E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > How do you handle RAW files?

12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
oh I've printed stuff pretty big, but I usually plan for that before I shoot. Like if I'm shooting some stuff I know is just going online I'll shoot on medium to keep file sizes down. Although I'm im shooting landscapes or anything I might blow up then I'll go to bigger files.
      12-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I don't know how you'd know.

Why not shoot as if everything were going to be printed at 50" or whatever your sensor might be able to manage? (My old G7 P&S was only good to around 20".)

Dave
      12-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
ryan970
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Tiag 328i,DGM F10 550

I just wash my hands after. LOL
      12-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I don't know how you'd know.

Why not shoot as if everything were going to be printed at 50" or whatever your sensor might be able to manage? (My old G7 P&S was only good to around 20".)

Dave
precisely the reason that shooting the smaller resolution versions of RAW never really made sense to me (unless i had only one card and needed to conserve memory space during a particular shoot and couldn't get another card(s)).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

So I shot some pictures in RAW and edited them in Lightroom 5 on a Retina Macbook Pro. Everything looked great on the screen when I finished editing and converted the pictures to JPEG. I saved those JPEGS onto a SDHC SanDisk memory card and sent them off to print at Calumet Photo, a photography store nearby. I made prints in both glossy and lustre 3"x5". I expected the print quality to be much better than what I received. Most of the pictures look terrible. I can see lines on the print. In all, what I see on my screen does not match the prints.

I am not sure if it is a problem on my end or theirs. Is it because my monitor is not calibrated to print from their printer? How do you guys make prints? Do you have your own printers or do you send them off to get printed. If you send them off to get printed, how do you achieve the best quality possible.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
It could be either you or Calumet. Post one here for us to see.

You still need to calibrate your Retina display. Make certain that the screen is at 100% when you process. My Lenova's screen drops brightness by around 20% when I unplug the machine. Make sure there's no power saving mode engaged or you'll wash out your print by processing too bright for a calibrated screen or printer.

Last edited by dcstep; 12-25-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I have separate folders for everything. Raw, Jpeg, Edited, Unedited. Then they are all sub categorized. I never have any issue finding what I want, when I want. I've seen too many people try to "keep it simple", but takes them forever to find what they want.

My biggest thing is getting rid of the not so well taken shots right off the bat, rather than review, then delete. Everything is backed up on my external, no cloud or anything. I've never had any issues with my external, but I have had computer problems where I had to wipe out the hard drive and restore to factory, so I did lose all the pictures I had on my desktop.
Same here. I have an event file, i.e. NYC Christmas. In that file are two folders, Raw and Processed. Only the raw files that get processed are kept in the Raw folder, but initially, all of them are imported into that file. I usually hang on to all of the raw files for a month or two in case my wife or someone we were with during that event remind me of an image that i may have missed. But after 2-3 months, i remove those pesky large unused raw files.