E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Accounting Software: Peachtree vs. Quickbooks

08-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Accounting Software: Peachtree vs. Quickbooks

Has anyone here used both for small business applications? I am currently using Peachtree and every day I like it less and less, it uses massive amounts of memory to run and is slow and cumbersome to navigate between it's functions. I can't even have more than 1 type of the same "order" open at the same time, ie 2 purchase orders open or 2 sales orders open simultaneously. Even functions that should be simple such as discounts on AP must be entered manually since it is near impossible to exclude tax from the total (it is possible but would require knowing the tax rate for each town we buy from - which would require a separate vendor ID for vendors with multiple locations ie most of them) but I digress

I know there are more than a few of you who have your own small businesses - anyone able to comment on whether or not Quickbooks is any better? I know it will be impossible for it to be perfect but there has to be something better out there. That or I will be looking to convert to more conventional style database soon...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I've been using Peachtree 2008 Accountant's edition, and I like it. I don't need the payroll tax tables (no employees), so that makes it easier. I'll be moving up to Peachtree 2011 next year.

My wife is a CPA specializing in small businesses, so she uses both with her clients. I asked her about it, and this is how she put it:
"It depends on what you are doing. But generaly, Peachtree is better for accounting-minded people, and Quickbooks is better for dipshits. Quickbooks will let you create a much bigger mess too." Her words, not mine.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I've been using Peachtree 2008 Accountant's edition, and I like it. I don't need the payroll tax tables (no employees), so that makes it easier. I'll be moving up to Peachtree 2011 next year.

My wife is a CPA specializing in small businesses, so she uses both with her clients. I asked her about it, and this is how she put it:
"It depends on what you are doing. But generaly, Peachtree is better for accounting-minded people, and Quickbooks is better for dipshits. Quickbooks will let you create a much bigger mess too." Her words, not mine.
Hmm I was sort of afraid of that given QB's popularity was that it was the more "user friendly for dummies" edition that doesn't really let you do what you need to when you know what you are doing. I just find it odd that I'm not even a CPA and am running into the limitations of the software doing bookkeeping
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Many years back when I was 15 I set up Quickbooks for a local store (since they were all dipshits). I remember it being pretty easy to understand, considering at the time I had no accounting knowledge or knowledge of the program. I know that's not much of a help, but it seemed like a decent program. Maybe there is some type of demo you can download to see if you like it?
      08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Maybe there is some type of demo you can download to see if you like it?
I do have limited experience with the home version for just menial things like filing income taxes and the like, I might look into a trial version but I sorta have a feeling after reading the CPA's comments that a DB is gonna be my best bet
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

UGH... I effin' hate Peachtree with a passion, but unfortunately it's what I've got to use on a daily basis.
Cumbersome/slow/buggy, etc...

I don't have much experience with Quickbooks, but my dad has 6 businesses that he runs through it and he swears by it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
UGH... I effin' hate Peachtree with a passion, but unfortunately it's what I've got to use on a daily basis.
Cumbersome/slow/buggy, etc...
LOL nice to know I'm not the only one suffering in Chicagoland
Appreciate 0