issue just a light on the dash and a trip to the dealer under warranty).

My brother in law is also interested in a used Cayenne S, he talked to a couple of Porsche dealer techs who had nothing but good things to say about the trucks reliability (for what thats worth).

My wife wanted a bigger car so we I traded my Cayenne in on an X5 for her. I can say that the Cayenne is the better built machine and more fun to drive.

The Cayenne likes its consumables. Tires, brakes, and fuel (about 18 - 19 mpg average...better then my M5 ever did) but anything that big that is actually fun to drive is going to consume things.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
xxwarderxx
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I love p-cars! Had a boxster for a bit and was extremely fun. Will be into another boxster / cayman / carrera again later without a doubt.

As far as the SUV variants go, the Cayenne is actually VERY off road capable. Don't know about the X5, but I wouldn't imagine it isn't in the same league.

My .02
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

My dad's driven 2 generation of X5(2004&2009) for last 7 years, he jumped into a '12 Cayenne S earlier this year. This suv drives night an day compared to the X5. The X5 always felt like...well, an SUV. When apex a bit harder than usual, it feels like it's going to topple over, it creaked like hell during the winter. All that said, I prefer the X5's overall look to the Cayenne's(mainly due to the new rear). The quality and driving experience cannot be matched. The only drawback for us is that the nearest dealers are both at least 30km away, unlike BMW..10mins from our house.

As for off-road capabilities, I have to agree that it's quite good. I was at the Porsche World Road Show earlier this year. Here's 2 pics of my co-driver when it was his turn on the course.