E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top Gear USA premiere tonight! History Channel (thoughts and reviews)

11-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

The show was garbage. The idea for this episode was unbelievably stupid, and I had to stop watching about 10 minutes in after I realized it wasn't getting any better. Why the hell would a car race a helicopter, wtf? And what the hell was up with them barely showing us the race around the track in the Viper ARC? It was like a 20 second scene. They probably talked longer about the time "stig" got than they did about how the car did on the course. DISAPPOINTING!!

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Give it a few episodes guys. Go back and watch the first episodes of the UK top gear. It sucked ass at first too
The first season before May showed up was crappy too. I will watch and hope it improves like the original did. Every year the original got better. The real question is can this show get a serious following to give them time to get better.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

You can never beat the original but I'm not looking at it like that nor was I expecting it. It's one more show about cars and if you love cars you will watch it. You now have this to hold you over until the Top Gear UK season premier so to me it's a win WIN!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #26
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Come on guys, it wasn't a complete fail. It wasn't as good as the British one, but give these guys some time. Hopefully they'll get better with time, at least I hope so. Were you guys so great at sex the first time?....

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #27
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
tries too hard to mimic the british version, and these hosts give enthusiasts a bad name, they look like the biggest dorks ever.
      11-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
The show was garbage. The idea for this episode was unbelievably stupid, and I had to stop watching about 10 minutes in after I realized it wasn't getting any better. Why the hell would a car race a helicopter, wtf? And what the hell was up with them barely showing us the race around the track in the Viper ARC? It was like a 20 second scene. They probably talked longer about the time "stig" got than they did about how the car did on the course. DISAPPOINTING!!

Some of the things Top Gear UK have raced cars against:

1) Apache
2) Cessna
3) Eurofighter
4) Train/boat/public transportion/bike
5) Guys running around on foot

So I don't get your complaint.
      11-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #29
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Mamaz boy, fat azz, and well 3rd guy is ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #30
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I'll give it shot tonight...I just wish they have a better time like 8 or 9pm. Since I have to wake up early for work.
Also the network choice is kinda awkward, on History Channel. Where this is a new program with very less history attached.
      11-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
adrianBMW99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I'll give it shot tonight...I just wish they have a better time like 8 or 9pm. Since I have to wake up early for work.
Also the network choice is kinda awkward, on History Channel. Where this is a new program with very less history attached.
I think this may be one of the problems; in the UK, this is a primetime show on a major channel with major funding. Everyone waits for it all week, here it seems like 8 out of 10 people have no idea what Top Gear is. In the UK the show is not narrowed or brought down to a car audience exclusively but instead is made to appeal to everyone with its humor and challenges, here it appears to be the direct opposite and it isn't working so well.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #32
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Some of the things Top Gear UK have raced cars against:

1) Apache
2) Cessna
3) Eurofighter
4) Train/boat/public transportion/bike
5) Guys running around on foot

So I don't get your complaint.
I'm sorry but I don't recall saying anything about Top Gear UK, so please, don't jump the gun. However, I do love Top Gear UK. I haven't seen any of the episodes where they race the above mentioned things, but I'm sure their approach was MUCH less tacky than the approach the U.S. version took. The U.S. version was pretty much something like this: "Ahhhh let me PRETEND to honestly chase you in this helicopter even though I would never really lose you just because you made a U turn....and then let me spontaneously find you and keep chasing you until you pull into a car wash where I cease to see you and fly away....." That show was aimed at children or some other worldly beings that don't understand how the world works.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

It was hard to go into this without prejudice....really hard. I've been watching Top Gear since the beginning. How do you replace Clarkson? Every thing that comes out of his mouth is recockulous. How do you recreate the nuanced banter between the trio without introducing a scripted feel to it all? Clarkson, May, and Hammond are like fraternal triplets.... they know exactly how to push each others buttons. How do you come up with insane stunts that often require breaking both written laws and physical laws? The answer is that you don't. Don't copy the original. Top Gear is something special that is impossible to recreate. Come up with something new. I hope that Top Gear America will do just that...quit trying to copy. It's obviously lame. I have hope that the producer are smart enough to create something new out of this. Hate to see this fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #34
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
tries too hard to mimic the british version, and these hosts give enthusiasts a bad name, they look like the biggest dorks ever.
To be fair i dont think hammond or may were ever considered "cool"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #35
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't recall saying anything about Top Gear UK, so please, don't jump the gun. However, I do love Top Gear UK. I haven't seen any of the episodes where they race the above mentioned things, but I'm sure their approach was MUCH less tacky than the approach the U.S. version took. The U.S. version was pretty much something like this: "Ahhhh let me PRETEND to honestly chase you in this helicopter even though I would never really lose you just because you made a U turn....and then let me spontaneously find you and keep chasing you until you pull into a car wash where I cease to see you and fly away....." That show was aimed at children or some other worldly beings that don't understand how the world works.
you obviously dont know what youre talking about

top gear UK did the exact same childish antic with

lotus elise against an apache
land rover against a tank

same u turns, out turn out smart the other vehicle.

half of what top gear does is childish, thats what makes it so loveable.

sure the US version didnt do it with as much style as the UK version but keep in mind the UK version didnt start out so hot either.

i suggest you watch the earlier episodes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #36
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I saw it and it was OK. I still like the UK version better.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
you obviously dont know what youre talking about

top gear UK did the exact same childish antic with

lotus elise against an apache
land rover against a tank

same u turns, out turn out smart the other vehicle.

half of what top gear does is childish, thats what makes it so loveable.

sure the US version didnt do it with as much style as the UK version but keep in mind the UK version didnt start out so hot either.

i suggest you watch the earlier episodes.
Apparently you can't read, because I clearly stated I never saw any of the episodes where they did those races on the UK version. I can infer that the UK version did a better job though, considering I've seen the show and it is much better than what I have seen of the U.S. version thus far. Will the U.S. version get better? Maybe, but until then, the show sucks.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #38
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
You have a DVR?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #39
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Wasn't expecting it to come close to Top Gear UK. Anyone who did, is rather ignorant.

The hosts blow, but I will watch for the cars. Not much on US tv to watch anyways, except for sports.

I will put the shows on the DVR and watch them in my free time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #40
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:

Apparently you can't read, because I clearly stated I never saw any of the episodes where they did those races on the UK version. I can infer that the UK version did a better job though, considering I've seen the show and it is much better than what I have seen of the U.S. version thus far. Will the U.S. version get better? Maybe, but until then, the show sucks.
You keep changing your argument. You said at fist who the hell would race a helicopter against a car, that's so stupid. So I tell you how the original Top Gear did the same exact thing and many similar "stupid" chases which is where the U.S. version got the idea from. And you know what, all of them were just as unbelievable as the U.S. version. I mean, you really think that the Lotus could "hide" under the Apache without them knowing? There was also a special where a Evo was trying to outrun a tank. If the tank really wanted it would have toasted the Evo.

So after calling those types of races dumb, you change your story to "well the UK version must be better!". No shit it's gonna be better. They had 15 seasons to hone their formula. The U.S. version just started and these host have never worked together before.

I suggest before you open your mouth and make wild assumptions you go watch some old season one episodes of Top Gear UK when they had 15 people in the studio, a fat bloke, and a black Stig. It sucked pretty bad back then too.
      11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #41
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I liked the end with the lambos, that was it xD
      11-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #42
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Think it was a bad idea calling it "Top Gear". It's like....hey, the Beatles are a good and well liked band, but lets make it more American friendly by making our own band called...the Beatles US and having some hick and other kids in it. This just doesn't work. They shoulda just made a show like Top Gear that is entertainment based around cars......not droning on about car specs.....and called it something else.

The three guys just don't seem right to me. Listening to their narration before the show even starts and I get the feeling (the southern guy anyway...didn't get beyond him) they are not sure of themselves. I had to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #43
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
You keep changing your argument. You said at fist who the hell would race a helicopter against a car, that's so stupid. So I tell you how the original Top Gear did the same exact thing and many similar "stupid" chases which is where the U.S. version got the idea from. And you know what, all of them were just as unbelievable as the U.S. version. I mean, you really think that the Lotus could "hide" under the Apache without them knowing? There was also a special where a Evo was trying to outrun a tank. If the tank really wanted it would have toasted the Evo.

So after calling those types of races dumb, you change your story to "well the UK version must be better!". No shit it's gonna be better. They had 15 seasons to hone their formula. The U.S. version just started and these host have never worked together before.

I suggest before you open your mouth and make wild assumptions you go watch some old season one episodes of Top Gear UK when they had 15 people in the studio, a fat bloke, and a black Stig. It sucked pretty bad back then too.
I'm not changing my argument, you veered my original statement off target. I first said that the idea they used for the first episode of Top Gear U.S. was stupid. I never even brought up Top Gear UK, you just assumed I was thinking the same way that all the other commenters were. Crimson92 then proceeded to tell me that the UK version did the same thing. I then said that, while I have never seen the UK version episodes where they performed these races, they most likely did a better job of it, judging off of the other episodes of the UK Top Gear I have seen. You then said "No shit it's gonna be better". Where am I changing my argument? You are arguing and agreeing with me at the same time. Pure genius............

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #44
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Appreciate 0