E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Who ride their bicycle to work?

04-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Who ride their bicycle to work?

If you ride a bicycle to work, please come in and share your experience and anything you know that might be useful to other members.

I just read this article in Bicycling (Nov 2007) issue page 42 about emloyers reimbursing their employee up to $20/month if emplyee ride bike to work regularly. There was a bill that was passed that made this possible (bill is called Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act).

I am not certain I understand fully what is in this bill. Maybe somone can chime in and shed more light.

This thread is for sharing info like what I posted for the benefit of our members in addition to tips and do's and don't on bicycling.

04-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

No clue about that bill, etc.

Anyhow, as you know I'm a bike noob and just bought a bike and started riding. Rode in today, felt great. It's getting easier each time..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
No clue about that bill, etc.

Anyhow, as you know I'm a bike noob and just bought a bike and started riding. Rode in today, felt great. It's getting easier each time..
Yes, I am fully aware you just bought a bike that is why I thought $20 in your pocket per month would not hurt. Let see if anyone know anything about this bill.

Any tips you discovered that might be useful for a noob (like don't ride your bike to work when it is 40 degree or your balls would freezed up)
      04-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Yes, I am fully aware you just bought a bike that is why I thought $20 in your pocket per month would not hurt. Let see if anyone know anything about this bill.

Any tips you discovered that might be useful for a noob (like don't ride your bike to work when it is 40 degree or your balls would freezed up)
Out of curiosity -

For me, work round trip is 14 miles. Say I can ride in at least twice a week. This is 28 miles/week. I average about 20 mpg. So 1.4 gallons x 4 weeks = 5.6 gallons / month.. With the price of gas these days, that's almost $20..

Well, just curious. I'm more in it for the health benefits, but thought I'd run that calc anyhow. Curious to hear more about said bill..

How long is your commute?

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

If I lived close enough to anywhere I needed to go, weather it be school, work, or whatever. . . I'd ride a bike.

But unfortunately, orange county isn't set up like that. We dont have city blocks, and everything is not right next to eachother. . . so it's difficult to make use of a bike, unless you plan on traveling long distances.

But just take a trip to Holland one day. . . you'll really see how effective bikes can be for travel. They've been utilizing bikes in Holland for decades. It's apart of their history and culture haha

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

40 degrees is nice weather to ride a bike in. Anything under 25 would be cold though. I rode this past weekend and it was about 43 degrees out.

I will have to ask my company if they do anything like that, I have not heard that before. I will start riding to work some days when I get moved closer (I live about 40 miles away from work right now). The only bike I ride to work right now is 750cc of amazingness.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
40 degrees is nice weather to ride a bike in. Anything under 25 would be cold though. I rode this past weekend and it was about 43 degrees out.

I will have to ask my company if they do anything like that, I have not heard that before. I will start riding to work some days when I get moved closer (I live about 40 miles away from work right now). The only bike I ride to work right now is 750cc of amazingness.
not for me, 40 degree @ 7 am is off the chart for me. I live 25 miles away from work. I know there are companies who give incentives for using van pool especially in large cities with congestted highways/roads. For the summer time, it is nice to have a place to shower at the office as well.

Besides the obvious benefits like health and environment, there are many other benefits, here is one that rarely talked about. I am sick of staring at the rush hour red taillights, a change in scenery would not hurt. Just imagine these two images in your head, what would you choose?
Attached Images

04-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity -

For me, work round trip is 14 miles. Say I can ride in at least twice a week. This is 28 miles/week. I average about 20 mpg. So 1.4 gallons x 4 weeks = 5.6 gallons / month.. With the price of gas these days, that's almost $20..

Well, just curious. I'm more in it for the health benefits, but thought I'd run that calc anyhow. Curious to hear more about said bill..

How long is your commute?
hehehe, so the bill could possible add another $20 to your wallet

If I was to ride into work like you 2 times a week, work round trip is 50 miles. This is 100 miles a week. I average about 25 mpg (for real). So 4 gallons x 4 weeks = 16 gals/mnth...I paid $3.49 per gals so that is $55.84. I need to get on that bike fast
      04-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

I ride into work when I can during the late sprint through early fall as often as possible.
My commute is 30 miles roundtrip. It takes me about 40-55 minutes each way depending on lights and wind here.
Best thing is the health factor and getting some fresh air. It is nice to have some friends to ride into work with also or catch some guys on the way in and ride for a few with them.
Find a good safe route and it is a lot of fun!!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

BTW bicycle shop owner here.

Cheers and enjoy the ride!

SG

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I don't ride a bicycle to work, but there are people at my workplace who makes a six figure income who ride their bicycle to work. There is one guy who rode his bicycle to work when it was snowing. He fell down and broke his shoulder. Then, he went to the hospital emergency and got it fixed and right away he went back to work the same day - he's a really tough guy. Oh yeah, the guy who broke his shoulder is one who makes a six figure income. There is one guy who rode a unicycle to work. There is one lady who rollerblades to work.

Let me tell you that I like to try to run to work. Not walk, but I love running. Usually, I'll park my car as far as possible, then I run like crazy to work like I'm in a track and field world championship sprint. I look like a dork, but it's a excellent way to get some exercise before a start work and it wakes me up big time when I don't get enough sleep the night before work.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would ride to work...but crappy roads, dumb drivers in a rush, and no place to shower, etc.

I ride when I get home though!

04-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep

I google the said bill and all they talked about are pertaining to tax breaks for big corporation for using alternative fuel. Anyone here works for a large corp in the HR dept heard anything about the above bill?

Yes too bad, many cities do not have programs setup for people who likes to ride to work. I feel the same way, unless you find a safe route, then I would not risk my life sharing the same road with lunatics drivers.

I know there are other factors that prevent pep from riding to work. Like if you are married and have kids, then you will need to drive the car to drop your kids off to school or pick them up after school.
      04-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Hey I have something not to do...

Don't drink from the water bottle, then go to put the bottle in the cage, and miss. I thought it was in, and heard it bounce behind me..

So I stopped, and watched as 20 cars went by it. Half took it down the middle, half went around it. The last car in the pack was tailgating and I thought they were going to nail it. Somehow he didn't. Then I sprinted out Wimbledon Tennis ballboy style to grab it (road is 50 mph)..

Man did I feel like a jackass.. So yeah, don't do that..

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey I have something not to do...

Don't drink from the water bottle, then go to put the bottle in the cage, and miss. I thought it was in, and heard it bounce behind me..

So I stopped, and watched as 20 cars went by it. Half took it down the middle, half went around it. The last car in the pack was tailgating and I thought they were going to nail it. Somehow he didn't. Then I sprinted out Wimbledon Tennis ballboy style to grab it (road is 50 mph)..

Man did I feel like a jackass.. So yeah, don't do that..
but at the same time we don't want anyone to dehydrate do we
      04-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
but at the same time we don't want anyone to dehydrate do we
Camel Pack FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i thought about it since i live 4 miles away from work. i was told i'll have to spend the first hour trying to shower on the sink coz i'll be all sweaty so i forgot about it. now that my car drinks gas like no other im gonna think about it again
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i thought about it since i live 4 miles away from work. i was told i'll have to spend the first hour trying to shower on the sink coz i'll be all sweaty so i forgot about it. now that my car drinks gas like no other im gonna think about it again
get a bicycle, slap on some ///m sticker and you won't know the difference

congrats on the new M! Can I drive your M some day when I go to cali?
      04-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post

Unless you go balls to the walls... on a road bike you should be able to ride ~15 mph without breaking a sweat (unless it is hot enough that you sweat just walking).

edit: Mantis... what is CF leather?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Absolute perfection in a trim. I saw it in an M3 at the dealership.. It looks sick...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
get a bicycle, slap on some ///m sticker and you won't know the difference

congrats on the new M! Can I drive your M some day when I go to cali?
thanks! come here and we'll talk everyone has driven my M now lol

Quote:
Unless you go balls to the walls... on a road bike you should be able to ride ~15 mph without breaking a sweat (unless it is hot enough that you sweat just walking).

my car's trim. it's leather with carbon fiber prints kinda thing.
some pics here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133637
Quote:
Absolute perfection in a trim. I saw it in an M3 at the dealership.. It looks sick...
yah i love it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Oh. I have just heard it called CF trim... never heard the leather part. I was thinking your seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Hey, I got my first flat last week on the front tire. lucky it was a very slow leak and the tire did not go flat completely until 4 hours after I finish riding.

My option was to have the tire repair or buy a new inner tube. Decided to buy the new inner tube and I kept the old tube so I can patch/repair it. The shop shows me how easy it was to replace the inner tube on a moutain bike tire.

I also learned another tip for those who carry a tire repair kit when riding, make sure you have a pair of latex gloves. Working on the rear tire can get greasy and you don't want all that grease on your hands and then on your handle bar.

I also find this DYI repair tutorial very useful at park tool as well:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/