E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best jobs for college grads

03-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Best jobs for college grads

Just wondering what you guys think are the best jobs currently for business/finance college grads, that has best pay/future opportunities balance?

I graduated June '05, and worked at a money management firm for a few months, but decided to leave due to bad hours/relative low pay, and now I'm working for Wells Fargo. I'm trying to figure out my career path, and so far, what I'd really like to do is start my own business. But if not, just wanted to get your guys' opinions on what would be the most promising careers to build and support my future car collecting hobby
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Get an MBA, if you are looking at longterm goals. Sounds like such a degree would help especially if you want to start your own business eventually. Of course, an MBA isn't required if you know what you're doing.

Graduated in SD?
      03-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

yeah, ucsd with management science degree (same as business mgmt basically), and now getting my 7 and 66 licenses through wells fargo.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I see. A friend of mines got the same degree - she graduated from UCSD in '04. Haven't heard from her since after I turned her down on a date but I think she mentioned to me that she wanted to get into management. I'm not sure how much overlap, if any, management sci has to do with business but maybe MBA would be some help to you if you want to go into a business-heavy field.

I say start finding management jobs if you can. Maybe it'll take experience at first but you won't move quickly if you persist as a grunt.
      03-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

im majoring in Management right now as well. I heard the market for management is very thin right now. Anyone have any comment on this?? I might switch over to marketing if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I would suggest a master's, too. My sister is in a similar situation. She's working toward a 4 year degree in finance/business. But she's going on her junior year this fall and still has no clue what she wants to do. The education is fine, but you've got to have a passion for the work you do in order for a job to be worthwhile.

Like the old story goes, the money might be good, but if you don't like what you're doing and it becomes a physical and emotional pain, it isn't worth it.

I'd go along and suggest an mba with squawks because that will certainly give you the edge over the B.A. or B.S. finance grads.

But then again, it all depends on how much you like school, too. A Master's degree is quite a bit of work. But once you get there, it's a fine accomplishment.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

I got a degree in Finance back in '99. I interviewed at investment banking firms, brokerage firms, banks, etc. I ended up getting a job with the NASD. If you are getting the 7 and 66 you should know who the NASD is. We regulate the securities industry and up until recently owned and operated the Nasdaq stock market. I am an examiner in the Member Regulation section. We conduct examinations of brokerage firms and investigate complaints as well.

My point is that it isn't a bad idea to look into the compliance side of the industry. There is good money, and since you aren't on the sales side your compensation is stable. You can move up into management through compliance as well. Working for a regulator like the NASD or the SEC (or other regulators like FDIC, OCC, state regulatory agencies, etc.) gives you a perspective on the industry you can't get anywhere else. Working for a company/agency like that for a couple years can make you extremely valuable to companies subject to the regulation of those entities. A common career path for examiners with NASD was to work there a couple years then move over to the industry for double the salary.

I have been with NASD for almost 7 years now. I have been going to law school at night, and I graduate in May. I hope to stay with NASD and move over to the Enforcement side. If you really work hard, you can make a good living with them.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Tiffz MiniS
Artz Girl
Rep
Drives: 2007 Sapphire Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Just wondering what you guys think are the best jobs currently for business/finance college grads, that has best pay/future opportunities balance?

I graduated June '05, and worked at a money management firm for a few months, but decided to leave due to bad hours/relative low pay, and now I'm working for Wells Fargo. I'm trying to figure out my career path, and so far, what I'd really like to do is start my own business. But if not, just wanted to get your guys' opinions on what would be the most promising careers to build and support my future car collecting hobby
How did u like going to college for that?? Im going for Accounting and Business management...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
I got a degree in Finance back in '99. I interviewed at investment banking firms, brokerage firms, banks, etc. I ended up getting a job with the NASD. If you are getting the 7 and 66 you should know who the NASD is. We regulate the securities industry and up until recently owned and operated the Nasdaq stock market. I am an examiner in the Member Regulation section. We conduct examinations of brokerage firms and investigate complaints as well.

My point is that it isn't a bad idea to look into the compliance side of the industry. There is good money, and since you aren't on the sales side your compensation is stable. You can move up into management through compliance as well. Working for a regulator like the NASD or the SEC (or other regulators like FDIC, OCC, state regulatory agencies, etc.) gives you a perspective on the industry you can't get anywhere else. Working for a company/agency like that for a couple years can make you extremely valuable to companies subject to the regulation of those entities. A common career path for examiners with NASD was to work there a couple years then move over to the industry for double the salary.

I have been with NASD for almost 7 years now. I have been going to law school at night, and I graduate in May. I hope to stay with NASD and move over to the Enforcement side. If you really work hard, you can make a good living with them.

that's interesting, i've always just known that compliance is there, but never really actually given it any thought. that's for the input sdorn, i'll definitely do some research in that area.

tiff, i enjoyed the subject, finance/business/investments was something i've always wanted to go into. i started off actually doing the accounting program, which i surprisingly enjoyed and understood pretty well, but i transfered to ucsd and they didn't have an accounting program there, so i didnt' have a chance to continue in that area, though it's still something i'll consider in the future. i enjoyed business mgmt since it taught me real world number and theoretical applications used in business and economical settings. where are you going to school?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
parachute
parachute
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
in my opinion that market is so thin, specially cause EVERYONE I KNOW goes for it. It's like the easy way out from college, no hard math, no physics. And of course I would recommend a masters too, it is a must if you went for business/finance, since it will make you stand out at least a bit more from all those other who just did business.
I say go for medicine or engineering if you want the big bucks, there's nothing else out there

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
im majoring in Management right now as well. I heard the market for management is very thin right now. Anyone have any comment on this?? I might switch over to marketing if that's the case.
i think the market for all major is thin, thats just my guess though..i dont know much bout the global or domestic economy but from what i guess it is thin..my suggestion is take somethin u're really interested in, dont major in something where u think it'll earn u lots of money..i'm in marketing and i know its very competitive, anyways best of luck to u!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Personally, I think, good luck finding a job.

I wanted to major in Business/Finance something of that sort but my friend at UC Irvine told me, on the first few days of orientation when they separated people into groups based on majors, about 2/3 of the kids in the room were business / finance major.

I think it's just too competetive. Be a pharmacist, or a doctor, or a dentist. People always need those. You won't be broke.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #13
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
Personally, I think, good luck finding a job.

I wanted to major in Business/Finance something of that sort but my friend at UC Irvine told me, on the first few days of orientation when they separated people into groups based on majors, about 2/3 of the kids in the room were business / finance major.

I think it's just too competetive. Be a pharmacist, or a doctor, or a dentist. People always need those. You won't be broke.

i agree!!! i think nursing will be a good major too, my advisor told me that u.s actually is in dire need of nurses. i dont know why but ask ur academic advisors if u wanna confirm
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #14
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

YEAH ! ask your academic advisors. the top 5 jobs that will be needed by 2020 are nurses, pharmacists, truck drivers, and i dont remember the other 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

mcdonalds, maybe manage a starbucks or something

business is too easy, anyone can get a BS in that
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And Apollo Creed says, "be a thinker, not a stinker."
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

yeah, i definitely agree the market is too thin. grad school is a definite for me, but just using the time in between to figure out which direction i want to take. i figured i'll take 2-4 years after college to get some experience, and then apply and get my mba.

i do agree that almost everyone goes for management nowadays. at ucsd, next to engineering and bio, it's the next most common major i'd say. even though that's the case, that's still something i wanted to go for since i've almost planned my path towards the investments industry which is what i'm really interested in. but thinking back on school, i wonder how i would've done if i went for something else such as law or engineering. i've always been so focused on the finance track, that i never really thought about anything else.

what i do know is that i'm not someone who likes work strictly behind a desk and computer crunching away at numbers and equations. not saying those jobs aren't good, they definitely are, it's just not what i wanted. i wanted to pursue something more of a job where i could go out and meet people and talk to clients/coworkers, instead of sitting behind a desk all day long (e.g. financial advisor, sales, investment sales, etc).

i would've definitely loved to be a trader on one of the exchanges, but i'm definitely on the wrong side of the country for that job.

thanks for all the input so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
And Apollo Creed says, "be a thinker, not a stinker."
I know what you are, but what am I?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #19
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know what you are, but what am I?
Ha ha Sorry, enroutte. But for some reason that last post of yours reminded me of that part in Rocky I when Apollo Creed says:

"Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker."

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #20
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Dont go into business... work a job where you put in 12 months of work in 9, and then take three months off

You'll be much happier
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #21
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

Just about anyone can get a BA. I don't think it's a matter of how competetive the market is, it just depends on how you use your degree. I thikn the best way for you to build a career path is going to grad school
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #22
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just got a BA in Social Science/Political Science myself and planning to go to law school on Fall 2007. I am taking a year off and preparing myself for LSATs/applications and working for my family business.

It is true that BA/BS is not enough nowadays to get a good job.