E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can ledge issues n54 swap into e36

09-06-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
APR-M4!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4

Can ledge issues n54 swap into e36

Currently, I have any e36 project with an n54 from a 2007 335i installed. The engine has been throwing intake cam and boost deactivated codes. Both solinoids, both sensors, and both filters were replaced with new bmw oem parts. The codes still remained. The wiring was checked and the new oem solinoids and sensors were swapped to test for a bad new unit. Nothing changed the codes.

It seems likely the cams ledge and seals on the intake cam are they cause of the codes. I removed both cam ledges and it appears the intake cam ledge was previously replace with updated teflon seals. The seal seems too be loose in the groove on the intake cam. The ledges appear to have wear marks but smooth with no ridge to grab my fingernail. The exhaust cam has the original cam seal and the ledges look similar to the intake ledge.

I assume the teflon seal has a replacement interval; does anyone know the typical lifespan for the teflon seal? I would like to just replace the seals and put it back together. Curious what others opinions are on these cam ledges and seals. Pictures attached below.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #2
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

There is no interval to change that seal, which is why it was metal in earlier years. Both of those cam ledges look to be work and in need to replacement. They look very similar to how mine looked when I had your problem, that sealing surface is supposed to be flat.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Hey OP I just went through this as well with my 335is. Was only getting code in intake side but when I did the job I took out the exhaust to inspect and the ledge was in a similar situation with grooving I could feel, although less pronounced, but still no code being thrown. My car has teflon type seals since original since it's a updated N54. The moment you get codes for it it's to far, the only solution is a replacement ledge, I have not found any other DIY solutions online. I have not seen or heard of these seals having a regular replacement interval either.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:51 AM   #4
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey OP I just went through this as well with my 335is. Was only getting code in intake side but when I did the job I took out the exhaust to inspect and the ledge was in a similar situation with grooving I could feel, although less pronounced, but still no code being thrown. My car has teflon type seals since original since it's a updated N54. The moment you get codes for it it's to far, the only solution is a replacement ledge, I have not found any other DIY solutions online. I have not seen or heard of these seals having a regular replacement interval either.
You had teflon seals originally and they caused wear? I thought it was impossible for the teflon material to eat into the cam ledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You had teflon seals originally and they caused wear? I thought it was impossible for the teflon material to eat into the cam ledge.
Yeah. I believe you had asked me as well in my thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 03:41 AM   #6
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah. I believe you had asked me as well in my thread.
I'm getting old and forgetful 🥲

Those cam trays are pricey too. Seems it'll just become a maintenance item on high mile cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I'm getting old and forgetful 🥲

Those cam trays are pricey too. Seems it'll just become a maintenance item on high mile cars.
Ha no worries

And yeah... the worst part, from searching on this issue apparently they were 50$ each originally and now they are about 560$ a piece new. Oof
Appreciate 0