E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Extremely Depressed After Talking To Divorce Lawyer. Need Advice

10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #485
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

With the forever girlfriend, to protect yourself, don't ever commingle monies (bank accounts, etc.) and make sure even if she lives with you a lot she keeps her own place).

Basically protect yourself and assets against any common law marriage bullshit as well.

But yeah, good strategy.

When I was young I swore I'd never get married.
Then I got married.
Now, I'm getting divorced and you know what, I was right when I was young.
But my 2 mini-me's totally kick ass though.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #486
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sung View Post
OMG her new boyfriend is enjoying your $$$, wtf man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
Yup, it is sad but there is nothing I can do about it
I heard he bought a Lambo.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #487
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
With the forever girlfriend, to protect yourself, don't ever commingle monies (bank accounts, etc.) and make sure even if she lives with you a lot she keeps her own place).

Basically protect yourself and assets against any common law marriage bullshit as well.

But yeah, good strategy.

Then I got married.
Now, I'm getting divorced and you know what, I was right when I was young.

I thought I wanted to get married to my current, but even just a regular relationship carries enough weight to make that thought go right out the window. Hell, I am almost to a point where I want to leave her in MI. If she moves down here, I am the sole provider for everything..., I don't need to hear BS after a day of sitting at work drawing works of art.

I wouldn't mind having a little Billup running around, but I figured I would just use a hooker as an involuntary surrogate or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #488
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
For those of you whom are married / divorced, did problems not arise until after marriage mostly? Did you have problems prior? Was it mostly communication on opposing views for certain things?

My current SO's mother has been married and divorced twice, her family dynamics are complete opposite of my family (parents have been together for 40 some years, no arguments in the house, respectful to each other). Has anyone experienced something similar with their SO?
It has been said that the argument you had the week before your wedding is the same argument that will cause your divorce (or at least the same argument you will be having during your divorce).

I am married, and my relationship is much like that of your parents (and my parents for that matter), and that is how its always been. Her family is like your SO's (even a bit more Jerry Springerish) which concerned me.

Sort out your communication style early. A couple of my rules were/are if there is a problem get it out, don't let it build up. Another rule (which was more important when we were younger) no discussing things/issues with alcohol involved, even one glass of wine. Talk about it tomorrow.

Some people need chaos in their lives (they call it excitement), date those people, bang those people, do not get involved in long term relationships with those people. They will cheat on you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #489
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
It has been said that the argument you had the week before your wedding is the same argument that will cause your divorce (or at least the same argument you will be having during your divorce).

I am married, and my relationship is much like that of your parents (and my parents for that matter), and that is how its always been. Her family is like your SO's (even a bit more Jerry Springerish) which concerned me.

Sort out your communication style early. A couple of my rules were/are if there is a problem get it out, don't let it build up. Another rule (which was more important when we were younger) no discussing things/issues with alcohol involved, even one glass of wine. Talk about it tomorrow.

Some people need chaos in their lives (they call it excitement), date those people, bang those people, do not get involved in long term relationships with those people. They will cheat on you.
WOW! What you wrote and a lot of comments here are exactly what i've been thinking since my teen years. I just never had someone or a place to discuss it. I felt i was alone and my thoughts were crazy.

Now i see that there are so many people out there with the same thoughts as mine.
      10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #490
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

But yeah, good strategy.

Then I got married.
Now, I'm getting divorced
and you know what, I was right when I was young.

This is exactly what i'm afraid of.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #491
ddk632
United_States
Rep

That fear is not at all invalid.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #492
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post

We have been battling a communication issue for 3 years. Now even more so, as I reside in NC and I left her in MI. We are both hard headed people, and when it comes to discussing things, the conversation will start normal, then she will get "bitchy" with me, so then I turn into a real dick.

I've never been confrontational, our household was always peaceful, hers was always hectic. I hear the term "I'm afraid she will end up like her mother", and it makes me think.

I just don't feel marriage is really worth it, in the end. I don't see the benefits or what its supposed to really change.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #493
Aggression
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12' CTS Coupe

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #494
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
For those of you whom are married / divorced, did problems not arise until after marriage mostly? Did you have problems prior? Was it mostly communication on opposing views for certain things?

My current SO's mother has been married and divorced twice, her family dynamics are complete opposite of my family (parents have been together for 40 some years, no arguments in the house, respectful to each other). Has anyone experienced something similar with their SO?
My girl's dad is kind of like me in the sense that he doesn't talk much, doesn't get too worked up over anything, etc., so we are usually fine. Her mom is batshit crazy sometimes though. Constantly texts her while we're out or at home, I mean like every few minutes. If my girl doesn't text her back in about 5 minutes, she's calling and I can hear her saying, "Why didn't you text me back?" She has to strategically text her mom beforehand for things and tell her "DON'T CALL ME AND I'M NOT ANSWERING TEXTS UNTIL LATER" so when we are "busy" we're not getting interrupted (or out to eat, at the movies, whatever).

Since she lives a lot closer to us (for example, my parents are over 8 hours away by car, she's only about 2.5), she is always wanting to come over and spend a few days, but it's mostly to see our dogs. Annoys the shit out of me. I have stuff I want to do when I'm not working too, and feeding her mom and dealing with our dogs and how she messes with them are not those things. She's also got some medical concerns so being around large dogs that may knock her down is something that really puts me on edge when she visits. A lot of it bugs the hell out of me, and she knows it, but we don't argue over it. It's something we can't change (her mom's personality).

I can certainly understand the fear of marriage. That's why we have lived together for almost two years before getting married. Dating is one thing, and you can learn a lot, but I don't think you ever truly get to know someone until you live with them for a while. You learn their habits, bad or good, and how you can deal with them TOGETHER. I disagree with the conventional thought of not living together until you're married. That (among other reasons) is why there are so many divorces today, because people still think they should follow some traditional bullshit. In today's society, that crap doesn't work.
      10-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #495
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Lots of divorces either way, I don't think living together beforehand or not is any indicator. Something just changes inside the woman's head once they get married.

My question is, if you're living together, why bother getting married? What is the benefit?

For a man, there are only risks. There is no benefit to a man from being married vs. just having a long term relationship. Absolutely none. The woman, however, stands to now gain financially in terms of assets and income (alimony) if things don't work out.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #496
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Lots of divorces either way, I don't think living together beforehand or not is any indicator. Something just changes inside the woman's head once they get married.

My question is, if you're living together, why bother getting married? What is the benefit?

For a man, there are only risks. There is no benefit to a man from being married vs. just having a long term relationship. Absolutely none. The woman, however, stands to now gain financially in terms of assets and income (alimony) if things don't work out.

This is exactly how I see it. We are deciding if we will be able to handle things in the proper manner once she does move out here, because the closest place she can run will be 12 hours away...,

She will more than likely get a nice ring worth a good chunk of change, and then the satisfaction of knowing if she wants out, she will be well taken care of, while I get the thick end of my own shaft. What does a man truly get out of marriage? Those who are married..., what has been a benefit to YOU?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #497
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Prenup and you're good.

But women who are out to get you financially won't marry you with a prenup. So use that as your deciding factor if you want to.

I'm not arguing that there is any benefit. Everything you do in life comes with risks. You can either make an educated decision, or fall on your face by not learning and doing things the right way (i.e. research).

I'm not worried, because I know what I am walking in to so far. I can also read people very well, I've had quite a few years of experience with it. I'm also not an 18 year old idiot who says "oh I am so in love."

My fiancee makes more money than I do. So there's that, too.

EDIT: I think I saw somewhere, may have been in this thread, the rate of divorce is much higher for young people who get married, as opposed to first time marriages for more mature couples (around 30 years old). I could be wrong. I don't have the time to look it up now. That's why I made the "18 year old idiot" comment.

Last edited by Templar; 10-25-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #498
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Prenups can and do get thrown out on a regular basis. So it can help but certainly isn't the "get out of jail free" card that it's purported to be.

A prenup also can become a source of contention. It will come up in every fight. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not saying don't do it.

In fact, since I am getting divorced, any comment I make regarding marriage will rightfully have the taint of bitterness attached to it.

So I've kept quiet. But in my head I know what I am willing and not willing to accept at this point.

I also know that no one could have talked me out of it, either.

Note, i wasn't saying that the risk is that of marrying a good digger. Just that, after years of a lifestyle, possibly staying at home after first kid is born, and then things falling apart, coupled with a system biased against men that makes it easy for women to collect substantial money after a divorce, in some cases for life... Well, even the kindest sweetheart will have a hard time turning this down.

Truth be told, there's a saying that you don't know a woman till you get married. I think the true reality is that, you don't know her until you get divorced.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #499
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Prenups can and do get thrown out on a regular basis. So it can help but certainly isn't the "get out of jail free" card that it's purported to be.

A prenup also can become a source of contention. It will come up in every fight. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not saying don't do it.

In fact, since I am getting divorced, any comment I make regarding marriage will rightfully have the taint of bitterness attached to it.

So I've kept quiet. But in my head I know what I am willing and not willing to accept at this point.

I also know that no one could have talked me out of it, either.

Note, i wasn't saying that the risk is that of marrying a good digger. Just that, after years of a lifestyle, possibly staying at home after first kid is born, and then things falling apart, coupled with a system biased against men that makes it easy for women to collect substantial money after a divorce, in some cases for life... Well, even the kindest sweetheart will have a hard time turning this down.

Truth be told, there's a saying that you don't know a woman till you get married. I think the true reality is that, you don't know her until you get divorced.
My whole thing with a prenup is that (in a womans mind), that would be my way of saying there is no trust, and surely many women wouldn't be too excited to hear that word. Maybe because they feel their entitlement should something go wrong, is now revoked?

If there is a matter of conflicting opinions on how certain things should be handled early, should it not be expected to happen in the imminent future?

I feel it would be much easier to have life issues, and separate with no legally binding contract, but in turn, makes me selfish for not wanting commitment. One thing I will never do, is be a divorcee, which may be a leading reason I don't want to marry at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #500
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I could just be jaded because I feel like I've found the perfect person for me. All the little things about me that people have said they hated, she loves. I never really believed the whole "soul mate/one person for everyone" thing, but she's been able to put up with me so far, and I haven't changed my lifestyle that much at all (except dating other women ).
      10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #501
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
I thouth about the same. Is there any voluteer? I am offering 50K...
where are the pics ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #502
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Quote:

You are very right my friend. I am the poor OP and couldn't agree with you any more.

I lived with my X almost 2.5 years. It was all good. After we got married the first 2.5 years were perfect too, until my daughter was born. It turn our life upside down. Kids are the main reason why many marriages fall a part mostly because the additional work and financial burden that comes with the kids.

You are also right with your comment about risks and benefits for man and woman. Unfortunately woman are the ones who would push for marriage most of the time because they want security. 50 year old successful can easily find 35-40 good looking woman. But there is almost no way for 50 year old woman to do so. The best man most of 50 year old woman can find is 50+ year old man. But best of 50+ man already with younger woman, so most 50+ woman are stuck with not so good man. That's why woman push for marriage. Also financial gain is another major factor since most woman can not make as much as man.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #503
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
You are very right my friend. I am the poor OP and couldn't agree with you any more.

I lived with my X almost 2.5 years. It was all good. After we got married the first 2.5 years were perfect too, until my daughter was born. It turn our life upside down. Kids are the main reason why many marriages fall a part mostly because the additional work and financial burden that comes with the kids.

You are also right with your comment about risks and benefits for man and woman. Unfortunately woman are the ones who would push for marriage most of the time because they want security. 50 year old successful can easily find 35-40 good looking woman. But there is almost no way for 50 year old woman to do so. The best man most of 50 year old woman can find is 50+ year old man. But best of 50+ man already with younger woman, so most 50+ woman are stuck with not so good man. That's why woman push for marriage. Also financial gain is another major factor since most woman can not make as much as man.
I read your original post, and I am very sorry for your misfortune. I really don't know what I would do in your position, and things like this, are reasons I stray from this type of commitment. I do not want to become vulnerable to the fact that I could lose my ass, because I thought I could trust another.

I wish you the best of luck with everything in your future!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #504
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
This is exactly how I see it. We are deciding if we will be able to handle things in the proper manner once she does move out here, because the closest place she can run will be 12 hours away...,

She will more than likely get a nice ring worth a good chunk of change, and then the satisfaction of knowing if she wants out, she will be well taken care of, while I get the thick end of my own shaft. What does a man truly get out of marriage? Those who are married..., what has been a benefit to YOU?
What do I get out of marriage?
Trust, for one. Its a covenant with each other. Not saying cheating doesn't happen, clearly it does, but I trust her fully, and not just in the area of fidelity. I trust that if I get sick, she's not going to just pack up and leave - there is a deep committment in marriage, but it has to be shared by both sides. And it doesn't sound like you share that, but honestly, its probably because you're with the wrong woman (I'm being blunt).

Mutual respect and support is another - when you're just long term relationship, that's all it is. The woman's side of it is that you want an easy out should you find something better (which frankly I agree that this is unfair to ask of a woman), and from a guy's point of view, you are trying to protect yourself against a system biased against you should you divorce for no fault of your own (however, if you cheat, I think you deserve to make those payments, if she cheats, I think she should get nothing, it should be simplified). But in marriage, you're tied to each other, you have a mutual respect for each other and want the other to succeed (and in doing so, certainly you are reaping benefits too), and you are united in a common goal because you share enough similarities on the important issues that you work together.

I don't know really how better to describe it, there's a lot more, sure, but its hard to put into words. But I certainly am happy I'm married. So don't write it off just yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #505
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
What do I get out of marriage?
Trust, for one. Its a covenant with each other. Not saying cheating doesn't happen, clearly it does, but I trust her fully, and not just in the area of fidelity. I trust that if I get sick, she's not going to just pack up and leave - there is a deep committment in marriage, but it has to be shared by both sides. And it doesn't sound like you share that, but honestly, its probably because you're with the wrong woman (I'm being blunt).

Mutual respect and support is another - when you're just long term relationship, that's all it is. The woman's side of it is that you want an easy out should you find something better (which frankly I agree that this is unfair to ask of a woman), and from a guy's point of view, you are trying to protect yourself against a system biased against you should you divorce for no fault of your own (however, if you cheat, I think you deserve to make those payments, if she cheats, I think she should get nothing, it should be simplified). But in marriage, you're tied to each other, you have a mutual respect for each other and want the other to succeed (and in doing so, certainly you are reaping benefits too), and you are united in a common goal because you share enough similarities on the important issues that you work together.

I don't know really how better to describe it, there's a lot more, sure, but its hard to put into words. But I certainly am happy I'm married. So don't write it off just yet.
This is some good input, and I value your statement. Being blunt, is also being honest. I still question if she is the right woman. I do have the satisfaction of knowing that neither of us would ever stay from one another, and she is a great person with a huge heart, she just tends to be a real bitch at times. I know she wants to get married some day, however, that road still has a lot of miles to be traveled.

How well do you both handle opposing opinions on certain matters? Raising children (if you have any), financials, etc?

Our conflicting ideologies tend to cause heated conversations that I feel should easily be handled with a few comments and let be done, but end up turning into 2 hours of nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #506
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Quote:
I read your original post, and I am very sorry for your misfortune. I really don't know what I would do in your position, and things like this, are reasons I stray from this type of commitment. I do not want to become vulnerable to the fact that I could lose my ass, because I thought I could trust another.

I wish you the best of luck with everything in your future!
Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0