E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > REVIEW: DTEC v10 125W H8 Angel Eye Bulbs w/ DTEC v9.5 as Fogs

12-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

REVIEW: DTEC v10 125W H8 Angel Eye Bulbs w/ DTEC v9.5 as Fogs

NOTE: A VERY IMAGE HEAVY THREAD
NOTE: In all images, projectors (xenon) are turned off, so what you see is a result of just LEDs

Background
Previously I had reviewed the DTEC V9.5 H8 LED Angel Eye Bulbs, and at that time I would seek for other LED bulbs to review. However, I was more than happy with the quality of the product and the output of the DTEC v9.5 LED bulbs. When I heard that DTEC released a new pair that was even brighter with approximately 4 more LEDs per bulb, I knew I had to get my hands on these.

Involved in Application Process
- BMW E90 LCI
- DTEC V10 125W H8 Angel Eye Bulbs - Seller E92-Lighting

Buying Experience
Similar to my past experience with E92-Lightning, it was positive with not a single problem. Shipping was quick, as shortly after I placed my order it I had received tracking information. Main reason why I wanted to give it another go with these newer LED bulbs is because I wanted to see for myself could it really get brighter, as I know there is a limit due to the design of the housing for the halos.

Seller:
E92-Lighting

Shipping Time:
5 Days (to Canada)

Replacing:
DTEC v9.5 Angel Eyes

Contents & First Impressions
* 2x DTEC v10 H8 LED Bulbs
* 2x 1 Piece Angel Eye Module/Drive
* Packaging Material - Bubble Wrap & Box
* Instruction slip
(all similar to the DTEC v9.5)

First impressions of the build quality is amazing, like previously the LED bulbs are very well built, the wires coming out from the LED bulbs are well insulated, I was impressed to see the massive array of LEDs, an extra 4 more LEDs, that I’m taking is going to be an extra 1/2 the output from the previous DTEC v9.5 which were plenty bright already. Wiring of the LED drive modules are fairly thick, the LED drive/module has quite a bit of heft to it. The CREE SMDs are pretty much packed on this bulb, from top to bottom of the piece protruding form the heat sink is covered in an array of CREE SMDs. Overall the packaging is great, more than enough to keep the bulbs secure during shipping and the overall built quality is again impressive, I cannot fault it from a visual inspection, and tugging on a few components.

Below are a few shots of the unboxing and inspection process of the contents.

Install & Review
Installation of these bulbs were no different than they were for the DTEC v9.5, fairly easy to install. If you are coming from halogen H8 bulbs, there is a tab to push back to release a set of wires that can now easily be maneuvered around, and can be placed out of the way giving you much more room. Little effort is required when installing these bulbs, I installed both sides in under 10 minutes.

Note/Easy way to install:
  • When you are installing the bulbs I found it easiest to start with the LED driver/modules first.
  • Connect the driver module to the H8 connector, then shove the LED driver/module down deep in the housing away from heat sources.
  • Next connect the LED bulb to the driver module and install the bulb.
(this way makes it less intrusive dealing with the large LED driver/module, this way it is out of the way, giving you more room to work with when placing in the LED bulb)

All in all, these are miles away from the H8 halogen bulbs in terms of brightness, they are even a decent bit brighter than the DTEC v9.5 which I was surprised, as I know theres a limit due to the design of the housing.

I am by far impressed with output of these bulbs, they are fairly bright, noticeable in the daytime and very beautiful at night. I take pleasure in unlocking my vehicle from a distance to see the halo’s illuminate fairly bright illuminating the ground in front of the vehicle. These bulbs definitely give the vehicle presence throughout the day and especially at night.

Since previously I had the DTEC v9.5, I needed to do something with them and didn’t feel putting them up in a box was adequate, so instead i placed them into my foglight housing and I must say, WOW! Much brighter than stock H8 bulbs by a good bit, and the colour match with the DTEC v10 in the halos is perfect. Overall, gone is the different colour of bulbs on the front of the vehicle, everything matches and looks OEM.

Well into the evening when the sun sets, I’m just running the fogs and the halo’s and they illuminate fairly well. With the just the fogs and halo’s on, I’ve passed by many law enforcement officers at night, and in Canada they’re fairly picky at times in terms of vehicle lighting, I’ve not had an issue, no frowns. Though running this way gets loads of attention just the way the vehicle looks with halo’s and fogs super bright white all evenly matched in terms of colour is stunning. Especially on overcast days, running the fog’s and halo’s give great presence to the vehicle.

I couldn’t be happier with the lighting set up I have now, for me personally it feels complete, as I couldn’t ask for more.

Below are a few images of the bulbs installed, some comparisons with the DTEC v9.5 in halo’s and some comparison with H8 halogen fogs and DTEC 9.5 fogs.
Comparison Between DTEC v9.5 on the left (passenger side US) and DTEC v10 on the right (driver side US)

Comparison between DTEC v9.5 as fogs on the left, and H8 Halogen as fogs on the right

Both Sides Completely Installed (DTEC v9.5 as fogs, DTEC v10 as halo's)(top image xenon on)

Close up of housing

Day time shots

Night time shots

Extra shots showing the combination

Composition Images

DTEC V9.5 Left & DTEC V10 Right

Everything Else

Time to Wrap Up
Pros
  • From my past experience with the DTEC v9.5 I can vouch the quality is superb, you have that peace of mind that they will last.
  • These LED bulbs are very well built, components of put together with no play, fairly thick gauge wiring, weather sealed connectors and driver module.
  • Colour temperature is a perfect match especially if you have any previous DTEC bulbs and would like to use them in your foglight housings or just prefer to match OEM LED lighting already present on the vehicle. ~5000K-5500K
  • Very bright output, I couldn’t imagine putting these in the foglight housing, the DTEC v9.5 are already very bright in there, much more than the halogen H8’s.
  • Great packaging for shipping, with the bubble wrap all around the box and the foam interior of the box, those bulbs were going no where during shipping.
  • Speaking of shipping, very quick shipping, really good customer service from Derrick at E92-Lighting. (any questions I had as being a customer of the DTEC v9.5s were answered promptly with great detail, and any questions in regards to the purchase of the DTEC v10s were again answered with great detail) —I feel comfortable buying from a seller that knows they’re product very well.

Cons
  • I cannot really think of any, previously colour temperature was a con for me as it doesn’t match my 6000K D1S xenons in the projectors, but they match all the OEM lighting on the vehicle (i.e. LEDs in the door handle and license plate LEDs) — with them matching the OEM lighting I much prefer it, because when you unlock the vehicle the projectors are not on but the halos, door handle LEDs and license plate LEDs are illuminated, and it gives a real nice OEM look to the vehicle.

These bulbs do cost a decent bit, though if you want quality I feel one must pay for quality. The quality of these bulbs are far superior to anything you can purchase on eBay, even bulbs I’ve tested out at costs around $120 on eBay are still no match to the DTEC’s. Ones from eBay at that price range have a decent array of LEDs however, require a fan to keep cool, they’re LED driver/modules are ones from the cheap 20w’s, they’re cable gauge is thin and absent/poor weather sealing. With the design of the DTEC’s, they stay cool without the need of a fan, they keep they’re full brightness when xenon’s are on and the vehicle is unlocked, you get the OEM fade out look, everything is properly weather sealed and the gauge of wiring is thick.

Finalize:
I am very impressed overall, I want to share my experience to the users on E90POST, as I feel that I’ve got a setup I’m more than content with, that I no longer seek for any thing to replace my fog’s or halos as I still cannot believe how bright my fogs and halo’s are, and how well they look when illuminated together.
The setup with these as halo’s and DTEC v9.5 as fogs really turn heads during the day, I get a lot of lookers from people driving by to pedestrians on the side, usually this vehicle somewhat blends in as there are many stock E90’s on the roads, especially here in Kitchener, Ontario.

Video Preview

This review is based on my own personal opinion, of how I felt these bulbs performed in comparison to previous iterations and the competition.

I hope this to be somewhat helpful to those out there shopping for a new pair of LED bulbs.

Weather in Canada right now isn’t the best, so I’m waiting for some better day’s to get some more images especially with the vehicle looking a little less dirty.

I’ll try to get a video done of a drive by to give you an idea during dusk and at night how they look like to someone else as your driving by.

Thank you for reading!

Note: Photo's Taken with an iPhone 6 Plus

BMW E90 LCI

Last edited by xijonix; 12-14-2014 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: one image has xenon projector on
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Awesome review bud!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

anyone know how these compare with lux v5s? these are a bit more expensive, but i like the fact that they don't flicker when locking the car like the lux does.

i was also not a fan of the color adjustable feature of luxs with blue LEDs, seemed tacky to me. but how do these dtecs stack up in terms of color temp? do they match the xenons well and look OEM?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
xijonix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Awesome review bud!!
Thanks a lot! Hope to have been somewhat helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post
anyone know how these compare with lux v5s? these are a bit more expensive, but i like the fact that they don't flicker when locking the car like the lux does.

i was also not a fan of the color adjustable feature of luxs with blue LEDs, seemed tacky to me. but how do these dtecs stack up in terms of color temp? do they match the xenons well and look OEM?
I have a 6000K xenon setup right now so they don't match my xenons, but they do perfectly match the OEM vehicle LED lighting, so thats the lighting under the door handles and the license plate LED lights. I'm pretty sure they will be a close match to the stock D1S xenon bulbs. They're more of a pure white. Wish I could be more helpful.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
xijonix
Private
Rep

Video Preview

Video Preview

Hey guys, just uploaded a quick video of a quick walk around showing the output of the setup.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

thanks for the amazing review and superb job on the youtube video, we will go ahead and embed onto our website if you dont mind
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
xijonix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
thanks for the amazing review and superb job on the youtube video, we will go ahead and embed onto our website if you dont mind
Thank you! Of course go ahead

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

these look great and nice idea reusing the old ones as fogs.
      12-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

Nice look. Only reason I wouldnt consider them is b/c they wouldnt match my oem low-beams.
They look awesome on your car with the AEs tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
indy101
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Thanks for the great review! Couple questions: (2011 335i sedan w/ xenon)

- these bulbs replace both low beam and high beam use right? One bulb just lights up both rings?

- would stock fog lights look bad with these?

- my final decision is between these and Lux v4 (I kinda like the blue tint) Any advice?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy101 View Post
- these bulbs replace both low beam and high beam use right? One bulb just lights up both rings?
I can't answer the other two questions as they're specific to these products and I don't own them (yet), but yes, you only need 1 bulb to light up both rings per headlight. Unless I'm wrong, all AE replacement bulbs are sold as a pair so you only need 2 bulbs for 4 rings.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
I can't answer the other two questions as they're specific to these products and I don't own them (yet), but yes, you only need 1 bulb to light up both rings per headlight. Unless I'm wrong, all AE replacement bulbs are sold as a pair so you only need 2 bulbs for 4 rings.
Youre right but the high beam and low beam are from the xenons for the projectors on the far right and left. The 4 rings are powered by E92(or Others) LED angel eye solution kits. 2 rings 1 bulb. So 4 rings 2 bulbs. E92 will take good care of you. I've been with him since the v7s and still have them. I think theyll be moved to my fogs since well I now know you can Lol. Onward to OSS!

Last edited by Nushibo; 01-22-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Great review, thanks for taking the time out to make it!