E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > The Other Rolex -- Cellini

10-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

The Other Rolex -- Cellini

When most folks say "Rolex watch," they mean Rolex Oyster, but Rolex have long has a line of dress watches, Cellini. I guess the relative obscurity of the Cellini watches is as it should be for a new Oyster generally costs half as much or less than a new Cellini. That's a difference that even folks who have the money to spend on either will notice. Plus, quite often, the Cellini models are manual rather than automatics. Finally, Cellinis don't always have presentation backs, another feature some high end dress watch buyers require.

The Cellini models change design fairly often, even though they don't change the model name. For example, here are the versions of the Prince model:

And several of the Danaos:

If one Googles for vintage Cellini, one will see all sorts of styles (https://www.google.com/search?q=role...44334&imgdii=_)

For 2014, Rolex introduced a new Cellini model: Cellini Time. It's an automatic and it's gorgeous. (http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-cellini-time/)

You can watch A. Adams' video review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OXiekifR9fk .

There's also a dual time version:

And there's one with date functionality:

I rather like Cellini watches. They have all the goodness of a Rolex Oyster -- durability, reliability, solid and easily serviced movements -- but they have proper dress watch styling, If one is just a dyed in the wool Rolex fan, it makes great sense to get a Cellini for dress and an Oyster for sport, after all the Oysters are made to be sport watches.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

ive never been a fan of cellini watches. they felt too feminine to me. my mother in law has one. its gorgeous on her, but for guys...meh.

but with that being said, ive never seen the first 2 watches you posted. those are kinda nice.
      11-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Ghost141
Rep
Drives: M

I love the new model, it has a very clean and elegant look to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

I got an invite to the local Rolex dealer yesterday and checked out the Basel 2014 collection they had. I was very surprised how beautiful the Cellini model line looks. Very elegant and classy. I have my eye on the dual time in platinum with silver dial and black strap.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
wristi
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for sharing. I have a love/hate relationship with Cellini (and Rolex in general)

I either LOVE LOVE LOVE some of the models or cant stand them. Tudor on the other hand, can do no wrong in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
megan mia
Registered
Rep
Drives: IT IS BLACK

hmm that is really nice i will get on for my bf also
Appreciate 0