E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health insurance help for me?

10-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Health insurance help for me?

I am 22 years old and am not on my parents policy and I am going to Penn State as a transfer student in January via ROTC scholarship. I am a Maine resident at the moment and I am under Maine Medical Center free care as a student. This is kind of a pain because though ER visits are all taken care of, when I need an appointment for something to get fixed I have to schedule with the Maine Med clinic which consists of mainly Doctors in there residency (I think?) and usually the appointments are months and months out. I am trying to figure out what my options are for health insurance as a 22 year old student without it being crap insurance or extremely expensive.

I am in the Army Reserve but I was told that the Tri-Care Select was not very good and I can not be on my parents policy because my fathers is Maine State employee insurance (freaking crap) and my mother is disabled. I also do not know what kind of insurance is very good insurance, all I see are numbers and what SOUNDS good but I really just do not know. Could someone break it down for me, and or recommend what kind of route I should take and what IS the best coverage. I just remember before I turned 19 if I needed something checked out or taken care of, it was 100% and I never heard of my parents talking about having to pay for anything aside from "Co-pay"...

Last edited by xxForgedxx; 10-11-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Nothing wrong with TriCare. You should be able to find doc's that take it. It's not the best, but there is not "best" anymore.

Also ask the school about insurance. They use to offer it free when I went to college, but that was many years ago. They may still offer something for cheap. Just pay attention to Copays for office visits and meds. Then there's the deductable if it's a PPO, which is the amount docs/labs/radiology/hospitals have to bill you before the insurance kicks in, and the final big one is "total out of pocket" for a year, which means, above that number, they take over.

I got a very good rate through Paychex. They mainly do payroll services, but also do insurance. The plans are all the same, but some broker's can get you a better deal than others.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Nothing wrong with TriCare. You should be able to find doc's that take it. It's not the best, but there is not "best" anymore.

Also ask the school about insurance. They use to offer it free when I went to college, but that was many years ago. They may still offer something for cheap. Just pay attention to Copays for office visits and meds. Then there's the deductable if it's a PPO, which is the amount docs/labs/radiology/hospitals have to bill you before the insurance kicks in, and the final big one is "total out of pocket" for a year, which means, above that number, they take over.

I got a very good rate through Paychex. They mainly do payroll services, but also do insurance. The plans are all the same, but some broker's can get you a better deal than others.
Tri-Care Select is about $74.00 a month... Could you give an example of what would be GOOD coverage? as far as figures? I still don't know how the out of pocket part works... would it be installments?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

what the hell, no one knows anything about health insurance?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
what the hell, no one knows anything about health insurance?
the ammount of shit you post it appears you dont know anything about anything
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
the ammount of shit you post it appears you dont know anything about anything
How about you do your own little census on the amount of people my age know much about health insurance. Move the fuck on ya smart ass
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep

im 21 and have a $0 co-pay and full coverage
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
im 21 and have a $0 co-pay and full coverage
Ok what does that have to do with me? Or how insurance works? You are 21 with 100% coverage, but you didn't mention deductibles, the company you are with or what the coverage costs per month. Chances are youre still on mommy and daddys insurance. Or you just THINK that is your coverage because they pay for it regardless.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Ok what does that have to do with me? Or how insurance works? You are 21 with 100% coverage, but you didn't mention deductibles, the company you are with or what the coverage costs per month. Chances are youre still on mommy and daddys insurance. Or you just THINK that is your coverage because they pay for it regardless.
okay. i have a union job, therefore my insurance is covered by my employer. My provider is GHI, perhaps one of the largest providers in the country. Yes, i do have 100% coverage, and i have no deductable, hence $0 co-pay. I don't THINK anything, i know. and i reccomend that you avoid thinking, because you are just no good at it
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

There are hundreds of plans out there and you really need to find what you're comfortable paying not only as a premium (monthly bill) but what you may end up paying if you get really sick. That's the Total out of Pocket for a year, which should include copays, and any deductables.

Check with TriCare and your school. I believe if you're active duty, there's no copay with TriCare.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
There are hundreds of plans out there and you really need to find what you're comfortable paying not only as a premium (monthly bill) but what you may end up paying if you get really sick. That's the Total out of Pocket for a year, which should include copays, and any deductables.

Check with TriCare and your school. I believe if you're active duty, there's no copay with TriCare.
I am not active duty. I am in the reserves, transferring to NG.
Appreciate 0