E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

04-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #89
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Wow. This thread is a mess.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #90
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I wonder who is to blame for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #91
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is a BMW forum, where BMW owners and fans speak about BMW and other cars. But when, Audi owners, fans and employees (footie), come here with there so to say facts and opinions, of course there is going to be clash (shiggy). I do not think there are many BMW owners and fans, even less employees, on Audi forums. In fact it is strange that the Audi community on the internet is so small, yet 50 % of the people on the earth would take an Audi over a BMW and a Mercedes.

Last edited by BMW269; 04-20-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #92
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
To be more precise, everytime footie makes a audi thread in general, something or someone always manages to ruin it for everyone else.

Very true, the audi/vw online community is a lot smaller than that of the bmw group. Why? I don't know.

My assumption is cuz the majority of people that buy a benz or audi aren't really looking for driving performance, they are looking for status. Plus, I see a lot more of the younger crowd buying a bmw (which are also more tech savvy than the older counterparts, generally speaking that is) whereas the older crowd goes after the other 2 brands. I maybe wrong but it's something I notice while driving.

Like I said before, this thread and many others in the non bmw section. Expect to see other car enthusiast talking about non bmw cars and their passion for em. The fact that some indviduals decide to throw in bmw blind pride is unnecessary. This is a bmw board, fact is we all love bmws. But a lot of us also love different cars as well.

Last edited by Garduna; 04-20-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #93
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
To be more precise, whenever footie makes a audi thread in general, it ends up becoming a mess
Are you stating that I am the cause of this and other threads ending up a mess.

Sorry but I don't buy that one little bit, in fact read through this and other threads to see if it's my comments that at to blame or is it more to do with the fact that certain others dislike the logic I bring to a discussion and find to hard to argue their points across.

In fact I have tried to steer clear of shiggy on this thread as best I can which isn't easy and when I do comment on his remarks I have tried to keep it civil.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #94
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Are you stating that I am the cause of this and other threads ending up a mess.

Sorry but I don't buy that one little bit, in fact read through this and other threads to see if it's my comments that at to blame or is it more to do with the fact that certain others dislike the logic I bring to a discussion and find to hard to argue their points across.

In fact I have tried to steer clear of shiggy on this thread as best I can which isn't easy and when I do comment on his remarks I have tried to keep it civil.
LOL opps, I didn't mean it that way footie!!!

Should re edit it to say "To be more precise, everytime footie makes a audi thread in general, something or someone always manages to ruin it for everyone else."
That's what I meant to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #95
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Too much badge loving. I can't believe people personalize what brand of car they own so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #96
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
LOL opps, I didn't mean it that way footie!!!

Should re edit it to say "To be more precise, everytime footie makes a audi thread in general, something or someone always manages to ruin it for everyone else."
That's what I meant to say.
Sorry for getting so defensive. I suppose when I am faced attacks from all sides it just makes you that way.

So again sorry for my misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #97
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Too much badge loving. I can't believe people personalize what brand of car they own so much.
+100
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #98
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Porsche badge loving is even stronger than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #99
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately lots of people do it
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #100
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Loving a certain brand isn't a bad thing.................but what is is to disregarding all others as inferior simply because they aren't made by your personal favourite, sadly there are too many that feel and behave this way.

Last edited by footie; 04-20-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #101
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Here's another sweet wee video of the RS5 at Ascari.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #102
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't think badge loving is exclusive to one brand, or more stronger for owners of a certain brand.

I don't judge entire groups of people by the type of cars they drive (at least not seriously). I look at people as individuals, and look at their actions. That's far more telling to me than any stereotype could ever be.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #103
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Quote:

Liking a brand is one thing but some folks in here just takes it way too serious. Does a car you drive tell people how smart and superior you are? At the end of the day, to the other 6 billion folks out there it will just be BMW 3 series and Audi 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #104
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

Said the guy with 2 BMW emblems and 1 BMW silhouette in his avatar.

Weeeeeeee!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #105
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
      04-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #106
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Here's another sweet wee video of the RS5 at Ascari.
my god that thing sounds awesome
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #107
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. It's pretty sad (and funny) people are butthurt when somebody tells them their BMW is slower than this or worse than that. They are as common as Corollas; who cares if you have one or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #108
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

BMW makes good cars. So does Audi. So does Ford for that matter.

I guess it doesn't make sense to me to bash one just to make the one you own, "better".
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #109
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Let's all put this whole which car is better or not behind us and simply discuss the RS5 and it's possible merits and failings.

Here's another review from Winding Roads

The Audi RS5 coupe really has everything going for it if we stare it down while it’s sitting still or if we study the spec sheet. How can you go wrong, after all, with a 444-horsepower, latest-generation, 4.2-liter FSI V-8 with all that power maxing out at the 8250-rpm redline? The torque comes out to assist nicely, too, at 317 maximum pound-feet between 4000 and 6000 rpm.

That’s not all, of course. The RS5’s driveline incorporates the very latest version of the Quattro all-wheel drive’s center differential which finally makes it possible to have up to 85 percent of torque going to the rear axle and up to 70 percent sent to the front axle, the whole fourth-generation system with its dual-crown wheel design now weighing nearly 14 pounds less than the existing Torsen C-coupled system. Another standard dynamic ingredient here is the added ESP software feature of torque vectoring that, as non-intrusively as possible, sends juice to the outer wheels and slows the inner wheels as needed to get rid of notorious Quattro understeer during high performance curvaceous maneuvers. Torque vectoring can also chime in to make your oversteer episodes more manageable and regret-free.

And the RS5 coupe sits four-tenths of an inch lower than the S5 (which in turn sits four-tenths lower than the A5), which helps maximize everything the standard Audi Drive Select adaptive dynamics system can do.

This all sounds sooo great and we already want to love it before we even throw ourselves in to the unsurprisingly impeccable RS5 interior. But, as with all Audi RS models, we are predisposed to look closely at how hulking heavy the car may be. The RS5 coupe—according to the European scales—has a curb weight (i.e. all fluids, 90 percent fuel, a standard human body, plus a gym bag filled with sweaty clothes) of 3970 pounds. That’s a weight to power ratio of 8.94 pounds per horsepower. A 451-horsepower Mercedes C63 AMG sedan (the C coupe is on its way, they say) registers 8.70 pounds per horse, while the 414-horsepower BMW M3 coupe shows 9.35 pounds per. Estimated 0-60 mph acceleration on all three, however, is more or less 4.5 seconds, but the Mercedes in real-world testing has pretty much established itself as the performance leader so far among German nationals.

Can the RS5 coupe honestly stand up to these other guys? After eight hot laps at the Ascari circuit in southern Spain and an outbound and inbound rip along the legendary Ronda Road, we say yes, it can. If we could have all three of these manly Germans in their most basic form and for an entire day of thrash-it-out acrobatics, then we could give you the definitive answers. For now, we’ll say the Audi RS5 coupe that we were handed comes easily closer to the C63 AMG than does the M3 coupe. We really, really want a New Age, 450-horsepower, CSL powerhouse version of the M3 and as soon as possible. We’ll try out the GTS M3 in June, so our BMW connections tell us, and that’ll put our grumblings to bed.

We qualify the statement again, saying that the Sepang Blue RS5 coupe we were handed was loaded to the gills with dynamic goodies—for one, the ADS system was enhanced with the onboard MMI-based Dynamic Steering and we could calibrate all factors of the ADS (suspension, steering, throttle, transmission) at will through this interface. We also had the optional twenty-inch wheel and tire sets, the rear Sport Differential, Dynamic Ride Control, chromed Boysen sport exhaust system, and the carbon ceramic brake discs. Mix all of this with the lowered stance, torque vectoring, and improved Quattro traction setup, and we were having one of those days where there was that sense of total security and feeling free to toss the RS5 wherever we wanted it to go.

This is easily the best Audi RennSport-level experience we’ve yet had. The RS6 Avant and sedan, the TT RS, and former-gen RS4 lineup, have all been like pushing really fast pigs around when it came to serious dynamically demanding situations. This new Quattro center coupling working more nimbly and sending more oomph to where it needs to go fore and aft, plus the hyperactively quick torque vectoring electro-hydraulics, makes it all possible. And you must have the Sport Differential on your RS5 as well, since it’s even faster at dealing with the rear wheels’ needs under all circumstances—to the point that when there’s this better diff on board, the torque vectoring can concentrate exclusively on the front axle. Then the Dynamic Ride Control is sweet icing on the cake, keeping us level through squealing hairpins and the like.

In the Dynamic mode of the ADS system, the ESP automatically goes to higher thresholds. A good pal on the track crew at this event, however, opened the passenger side door before our last two laps and rigged some setup via the glove compartment. Flashed on the center digital display was a wonderful message: “ESP Sport” and it also showed the symbol for Stability Control Off. This allowed our final laps to be real tear-ups. We were feeling the chassis of the new Quattro RS trim doing what it has been engineered to do at its limits and the drifts were monumental yet completely controllable. Our smile by the end was like the smile we get after a classic rollercoaster ride. We were far from making “fast pig” comments like we regularly have up until now and coffee was not needed the rest of the day for added energy.

It’s nice to get back in a hot Audi again, too, that uses the seven-speed S-tronic transmission with its automated dual multi-plate clutches. (We are not big fans of the automated R-tronic single-clutch gearbox without torque converter.) The shifts are buffered yet quick, so there’s a lot of mechanical and software fairy dust sprinkled over this tranny. The reaction of the performance exhaust on our test car was brilliant, too, with the V-8 coming really close to a big scream at 8250 rpm. It’s great when an able system encourages us to stay between 6000 and 8000 rpm for the absolute best shifts.

But not only is the RS5 technology aboard finally getting us closer to the RS-ness we keep whining about wanting, but the RS5 coupe’s positioning of the driver and cabin is ideal for that elusive added sense in our inner ears of spatial equilibrium under every dynamic scenario you can imagine. And when the rain decided to hit on the Ronda Road, we were still doing things with the RS5 Quattro that would no doubt have been less possible in the C63 Merc or M3 Bimmer.

This perfect orientation of the driver position in the RS5 coupe also has the happy benefit of rendering the car absolutely gorgeous to our eyes. That Audi cheats a little and uses more eye-popping colors on occasion is just fine, too.

Audi Quattro marketing bosses confirmed for us at this Spanish event that the RS5 coupe will be coming to North America as well. There had been some doubt on this, just because Audi North America worries over the small-volume risks of two-door expensive sports cars scaring away the American public. But they can trust this one. The RS5 coupe could still weigh 300 pounds less and that would make it even better than it is for our racing brains, but even as is, it is a gem.

Can you wait until September 2011? It’ll be worth it. Ours come fully loaded with every option we mentioned above, too. Because we’re worth it.

2011 Audi RS5 Coupe
Engine: V-8, 4.2 liters, 32v
Output: 444 hp / 317 lb-ft
0-60 (est.): 4.5 seconds
Top Speed: 155 mph*
Weight: 3970 lb
Base Price (est.): $69,500
As Tested (est.): $82,000
*optional sport setting to 174 mph

Last edited by footie; 04-21-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #110
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Let's all put this whole which car is better or not behind us and simply discuss the RS5 and it's possible merits and failings.

Here's another review from Winding Roads

The Audi RS5 coupe really has everything going for it if we stare it down while it’s sitting still or if we study the spec sheet. How can you go wrong, after all, with a 444-horsepower, latest-generation, 4.2-liter FSI V-8 with all that power maxing out at the 8250-rpm redline? The torque comes out to assist nicely, too, at 317 maximum pound-feet between 4000 and 6000 rpm.

That’s not all, of course. The RS5’s driveline incorporates the very latest version of the Quattro all-wheel drive’s center differential which finally makes it possible to have up to 85 percent of torque going to the rear axle and up to 70 percent sent to the front axle, the whole fourth-generation system with its dual-crown wheel design now weighing nearly 14 pounds less than the existing Torsen C-coupled system. Another standard dynamic ingredient here is the added ESP software feature of torque vectoring that, as non-intrusively as possible, sends juice to the outer wheels and slows the inner wheels as needed to get rid of notorious Quattro understeer during high performance curvaceous maneuvers. Torque vectoring can also chime in to make your oversteer episodes more manageable and regret-free.

And the RS5 coupe sits four-tenths of an inch lower than the S5 (which in turn sits four-tenths lower than the A5), which helps maximize everything the standard Audi Drive Select adaptive dynamics system can do.

This all sounds sooo great and we already want to love it before we even throw ourselves in to the unsurprisingly impeccable RS5 interior. But, as with all Audi RS models, we are predisposed to look closely at how hulking heavy the car may be. The RS5 coupe—according to the European scales—has a curb weight (i.e. all fluids, 90 percent fuel, a standard human body, plus a gym bag filled with sweaty clothes) of 3970 pounds. That’s a weight to power ratio of 8.94 pounds per horsepower. A 451-horsepower Mercedes C63 AMG sedan (the C coupe is on its way, they say) registers 8.70 pounds per horse, while the 414-horsepower BMW M3 coupe shows 9.35 pounds per. Estimated 0-60 mph acceleration on all three, however, is more or less 4.5 seconds, but the Mercedes in real-world testing has pretty much established itself as the performance leader so far among German nationals.

Can the RS5 coupe honestly stand up to these other guys? After eight hot laps at the Ascari circuit in southern Spain and an outbound and inbound rip along the legendary Ronda Road, we say yes, it can. If we could have all three of these manly Germans in their most basic form and for an entire day of thrash-it-out acrobatics, then we could give you the definitive answers. For now, we’ll say the Audi RS5 coupe that we were handed comes easily closer to the C63 AMG than does the M3 coupe. We really, really want a New Age, 450-horsepower, CSL powerhouse version of the M3 and as soon as possible. We’ll try out the GTS M3 in June, so our BMW connections tell us, and that’ll put our grumblings to bed.

We qualify the statement again, saying that the Sepang Blue RS5 coupe we were handed was loaded to the gills with dynamic goodies—for one, the ADS system was enhanced with the onboard MMI-based Dynamic Steering and we could calibrate all factors of the ADS (suspension, steering, throttle, transmission) at will through this interface. We also had the optional twenty-inch wheel and tire sets, the rear Sport Differential, Dynamic Ride Control, chromed Boysen sport exhaust system, and the carbon ceramic brake discs. Mix all of this with the lowered stance, torque vectoring, and improved Quattro traction setup, and we were having one of those days where there was that sense of total security and feeling free to toss the RS5 wherever we wanted it to go.

This is easily the best Audi RennSport-level experience we’ve yet had. The RS6 Avant and sedan, the TT RS, and former-gen RS4 lineup, have all been like pushing really fast pigs around when it came to serious dynamically demanding situations. This new Quattro center coupling working more nimbly and sending more oomph to where it needs to go fore and aft, plus the hyperactively quick torque vectoring electro-hydraulics, makes it all possible. And you must have the Sport Differential on your RS5 as well, since it’s even faster at dealing with the rear wheels’ needs under all circumstances—to the point that when there’s this better diff on board, the torque vectoring can concentrate exclusively on the front axle. Then the Dynamic Ride Control is sweet icing on the cake, keeping us level through squealing hairpins and the like.

In the Dynamic mode of the ADS system, the ESP automatically goes to higher thresholds. A good pal on the track crew at this event, however, opened the passenger side door before our last two laps and rigged some setup via the glove compartment. Flashed on the center digital display was a wonderful message: “ESP Sport” and it also showed the symbol for Stability Control Off. This allowed our final laps to be real tear-ups. We were feeling the chassis of the new Quattro RS trim doing what it has been engineered to do at its limits and the drifts were monumental yet completely controllable. Our smile by the end was like the smile we get after a classic rollercoaster ride. We were far from making “fast pig” comments like we regularly have up until now and coffee was not needed the rest of the day for added energy.

It’s nice to get back in a hot Audi again, too, that uses the seven-speed S-tronic transmission with its automated dual multi-plate clutches. (We are not big fans of the automated R-tronic single-clutch gearbox without torque converter.) The shifts are buffered yet quick, so there’s a lot of mechanical and software fairy dust sprinkled over this tranny. The reaction of the performance exhaust on our test car was brilliant, too, with the V-8 coming really close to a big scream at 8250 rpm. It’s great when an able system encourages us to stay between 6000 and 8000 rpm for the absolute best shifts.

But not only is the RS5 technology aboard finally getting us closer to the RS-ness we keep whining about wanting, but the RS5 coupe’s positioning of the driver and cabin is ideal for that elusive added sense in our inner ears of spatial equilibrium under every dynamic scenario you can imagine. And when the rain decided to hit on the Ronda Road, we were still doing things with the RS5 Quattro that would no doubt have been less possible in the C63 Merc or M3 Bimmer.

This perfect orientation of the driver position in the RS5 coupe also has the happy benefit of rendering the car absolutely gorgeous to our eyes. That Audi cheats a little and uses more eye-popping colors on occasion is just fine, too.

Audi Quattro marketing bosses confirmed for us at this Spanish event that the RS5 coupe will be coming to North America as well. There had been some doubt on this, just because Audi North America worries over the small-volume risks of two-door expensive sports cars scaring away the American public. But they can trust this one. The RS5 coupe could still weigh 300 pounds less and that would make it even better than it is for our racing brains, but even as is, it is a gem.

Can you wait until September 2011? It’ll be worth it. Ours come fully loaded with every option we mentioned above, too. Because we’re worth it.

2011 Audi RS5 Coupe
Engine: V-8, 4.2 liters, 32v
Output: 444 hp / 317 lb-ft
0-60 (est.): 4.5 seconds
Top Speed: 155 mph*
Weight: 3970 lb
Base Price (est.): $69,500
As Tested (est.): $82,000
*optional sport setting to 174 mph
Est. base price of $69,500. Where's the guy that said it would be $100k? Can't even remember his screen name. Also, doesn't BMW say the M3 does 0-60 in like 4.8 seconds yet real world it's in 4.3-4.4? I bet the RS5 can get there in 4 sec flat. This car sounds fantastic!
Can't even remember his screenname. This car sounds fantastic!