E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > who makes jackets/blazers without..

01-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
matt.love84
xXx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90.

who makes jackets/blazers without..

shoulder padding what so ever?

I can't stand it. I'm not a big guy by any means (6' and about 170 pounds) but for some reason I just can't wear a jacket that has it.. it makes the jacket feel huge.

So, anyone know of a designer that makes solid jackets w/o the padding?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

i think armani does a soft shoulder. it might be gucci, though.

it sounds like the jacket is too big. is the seam on the jacket well outside your shoulder?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
truong321
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

head over to your nearest mall and look at different stores
      01-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
matt.love84
xXx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90.

only a bit, maybe I'm a 38R now.

I wouldn't say it's "well" outside. Also, maybe the cut of the jacket just feels big. It's not a newer "armani" jacket.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
What do you wear now? Many Italian designers generally have slimmer cut suits. English suits may have less or no padding.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
What do you wear now? Many Italian designers generally have slimmer cut suits. English suits may have less or no padding.
yeah at 6' and 170 slim cut would be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.love84 View Post

I can't stand it. I'm not a big guy by any means (6' and about 170 pounds) but for some reason I just can't wear a jacket that has it.. it makes the jacket feel huge.

Thanks
Well, normal look for a suit is for a squared shoulder. That means most makers put in some padding just to smooth the natural slope. My dad has very square shoulders, can't have the padding, so he has it removed when the jacket is bought. A good tailor can do this.

I get my suits made (sadly - can't get them off the rack) and request this when they are made. You want something to reinforce the shoulder to keep it smooth, but it doesn't need to be much. My suits / tux just have a lot of extra fabric in the shoulder - it was an option when I had them made. Check out "made to measure" at a local mens clothing store. It's cheaper than "custom", but gives you 99% of the fit. Samuelson, H Freeman and Hickey Freeman all offer this.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
only a bit, maybe I'm a 38R now.

I wouldn't say it's "well" outside. Also, maybe the cut of the jacket just feels big. It's not a newer "armani" jacket.
wow, ok, uh.... Not sure on the smaller sizes. I wear a 54L w/ a 38" waist. I have a much different problem than you. Still consider a custome or made-to-measure jacket. It solves all problems. Expect to pay about $700 for a good suit made-to-measure.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:

Thanks
Here's the deal. Suits with unstructured shoulders are typically reserved for tropical weight pieces (summer) and they are less formal. The reality is that you can wear a suit with a structured shoulder but what you are wearing currently is not the proper cut. Armani Collezioni has a "New Soft Line" that has less of a structure, but based on your dimensions I wouldn't go this route. Especially if you are thin you should have a cut that gives you more of an hour glass shape with a higher arm hole.

I am a 38R and if I put on a 39R I look like I'm wearing football pads. With suits it's all about getting the proper cut. The best thing to do is go into a good suit store and try a few models on. American manufacturers will be more boxy while European designers will give you that tailored slim line look. I recommend Saks to do your trying on. Start with Hugo Boss (entry level) and work your way on up.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

i dont like shoulder pads either.
      02-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
wow, ok, uh.... Not sure on the smaller sizes. I wear a 54L w/ a 38" waist. I have a much different problem than you. Still consider a custome or made-to-measure jacket. It solves all problems. Expect to pay about $700 for a good suit made-to-measure.
+1 on the custom or made-to-measure suits.
If you can afford it, this is the way to go. I'm 6'2" and 160ish, tall and thin, 38L is where I'd be with an off-the-rack suit. I was never really comfortable in suits till I bought my first custom one. Now I have four, and anything else just feels big and sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Here's the deal. Suits with unstructured shoulders are typically reserved for tropical weight pieces (summer) and they are less formal. The reality is that you can wear a suit with a structured shoulder but what you are wearing currently is not the proper cut. Especially if you are thin you should have a cut that gives you more of an hour glass shape with a higher arm hole.

I am a 38R and if I put on a 39R I look like I'm wearing football pads. With suits it's all about getting the proper cut. The best thing to do is go into a good suit store and try a few models on. American manufacturers will be more boxy while European designers will give you that tailored slim line look.
Like he said, unstructured suits are best for casual/summer environments. A well cut suit will address the shoulder issues, and look at a European style suit with the higher arm-holes. This will give you the strong shoulder, without looking like a linebacker. If you go for a suit off the rack, also check out Calvin Klein.