E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best jobs for college grads

03-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #23
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Dont go into business... work a job where you put in 12 months of work in 9, and then take three months off

You'll be much happier
Work 9 months out of 12? That would be teaching, but then you mentioned making max money.

If you're going the business route, then I would go for the MBA. I know several people with MBA's. Here's the thing
1. Like law school degrees, not all MBA's are the same. The people I know with MBA's from Wharton and Stanford are making rather large bucks. The ones I know with MBA's from middle or lower tier schools are still making more than they would in their original field, but five figures. Your chance of getting into a top tier MBA school is enhanced with either business experience (how backward is that) or outstanding undergrad grades and board scores. Get in, and then you can accumulate valuable business experience during the summer internships, which double as super-long interviews.

2. Med school is not the way to get megabucks (or as one dilbert said on his post "making bank"), but you will have job security, six figures and geographic mobility if you're in primary care. Of course most people graduate with five figure debt, too. You would need to do all the premed prerequisites, which would be a hassle if you didn't do much science in undergrad. If you don't want to be a doctor really badly, don't even think about it, cuz you'll quit. You have to value the profession at least as much as the money. Still, because medicine is such a pain in the ass nowadays (thank you, lawyers and insurance companies) more bright minds are going elsewhere, making the pool a less competitive than it has been for at least thirty years.

3. Nursing school - advanced nursing degrees put you in competitive position. Yes, there's a need, but the hours are bad, and an undergraduate degree in business doesn't help much.
4. Pharmacy school - the trend is to hire PharmD's.
5. Engineering - pretty competitive. Make it and you get 5 figures and still have to worry about your job.

6. Law school - see business school. Not that hard to become a lawyer, but hard to become a top lawyer. I have heard that the law field is super crowded, which is one reason why partners can be really demanding of their associates (indentured servants) who are no longer guaranteed partnership. The hours suck, but at least they're billable.

Last edited by e90rocks; 03-07-2006 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #24
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks

5. Engineering - pretty competitive. Make it and you get 5 figures and still have to worry about your job.
not always true. im sure engineers make more than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Starting engineers do not make 6 figures - they start off with 5 figures and it takes a *while* for them to reach 6 figures unless they are truly exceptional. Trust me on this.

Most of e90rocks' words are true. It's also funny that people mention medicine as the right path to make money - that's actually wrong. Business, if done right, is the only way to go if you really want to hit the skies. Most people don't even know that the average dentist's salary is HIGHER than that of the average physician. Then again, who ever said money is all there is to attain absolute happiness?
      03-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #26
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
Average starting salaries (2004 spring):
Electrical Engineering $50,761 (up 0.4%)
Mechanical $49,056 (up 0.8%)
Civil $41,785 (up 1.7%)
Chemical $50,038 (down 0.3%)
Computer $52,573 (down 0.2%)
http://www.jobweb.com/SalaryInfo/salsur04.htm

I didn't see nuclear or aeronautical on this list, I assume that would be higher...but not everyone's a rocket scientist.
Senior project engineers may break into 6 figures, but that's after quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan

what i do know is that i'm not someone who likes work strictly behind a desk and computer crunching away at numbers and equations. not saying those jobs aren't good, they definitely are, it's just not what i wanted. i wanted to pursue something more of a job where i could go out and meet people and talk to clients/coworkers, instead of sitting behind a desk all day long (e.g. financial advisor, sales, investment sales, etc).

First quarter of college I was in the engineering major. Then I realized I dont wanna spend 8+ hours everyday in a room inventing stuff. So I decided that business is best for me because every since I was a little kid, I've always the concept of running a business for profit. I think the only reason why I went into engineering in the first place was because my parents brainwashed me. Almost all asian parents want their kid to be either an engineer, doctor, or pharmicist. Yeah sure you could go in that but that will make THEM happy, not you!!

And I know tons of engineers who lost their jobs and are now selling cars for a living. I can also name a bunch that are switching to other industries. One thing I realized is that you can never get rich by working for someone else.

To each his/her own...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte

Dont take this too seriously, but I was wondering if you know any facts?? Basically there will always be exceptions to every rule.Being a doctor, engineer, or pharmacist dont necessary mean you make a lot of money. Engineers make about $45,000 nowadays. You know how long it takes to become a doctor??? By the time you graduate you will owe money up the ying yang. Then again, not all business graduates will make a lot of money. There will always be competition in every field. You just gotta be strong and competitive. Survival of the fittests...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #29
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
If you don't want to be a doctor really badly, don't even think about it, cuz you'll quit. You have to value the profession at least as much as the money.

Yes...this is completely true. It is not the way to get rich quick. Many years of premed, med, internship, residency....you will go crazy if all you care about is $$$$$$$. Sure..in the end, you make good money relative to other jobs....but you have invested +10 years of training based on where you are now, school debt, medical legal constraints in the work environment, and you need to continue expanding your medical education because medicine is always changing. To some of us....because we enjoy the work, its definitely worth it. To those that money is the only driving force...well, they go into other industries. Good luck.