E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > World's worst airline

05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Used to fly a lot for work, not so much anymore maybe 10 times a year including personal.
Worst for me was Frontier OC to Cancun via Denver, paid extra for extended leg room at the wifey's request(she has a disability) got bumped because someone walked up and purchased a wheelchair ticket with no reservation and they bumped both of us, no refund not even a sorry. We presented her disability cert she travels with, the counter reps response so what. Left Cancun a week later, delayed no plane no reason missed connector in Denver had to spend the night no comp no room no nothing. They suck will never fly them again.
Had so many memorable flights, from being stuck on tarmac due to rowdy rugby team on board, to stuck next a guy that was literally 400+ pounds in the pre two seat days and he was anxious and sweating and squirming around, yuck fat smelly sweaty person basically on my lap. Last year coming back from Maui on American we had a delay for maintenance, then another delay for them to fly a part in from Honolulu to them saying we're pulling the fuel off and going to Honolulu for the part but with no A/C or service, stuck in Honolulu for 5 hours, reboard and get into San Diego at 3 AM to have to drive 90 minutes home. Originally were to leave Maui at 11AM HDT, that flight sucked balls 15 hours for 5 hour flight.
Really have no horror stories with JetBlue so I just jinxed myself as we're flying with them in 3 weeks to Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #24
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If there is a more incompetent airline than American Eagle, I hope to gawd I never have to fly with them. For the second consecutive flight the crew couldn't fly on time, so my flight was delayed and I had to rebook my connection. And now that we're on board, they've discovered a minor dent in the wing that needs to be written up in the log. This despite the fact that the plane has been sitting here for hours. I may now miss my rebooked connection. Morons.
The American Eagle pilots recently refused to take a pay freezes, so half of their jobs are going away as "punishment" from American. The pilots sure aren't going to help American make things run smoothly.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 05-28-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Two weeks ago I flew to Los Angeles.. My itinerary was

Depart New Orleans at 750pm --> DFW
Depart Dallas at 10:30pm --> LAX

Seamless right? Wrong.

Plane coming from Dallas to New Orleans to pick us up and bring us to DFW to catch the LAX flight landed in New Orleans just after midnight after running out of gas and having to divert to Baton Rouge to fuel. At midnight I said fuck this and just went back home since no flights out of Dallas to LAX were even available that point. Had to rebook with Delta on a direct flight for the next day. Sitting at an airport that long really stressed me out.

That was strike one.

Returning from LAX back to New Orleans 4 days later....with AA once again.

Itinerary was

Depart LAX 12:40pm --> DFW
Deparat DFW 7:05pm --> New Orleans

What could go wrong?

Boarded the LAX plane on time....then waited 1h 20mins for them to try and figure out how to get water on the plane. Finally gave up when none of the hoses would work so we had to wait for trucks to bring us water. All clear for depature right? Wrong. Then there was no one to push us back from the gate. The captain kept coming on the speaker apologizing over and over. We sat on the plane over 2 hours just waiting to get to the run way. Was I going to make my connecting flight? Nope. Was my connecting flight the last plane out of DFW that day to NOLA? Yup.

Land in Dallas walk slowly to the connecting agent meeting everyone at the gate to discuss rebooking. Only to find out that the DFW to New Orleans plane was having electrical issues and was surprisingly still in Dallas being worked on. Literally RAN to the gate and boarded that plane.

All three AA planes I had passes for screwed up in one way or another. Never again AA.

All this while 8 months pregnant. Talk about being stressed out. I will never fly connecting flights ever again. Non stop only or I'm not going.

Last edited by Sara; 05-28-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #26
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Finally we drove to Chicago. Just finished dinner. Nearly 12 hours after we left the house and we're still in Illinois.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #27
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

GOL was pretty bad too but it was the only way for me to get to Manaus.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #28
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
@M_Six - your day definitely sucks. I want to thank you for making me feel better about mine. But seriously, that sucks.

Since everyone else is sharing their airline experiences ...

I used to travel weekly for work (~50k/year), now it's just the occasional trip. I was Star Alliance Gold and took United and US Airways pretty much exclusively (I'm upset US Airways is now with American). I went out of PHL and connected through ORD, IAX, DFW 80% of the time. TBH I experienced very little in the way of issues with any of the Star Alliance carriers and they were very good to me on numerous occasions, Republic Airlines especially. I got bumped to first class several times with a coach ticket before I even had Gold status (United's rewards program is the best of the bunch in that regard). I remember getting delayed in IAX due to a massive thunderstorm. I switched my flight at the last minute to another United flight leaving for PHL; naturally I got stuck with the row 27 middle seat. They handed me a first class upgrade as I boarded.

The worst things that happened to me, which are not nearly as bad as what happened to some of you:
-Boarded a tiny Canadair regional jet in Atlanta as a thunderstorm rolled in; sat there for three hours with almost no A/C (cabin door closed, couldn't deplane).
-Had a flight PHL > IAX > Albuquerque; never made it to IAX on time, next flight out put me through Phoenix and then to Albuquerque. Arrived at 3am and had a client meeting at 6am.
-Stranded in IAX going to PHL; my morning flight was canceled and I stayed an entire day there and didn't get on another flight until late the next morning.
-Was going through security as I learned my flight was canceled (always fun, happened twice).

So, not too bad.

The one airline I refuse to take is American because they still use the McDonnell Douglas MD80s. They're ancient relics with the worst cabin layout and are quite loud inside. I'll take American again when they mothball those abominations.
Another plane I won't take is a 757. Airbus A321's are far superior; quieter and more room. I'm a relatively small person and even I feel confined in a 757 let alone someone 200+ lbs.
      05-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #29
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

So 15 hours after we left home we made it to NYC. Only 2 hours spent flying. Friggin' American refunded only $80 for the r/t from the dinky airport to O'Hare we didn't use (that's two people r/t), but then charged us $96 for sitting in the e-row on the flight to Laguardia. Somebody at American is going to get an earful tomorrow.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #30
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Ethiopian Airlines.
Malaysian if you're chinese.
Korean Air if they're flying into somewhere they speak english.
Malaysian airlines was pimp the 6 times I've flown them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #31
turd
This is the worst dating site ever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

I fly a lot and have had bad experiences with many over the years.

1. US Airways staff is primarily a bunch of menopausal old hags with nothing but disdain and contempt for their passengers.

2. When I fly Delta, I usually get the "Delta Deal" what is the delta deal you ask? The Delta Deal is either your flight is on time or you get your luggage.

3. Ethiopian Air. Their seats are more narrow and less leg room than any other airline. When you are 6'3" and flying across the pond in a small seat it makes for a terrible flight.

4. Yemenia Airway, just plain scary. Though we were going to all die more than once.

Over all I have found the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones and a couple Ambien will take away a lot of your flying woes.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #32
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
@
The one airline I refuse to take is American because they still use the McDonnell Douglas MD80s. They're ancient relics with the worst cabin layout and are quite loud inside. I'll take American again when they mothball those abominations.
LOL and I hear you on American with the MD80's. Its scary how they operate. Complex trailing edge wings + tail/rudder mechanisms. When i board a plane right before stepping "in" the plane, I look at the door jam for the "born on Date" aluminum tag. Absolute terrified when those "tags" read 1974, 1973, 1972

However, truth be told, the MD80s have the BEST #1 flight/safety record.
-Someone with Google skills can bring these stats up or a veteran pilot can chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs
skip to 3:24 for a Lolzs....
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD

Last edited by Cuz5150; 05-29-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's right around 2.3 million hours of flight time for every 1 accident.
Almost 1,200 built and only like 60 have had an accident

Here's the last 4 according to the NTSB:
1. Probable Cause Factual -(12/03/2009)
Probable Cause - (03/03/2010)
--Event Date: 6/1/2009
-- Make/Model: MCDONNELL DOUGLAS MD80
-- NTSB # OPS09IA006A
-- Event Severity: Incident

2. Foreign 3/20/1999 GENEVA, Switzerland Boeing MD80/87 DCA99WA081 Incident

3. Probable Cause Factual (01/10/1995)
Probable Cause (10/13/1995)
-- Event Date: 7/8/1994
-- Make/ Model: MCDONNELL DOUGLAS MD80
-- NTSB #: FTW94IA227
-- Carrier: CONTINENTAL AIRLINES
- Reg. # N83873

4. Probable Cause Factual
Probable Cause (01/25/1990)
-- Event Date: 7/14/1988
-- Make/Model: DOUGLAS MD80
-- NTSB#: CHI88IA165
-- Carrier: AMERICAN AIRLINES
- Reg # N253A

For the rest, go here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx

and use "MD8" for the query this way you'll get the 80s, 82s, 88s, 80/87s, 83-s
...it seems most of them involve Delta Airlines...

Last edited by 954Stealth; 05-29-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #34
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
I fly a lot and have had bad experiences with many over the years.

1. US Airways staff is primarily a bunch of menopausal old hags with nothing but disdain and contempt for their passengers.

2. When I fly Delta, I usually get the "Delta Deal" what is the delta deal you ask? The Delta Deal is either your flight is on time or you get your luggage.

3. Ethiopian Air. Their seats are more narrow and less leg room than any other airline. When you are 6'3" and flying across the pond in a small seat it makes for a terrible flight.

4. Yemenia Airway, just plain scary. Though we were going to all die more than once.

Over all I have found the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones and a couple Ambien will take away a lot of your flying woes.
I also fly a lot, and having a good set of headphones is one of the best things you can get for yourself.

Where I fly out of my choices are basically fly Delta (who I'm a Million Miler with), United or American (who I avoid like the plague). I haven't had to check luggage in the last 5 years or so, but I do remember getting the "Delta Deal" you were talking about a few times. I rarely have any issues with Delta, though I know there are a lot of people who hate them, that may be my Million Miler status with them though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Well then, get ready to fly the "New" American. They just bought a bunch of Boeing 737 800's and the Airbus equivalents to replace the fuel drinking MD80's. I, too, HATE the MD80's. I remember flying them all the time back in the day on both TWA and AA. Most recently I had to fly American to L.A. and ALL of the SAT to DFW flights (they're every hr. on the hr. back and forths) are on MD80's.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #36
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Are the MD80s the ones with the crappy double e-rows? Those seats suck and American has the gall to charge extra for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The TU-204 is pretty bad too, but maybe not as much as the MD80s....but imagine flying from Montenegro (Tivat) to Moscow in the most uncomfortable airline seat you can imagine.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 05-29-2014 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

I never really leave the west coast so I stick with Alaska or Hawaiian (when we go to Hawaii).

I've had some terrible experiences with Delta and United. But it has been years since I've flown with anyone but the two mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #39
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

china airlines.

dangerous
      05-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #40
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Northwest was the worst I'd ever flown pre-merger.

US Airways is the most God awful airline. Their people are just terrible and save for the one time I actually got on one of their new A340's to cross the pond, their fleet is composed entirely of Rust Bucket Boeing's on their last legs. The 757 coming back across the pond was nerve racking.

United is close second to the US Airways jokers.

AA ranks right underneath the aforementioned.

I can't wait to see who wins the worst airline combination in the United vs. the "New" American (merged with US Airways).

Best Airline: Southwest.

+1 for Southwest -they rock.
      05-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #41
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

I miss seeing and hearing the Concorde. I heard the service on that plane was top notch. No coach. All first class seating.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #42
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I miss seeing and hearing the Concorde. I heard the service on that plane was top notch. No coach. All first class seating.
That was truly an awesome plane, it's too bad that it was so damn expensive to fly. I would be interested to know if that will be something we will see again any time in the semi near future.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #43
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
That was truly an awesome plane, it's too bad that it was so damn expensive to fly. I would be interested to know if that will be something we will see again any time in the semi near future.
My boss flew on it a couple times. He said they display your altitude and MPH on a screen. When it starts to reach the 700+ mark it breaks the sound barrier. That’s just crazy!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #44
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
My boss flew on it a couple times. He said they display your altitude and MPH on a screen. When it starts to reach the 700+ mark it breaks the sound barrier. That’s just crazy!
They did, had them right at the front of each cabin. Eating a filet for lunch at 59,000 and 1200MPH wasn't a terrible experience

Only ever was able to fly on it once but it was certainly a very memorable experience.
Appreciate 0