E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 sound...then and now.

05-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #67
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
F1 is becoming a sport of how can make fuel last the longest, rather than who can go the fastest.
^ THIS exactly unfortunately. I am ALL in favor of motorsports pushing the limits of technology further and further... but what's next? Next thing you know the Pike's Peak Hillclimb is no longer chasing the quickest time... instead the race is to see who finishes the race with an AVG over 30MPG. Ugh.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #68
Woots
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4///M Roadster

The cars will get louder very soon...after a few European races there should be an improvement
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #69
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I certainly hope so.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #70
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
The cars will get louder very soon...after a few European races there should be an improvement
I'm not expecting much, if any change.

The engine is still a turbocharged V6. The turbocharger is damping a LOT of the noise coming from the engine; it's a byproduct of turbocharging an engine. There isn't a whole lot you can do about the sound with the new engine regs. And besides, you shouldn't have to 'manufacture' a good exhaust note. You should have some kick-ass engines that do it naturally. WTF is with F1, BMW, etc and the manufacturing of an exhaust note?!?!?! The whole notion is laughable.

And the teams are still going to be revving the engines between 10 and 12K. The fuel flow limit is holding them back, and it's not like we're all of a sudden going to see a team out there going lap after lap at the 15K limit. Fuel flow limit + no in-race refueling = endurance racing. That's basically what F1 has been butchered into.

The whole notion of F1 being 'earth friendly' is absurd. Want to reduce the global impact of F1? Tell a team like McLaren to stop bringing a dozen and a half motorhomes to each race. Besides, the cars are returning what, 6mpg instead of the 3 or so from the V10 era? Fuel economy is not why people like watching F1. If fans were drawn to fuel economy, Toyota parking lots worldwide would be jam-packed with people staring at Priuses.

F1 cars today are a joke. F1 is not about transferring technology to road cars; that's what LeMans racing is for. If it happens because of F1, think of it as a happy accident. F1 should be about the manufactures going balls out, engineering the most insane chassis and drivetrains they could ever dream up and throwing it out on track. Someone needs to pull Jean Todt aside and remind him that F1 is supposed to be an automotive freak show. Right now it's about as technically compelling as a Sony Walkman.

Bring back the V10s.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #71
Woots
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post

The engine is still a turbocharged V6. The turbocharger is damping a LOT of the noise coming from the engine; it's a byproduct of turbocharging an engine. There isn't a whole lot you can do about the sound with the new engine regs. And besides, you shouldn't have to 'manufacture' a good exhaust note. You should have some kick-ass engines that do it naturally. WTF is with F1, BMW, etc and the manufacturing of an exhaust note?!?!?! The whole notion is laughable.

And the teams are still going to be revving the engines between 10 and 12K. The fuel flow limit is holding them back, and it's not like we're all of a sudden going to see a team out there going lap after lap at the 15K limit. Fuel flow limit + no in-race refueling = endurance racing. That's basically what F1 has been butchered into.

The whole notion of F1 being 'earth friendly' is absurd. Want to reduce the global impact of F1? Tell a team like McLaren to stop bringing a dozen and a half motorhomes to each race. Besides, the cars are returning what, 6mpg instead of the 3 or so from the V10 era? Fuel economy is not why people like watching F1. If fans were drawn to fuel economy, Toyota parking lots worldwide would be jam-packed with people staring at Priuses.

F1 cars today are a joke. F1 is not about transferring technology to road cars; that's what LeMans racing is for. If it happens because of F1, think of it as a happy accident. F1 should be about the manufactures going balls out, engineering the most insane chassis and drivetrains they could ever dream up and throwing it out on track. Someone needs to pull Jean Todt aside and remind him that F1 is supposed to be an automotive freak show. Right now it's about as technically compelling as a Sony Walkman.

Bring back the V10s.
Well it's certainly causing a debate!
As for manufacturing of exhaust noise...I do see where you're comin from, I'm just going to playfully argue back, as this thread would be boring if it was all one sided and although I do work for one of the F1 teams in the uk I do see where you're coming from but have to defend to some degree.
Every road car manufactures exhaust noise. Aston Martin have a while department of engineers and acoustic guys who work for weeks trying new designs to give the cars the range of sounds that are possible. I know it helps they're a lovely v8/12 but if I made an exhaust for an Aston it would sound shit! So to some degree it's all manufactured. F1 is simply all about getting as much performance as the teams allow. As for how much work is going to be done...I'm not too sure...or how much it'll change but at least a step is bring made.
Personally...I think what should've been done is an attempt to make bigger engines as economical as possible...'how economical can we make a v8' limit the size to a 2.2 v8 and a limit of 120g of fuel per race...not per hour and see what can be done. It's a shame no road car will be a v8/10 in future so maybe this would've kept the depth of engines we see today
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #72
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

AMEN Brother! Freak Show! Freak Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post

Bring back the V10s.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #73
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I read somewhere that one team at least will be fitting a megaphone to the exhaust for more noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #74
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

One reason I think the F1 engines are so quiet, is the HERS system. The extra exhaust energy is used to spin the generator.

Gearing increases the loads on the turbo to maintain proper boost instead of a wastegate, so under highest boost conditions, the loud exhaust that normally would exit the wastegate (which makes a lot of noise) is used to spin the generator.

ALL the exhaust goes through the turbo, which quiets things down a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #75
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Meanwhile...

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhULH2ATcN4[/u2b]
Appreciate 0