E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why do you US citizens need so much power ? (rant)

Closed Thread

06-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Why do you US citizens need so much power ? (rant)

I recently visited US (again) in Seattle, WA. and noticed that even on highways the speed limit is 60mph. Anyone going over 75-80mph would end up stopped by a police car a few miles down the road. In town people were driving so relaxed and polite that going over 40mph would make you feel guilty. If you would accelerate with the slightest agressivity you would turn everybody's heads

So, why do you need more power ? I think the smaller cars/engines from Europe would suit USA just fine...

I must reckon US feels a very safe country from the driving point of view, but in no way would you need more than 110-130hp on a car with a reasonable weight and manual gearbox. What I noticed though is that most cars there are so heavy that they need some big power just to move from a standstill. I drove a brand new 250hp 3.5l V6 Dodge Charger ("high output" engine ? come on... ) and my 115hp Renault Megane would kick its ass in every way.

There are three things that ruin US cars:

1. the weight
2. the use of automatic gearboxes.
3. the suspension (barge-like on every car).

Combine these and you end up needing an enormous amount of power just to drive decently. You can easily outperform a 250hp 3.5l US car with a 100hp 1.4l manual Euro car like a Golf (Beetle).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Wow.

Are you honestly saying 'what's the point in cars that go over the speed limits?'.

I can't comment too much on the US vehicle rant, as I'm in the UK, but from what I've seen recently they have come on leaps and bounds compared to where they were a few years ago (with regards to fuel economy).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I'm not quite sure about your last sentence, but yeah the size and automatic means more power is needed to move cars around decently. It's not really a matter of real necessity, but its more of just bragging rights. Plus with the relatively cheap fuel prices here, it's very conducive to big, heavy, powerful, inefficient cars (and trucks).

Seattle is a pretty tame driving city though. Come to LA. People routinely go 15-20mph over limits, both on the highway and city streets. A lot of highway on ramps here also have short merges, so more power comes in handy to get up to speed faster.

I guess the same question can be directed to you. Why did you buy a 300hp car in a continent dominated by superminis?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I'm not quite sure about your last sentence, but yeah the size and automatic means more power is needed to move cars around decently. It's not really a matter of real necessity, but its more of just bragging rights. Plus with the relatively cheap fuel prices here, it's very conducive to big, heavy, powerful, inefficient cars (and trucks).

Seattle is a pretty tame driving city though. Come to LA. People routinely go 15-20mph over limits, both on the highway and city streets. A lot of highway on ramps here also have short merges, so more power comes in handy to get up to speed faster.

I guess the same question can be directed to you. Why did you buy a 300hp car in a continent dominated by superminis?

Ah, but we have 300bhp superminis !!!

Being serious for a sec, the average driving speed in Europe is a good deal higher than in the US. Couple that with the availability of the autobahn in Germany, having a higher powered car can be justified. Ultimately however, no one needs 300bhp, or 400bhp or whatever the latest huge figure is. There is a bit of a cultural difference though - as you have rightly said, a lot of the power-craze in the US is due to bragging rights... over here, people care less about what power their car has, and more about the brand of the car !!

Cultural differences....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

DING DING DING. You hit the nail on the head there.

American manufacturers (or foreign brands with US branches) have determined that us Americans need more space. Space = larger cars, and larger cars = more weight. Then, we all need to feel like we can get somewhere fast, so in order to power these heavy cars, we need bigger and stronger engines. The US in unlike europe in that we have more open spaces and can accomodate the larger cars without issue. So, in the end, we have a heavier, larger, more powerful car which suits the majority of the public just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
DING DING DING. You hit the nail on the head there.

American manufacturers (or foreign brands with US branches) have determined that us Americans need more space. Space = larger cars, and larger cars = more weight.
But why do americans need more space than Europeans inside cars ? In the USA way more people drive alone in the car compared to my country, for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

And at the doomsday of the world economy, americans finally realize that "smaller", more economic cars aren't that bad after all
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh, I think Obama noticed too

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...ance-cars.html
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

Thanks for the history lesson.

Until this post, I thought only BMW,Mercedes, Audi, Porshce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Ford, Volvo, GM, Bentley, VW, Bugatti, and Land Rover made fast high-horsepower cars ONLY for the US.

Thanks for sharing

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
But why do americans need more space than Europeans inside cars ? In the USA way more people drive alone in the car compared to my country, for example.

No idea, you have to ask the auto manufacturers that. Apparently someone somewhere who makes decisions thinks this is how it is. Not that I am complaining, mind you. Its not like our bimmers are good for seating 5 grown men comfortably
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
We're bigger then most other people... and im not just talking about the whales either.

and in regards to the suspension comment... our roads here suck so they have to put the crappy suspension on the cars.

Now regarding the high weight and HP cars, we gotta have the fastest, biggest, cars possible... we're gluttons oink oink "pig and a poke".

for a few its about 0-60 so doing 75-80 isnt a concern , But i hear your comments. if you consistantly do 75-80 in some areas its a safe bet you'll get ticket(s).

just a different country with different things. If america was the same as your country would there be any reson to travel here ?

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
I recently visited US (again) in Seattle, WA. and noticed that even on highways the speed limit is 60mph. Anyone going over 75-80mph would end up stopped by a police car a few miles down the road. In town people were driving so relaxed and polite that going over 40mph would make you feel guilty. If you would accelerate with the slightest agressivity you would turn everybody's heads
This is part of the double standard in this country...it's okay if they are speeding, but when you speed near their home they get

Quote:
So, why do you need more power ? I think the smaller cars/engines from Europe would suit USA just fine...
People want to flex their muscles via their car in the US. Also we need all that power to move all that weight from safety features that would protect us from an asteroid collision. Don't forget, nearly any American idiot can get a license.

Quote:
I must reckon US feels a very safe country from the driving point of view, but in no way would you need more than 110-130hp on a car with a reasonable weight and manual gearbox. What I noticed though is that most cars there are so heavy that they need some big power just to move from a standstill. I drove a brand new 250hp 3.5l V6 Dodge Charger ("high output" engine ? come on... ) and my 115hp Renault Megane would kick its ass in every way.
I don't feel safe...no road discipline at all. And the BMW 120d I drove in Germany would spank ~80% of American cars

Quote:
There are three things that ruin US cars:

1. the weight
2. the use of automatic gearboxes.
3. the suspension (barge-like on every car).
Americans tend to like a very smooth ride...and our highways are mainly straight and most drivers take turns on local roads at 5 mph, so the barge suspension is perfect.

Quote:
Combine these and you end up needing an enormous amount of power just to drive decently. You can easily outperform a 250hp 3.5l US car with a 100hp 1.4l manual Euro car like a Golf (Beetle).
Well thanks for pointing out how retarded this country is in terms of its driving system. As I said, between most Americans not knowing how to drive manual, most American cars needing enormous safety features because anyone get can a license and anyone can sue, and Americans love of all things large (SUVs vs wagons), we need a lot of power. We are a country formed by rejects from other countries, but it's the best damn place in the world.

When gas prices increase for us, I am sure we will start to learn that bigger is not always better.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I think all your comments and questions get validated or answered by the bankruptcy of Chrysler and, this AM, General Motors.
Ford, which makes a lot of small cars in Europe, is doing ok and seems likely to weather the world wide economic problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

I'm not defending it, but alot of it comes down to culture and lifestyle differences between us. Europe has 1000x better public transport, and the geography makes for much shorter travel distances. Limited space, much narrower legacy roadways in mature cities and significantly higher fuel costs force people into that choice. If Europe was 3x the size it is with no meaningful rail or bus system that transcended borders and fuel cost $.60 liter you think everyone would be driving micro-sub-compacts out of some higher social conscience? Ha! - Not likely.

As someone who is guilty of having the wife drive an MDX (a thirsty tank), it's hard to put your kids sub-compact when you share the road with 50 million other people in giant suv's. When they switch I'd be happy to.

Also - I don't think cars have to be small to be efficient, but building a larger car using light-weight materials just costs alot more. Doesn't mean it can't be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

come to Miami if you think everyone drives at 60mph....i've seen people going 80 pass cops and not get stopped. Its nice to have the power for merging and passing....its also in our culture from the muscle car era (1970 Chevelle SS 454 anybody??)
      06-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I couldn't agree with OP any more... that is why I drive a BMW and not some crappy American rust bucket. I love the USA, served in the military, and wave my flag/s. But I am not an idiot either, and I have class (style). American cars just aren't as nice, refined, stylish, etc. as the foreign cars. And you are EXACTLY right, they are too big, too heavy, and handle like crap. That is why so many of us love to have our Japanese/European 4 and 6 cylinder cars and run circles around many of these loud and annoying V8 cars. I am not old fashioned, I like new and innovative. Amazing how the American car companies are having trouble

As far as speed goes, try driving through Alabama sometime We have 70 mph speed limits and most people (on average!) are going about 85 or so down the interstate. This is the home of Talladega Plus we have drag strips and road tracks all over the place. Interstate 459 is the "Birmingham Raceway" because so many people race top-end there. The best part is that we have about 5 billion Rustangs running around who all think they are the fastest car ever! They are fun to race, so loud and obnoxious, with their cowl hoods and crap Let's just say I haven't lost to one yet
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Andras
Bodhisattva
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 MY07

Exclamation

Quote:
But why do americans need more space than Europeans inside cars ?
Because obesity is pandemic in the US but just a minor issue in Europe.
And it's not my point of view, it's statistics.
Which is much worse than an italian dude's point of view

335I E92 6AT - V3.2 - GRUPPE M - FMI - RR DOWNPIPES - AE EXHAUST HFC
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andras View Post
ya but you will see 3 fat chicks climb out of a Hyundai and watch the car lift up like 4 inches lolz
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
dannygenio
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 Flaming Red

Because there are people like me who doesn't give SHIT About the COPS!!!.. YEA... I am RICH
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
DR_E92
Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andras View Post
+1

lots of fat ppl in the US coupled with not knowing how to drive properly
      06-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

From a 2007 Top Gear Survey:

". . . nearly every category sees a badly-built, unreliable European banger at the bottom."

http://www.topgear.com/content/carsu...ures/07/1.html
      06-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

hehe, good read I don't see my categories though: fun to drive and hauls ass! But I like my luxury too. My 350z was the "touring" ediition with leather heated seats and the upgraded stereo with 6 disk in-dash CD player. Unfortunately if was a bit of a piece of shit and looking back it was a plastic rattle box. Now I have a 335i. Perfect combo for me, just wish the HPFP was more solid.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread