E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tourqe value for malo industries aluminum crank guard bolts?

01-30-2024, 01:03 PM   #1
Peter_Griffin_Gaming
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i ZSP 6MT

Tourqe value for malo industries aluminum crank guard bolts?

So, I was researching a crank seal cover, as I need to get in there and replace the serp. belt soon. Decided to go with the malo industries crank guard, and purchased their aluminum bolts to go with it for piece of mind against corrosion.

I was wondering if anyone on here had done this install before with their ALU bolts, and if so, what a good tourqe value is (and if I should use locktite). The only thread I can find on here indicates that people have had trouble finding a correct tourqe spec for these bolts, so I was wondering if anyone else had input on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 07:38 PM   #2
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I just did this, the torque spec is 15 ft lbs written on the instructions that they send. The issue is that these aluminum bolts strip out at around 6 ft lbs, at least that's what my digital torque wrench said.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:16 AM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Are they the same size/pitch as the oil pan screws?

If they are I think that would be a good place to start. The crank guard doesn't have a gasket under it, but the through-hole depth is similar so the joints are relatively similar.
      02-04-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
Peter_Griffin_Gaming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
I just did this, the torque spec is 15 ft lbs written on the instructions that they send. The issue is that these aluminum bolts strip out at around 6 ft lbs, at least that's what my digital torque wrench said.
As in these specific bolts? Because alu bolts are used all over the N52, with higher tourqe specs than 6 ft-lbs...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 02:38 PM   #5
Peter_Griffin_Gaming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Are they the same size/pitch as the oil pan screws?

If they are I think that would be a good place to start. The crank guard doesn't have a gasket under it, but the through-hole depth is similar so the joints are relatively similar.
I think the pitch may be the same, at the very least. Thanks for that suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:49 AM   #6
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Griffin_Gaming View Post
As in these specific bolts? Because alu bolts are used all over the N52, with higher tourqe specs than 6 ft-lbs...
I'm not talking about the threads, I'm talking about the head of the bolt where the socket goes. There's a really small area of contact there for your socket and it seems that it just strips out as you apply torque since it is soft aluminum. I made sure that the socket was set properly in the hole and the last torque reading I got from my digital torque wrench was 6 ft lbs. In all honestly this will probably be fine, but I'm going to hammer a bigger socket onto it and hopefully get it out. Things like this are why Allen bolts are my least favorite type of bolt to deal with on any car.

The aluminum bolts used on the N52 are all e-torx if I remember correctly which makes the soft aluminum mostly irrelevant compared to an Allan bolt, since there are multiple solid points of contact you can actually apply torque to them without them just stripping out.
Appreciate 0