E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Forum Moderators

Closed Thread

12-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Forum Moderators

I have been reading about moderators being too overly quick to intervene, but if anything, they seem to be doing a pretty good job. I noticed that 2 annoying characters seemed to have suddenly been silenced. I am guessing they are banned and amen to that. Credit should be given when it's due! Good job guys

Last edited by clar; 12-26-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
ceesar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible

Garage List
I used to moderate a very popular forum, with literally millions of users, and I know what a thankless task it is ... so I agree, thank you.
2012 M3 Convertible, Jerez Black, Fox Red || 27/Aug : placed orded || 2/Nov : Entered production || 15/Nov : Finished production || 16/Nov : At the port waiting loading || 22/Nov : on a boat en-route to the West Coast || 29/Dec : arrives at dealer || 31/Dec : collected it, and loving every second of it since!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceesar View Post
I used to moderate a very popular forum, with literally millions of users, and I know what a thankless task it is ... so I agree, thank you.
I agree. My forum wasn't as large, but it was a challenge, especially when the visitors were all young (18-25).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I have been reading about moderators being too overly quick to intervene, but if anything, they seem to be doing a pretty good job. I noticed that 2 annoying characters seemed to have suddenly been silenced. I am guessing they are banned and amen to that. Credit should be given when it's due! Good job guys
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I am sure its not an easy job however why does there need to be a moderator on an internet page where you post information? Unless someone is posting threatning information or something illegal, than why not simply let threads take care of themselves. Reminds me of big govermnent trying to fix things from a top down approach instead of letting markets do their thing (not trying to debate this point here).

So what is the worst that happens if there was no moderator deleting threads and so on? If a thread was completely useless than people will either stop reading, posting or both and the topic will die. If a post continues to get posts and replies than it apparently is interesting and worth putting time into for many people and in that case why should a moderator pick and choose to shut this down?

I am curious what purpose a moderator is for?

With that said-given its probably a requirement I appreciate those who put in the time and effort to keep this up and running!

(this is not a criticism but rather an inquiry because I never understood need for a moderator on an internet forum of any type
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks, we do our best to strike an acceptable balance between keeping the peace and civility while letting members express themselves. Not always easy and opinions on whether the proper balance has been struck can differ, but like I said we're trying our best.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

You're welcome. I think all the mods do a good job. Not to pat myself on the back, but moreso to thank the other mods on the boards. I also think they do a great job.

I am pretty hands-off, unless it gets too insulting, etc. I typically look for spam and do general cleaning. I figure we are all big boys and girls, so I shouldn't have to delete/modify posts too much. So play nice and have fun.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread