E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > California traffic school and trail by mail.

09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i / 2005 C55

California traffic school and trail by mail.

Two quick questions:

I'm an Arizona resident who is in the process of moving to San Diego CA.

I just got a traffic ticket in California and fought it with "trial by mail." I lost. But they are giving me the option of traffic school.

1. The thing is, I've found some super cheap traffic schools online. I mean CHEAP! $12-$16 cheap. Are these legit? In AZ I'm used to paying $80-$120 for traffic school. at $12-$16 for traffic school, it seems like a no brainier.

2. When fighting a traffic ticket by mail in California, can the "referee" see your past charges and cases even if they are dropped? I ask because for once in my life I am legitimately not guilty. However this is my third traffic ticket in California in the last 2 years. I fought the others by mail and WON. If they can see that I had two charges that were dropped, perhaps now they figure they won't side with me a third time. ???

Of course the other option is that the state is so broke that they just want to keep my money, get me to go to school, hope I forget about it, and they think everyone wins (no record for me, $490 for them).
2004 SL600 - Sold
1999 540i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

in regards to question number 1 "are they legit?"

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Jim Gianatsis / QWK M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

The Judge on mailed-in Trial by Declerations in California does not look at your prior ticket record. Each case is judged on its own merits and the evidence you present.

If you take an online Traffic School, you pay the court the full price of the Ticket, and a Traffic School Registration fee. The Traffic School then charges its own separate fee.

Online schools are BEST. Based on much experience: Do not read any of the Lesson Sections, go straight to the Test at the end of each Section and take the Test. You can quickly back up to correct any errors you may have made in the Section Test. (it's all multiple choice questions and you can't move on to the next section until all the test answers are correct). Then move on to the next Test at the End of the next Section, and so on. This way you can complete an 8 hour online school in under 1 hour!!! There is no minimum time limit on completing the online schools.
Appreciate 0