E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Say hello to my light little friend

05-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeSoete View Post
Just so you guys know, the Speedster *is* my bro's daily driver: 200 km/day (~124 miles/day), with the Bose Quiet Comfort headset .

Guillaume
That's awesome! Seriously, I have to drive the car up to Watkins Glen in June (hee hee) and am planning to wear earplugs so I won't be completely wiped out by the time I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Congrats...fun car to drive on the weekends! It handles better than any car I've driven in, and it's very LOUD!!! My bro's got one with an intake and Nitrous..little TQ, but it's very light and very FAST; here are a couple pics of his car...
Nice, my interior is red too, though you can't see it in the pics. By way, although the car has much less torque than the bmw and has to be wound up to really get some pull, I think people underestimate how light the car really is when thinking about acceleration. In other words, I was dead even with a brand new G35x yesterday off the line to about 40 or 50 mph. I shifted at about 5k in first because the car isn't broken in yet (plus, I'm not a street racer), but that wasn't even anywhere near the car's powerband, when the second cam opens up at 6.5k and the car takes off up to 8.5k (a brief overrev in low gears is allowed beyond the 8k redline). Once I get past 1k miles (I'm at about 125 right now after the weekend) and have my first service, I will be able to unwind that engine the right way. Interestingly, the car feels like it's near redline (in terms of noise and vibration) at 4k, so I can't imagine what it will sound and feel like at 8.5k.

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #24
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Very nice choice...I love the Elise, phenomenal car. The only thing I would change is I'd rather see them come with the Honda F20C from the S2000 rather than the Celica engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

This was my other choice vs. the 335i coupe. Still envious. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats. Awesome car! I've been on elise talk since like 05 haha. I plan on getting one in the future and have been reading up on them ever since. Despite all the small problems and quirks their are to the car, it is a track monster
      05-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Very nice choice...I love the Elise, phenomenal car. The only thing I would change is I'd rather see them come with the Honda F20C from the S2000 rather than the Celica engine.
I would probably rather swap it with a k20 then a f20
      05-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #28
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

I've seen a few of those little things running around. They are headturners for sure. If you don't see 'em, you'll sure hear it. That things is sweet. Sweet ASS sweet.....
      05-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Thats a sweet little car man my nighbor had one pretty sick
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #30
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Very cool!
      05-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #31
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellnyc View Post
That's awesome! Seriously, I have to drive the car up to Watkins Glen in June (hee hee) and am planning to wear earplugs so I won't be completely wiped out by the time I get there.

Nice, my interior is red too, though you can't see it in the pics. By way, although the car has much less torque than the bmw and has to be wound up to really get some pull, I think people underestimate how light the car really is when thinking about acceleration. In other words, I was dead even with a brand new G35x yesterday off the line to about 40 or 50 mph. I shifted at about 5k in first because the car isn't broken in yet (plus, I'm not a street racer), but that wasn't even anywhere near the car's powerband, when the second cam opens up at 6.5k and the car takes off up to 8.5k (a brief overrev in low gears is allowed beyond the 8k redline). Once I get past 1k miles (I'm at about 125 right now after the weekend) and have my first service, I will be able to unwind that engine the right way. Interestingly, the car feels like it's near redline (in terms of noise and vibration) at 4k, so I can't imagine what it will sound and feel like at 8.5k.
Well, my bro and I raced from a stop light 1 brief time...this was after he had the air intake installed but before his nitrous setup. He got a quick jump on me (in my PROcede 335i Coupe) mainly because I forgot to turn on DTC and got some wheel/tire spin, but I quickly caught up and past him very quickly by ~50mph...my 380BHP and 445+ lb.-ft. TQ was too much for him. However, now with his NO2 bottle setup, I'm fairly certain he'd beat me with his 1,900lb. Elise. It's a great, fun exotic car...enjoy and don't forget to yell "V-Tech" after that 6.5k rpm mark when the 2nd cam opens up!!!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #32
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
I've seen a few of those little things running around. They are headturners for sure. If you don't see 'em, you'll sure hear it. That things is sweet. Sweet ASS sweet.....
i didnt like it, theres a darker blue one around here that drives like a madman, wasnt ricey really; sounding but it was not deep at all
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #33
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

those cars kick ass!

sort of makes me wish I was shorter and lighter so I could fit in one better, I didn't have the best time on my test drive........
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Thanks, the car is definitely quirky and not for everyone. Yesterday while driving around, both climate control knobs fell off and slid under the (non-adjustable) passenger seat. I got them out today by doing a panic stop on the way to work. Haha.

Today is the first time (since I picked it up in the rain, which doesn't count) I've driven the car without a passenger, and wow, what a difference. My wife only weights about 115 pounds, but without her I could feel a noticeable difference in acceleration. I supose one should notice a 6% weight reduction...

I agree with you about the S2000 engine, that would have been nice. The Toyota engine is anything but smooth, it's really peaky and unrefined. But I will say that is definitely part of its charm. Throttle blips are much quicker in this car than anything I've ever driven, in other words, it feels like there's little inertia in the flywheel. During leisurely upshifts, I find that I have to blip again to get the revs back up, since they immediately drop when I depress the clutch. I took a long sweeper today that I like taking fast in the 335i because I can get the tail to step out a tiny bit. On that slightly bumpy corner in the Elise today without braking it felt totally different, flat and buttoned down where the 335i's suspension undulates a bit. I cannot wait to put this car on the skidpad and track next month and learn what its actual limits are.

One thing I really hate about the car is that people tailgate it, either to challenge or to get a closer look. Some adults look, others don't. But children everywhere go ga ga over it. I drove by 3 busloads of little kids and they were all waving and cheering out the windows. It was pretty cute, and made me remember doing the same thing once when I saw a brand new Ferrari 308 at a stop light on the way to school...

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #35
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
i didnt like it, theres a darker blue one around here that drives like a madman, wasnt ricey really; sounding but it was not deep at all
The two I saw hear must've had a sick-ass exhaust on it because they sounded pretty deep to me. Didn't sound like a jap engine at all.