E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Want to learn all things Cars...

05-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Question Want to learn all things Cars...

Hey guys, I've been starting to do simple work on my car, and I wanted to know if there was any kind of tutorial videos or maybe online blogs that discuss all the parts within a Car and how they work/what they do.

I've searched googled guite a few times, i'll get some info on cars, but not really an in-depth look into the individual parts. All they have is general things, like steering wheel, suspension, you know...but not really much about how the crank shaft works, or how the differential functions, or what happens when I turn the wheel...all the mechanics behind the simple ideas.

Thanks for any help offered or given

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

A good start would be to get on Wikipedia and read about how an internal combustion engine works. Pretty much all of the parts under the hood are there to help provide air, fuel or ignition, or to cool/lubricate the engine. Once you understand how the engine itself works it becomes easier to see why "x" part is needed or what "y" part does to do "z."

Research major changes to cars over the years and understand why they were made. For example, why carburetors were mostly phased out in favor of fuel injection, or why independent suspension is superior to a torsion bar.

Also continuing to work on your car and DIY your maintenance is about the quickest way to nail down the purpose of specific parts.

Looking at a car's suspension or engine it is easy to be overwhelmed, but just keep at it. Cars are actually incredibly simple.

Last edited by PINeely; 05-16-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
A good start would be to get on Wikipedia and read about how an internal combustion engine works. Pretty much all of the parts under the hood are there to help provide air, fuel or ignition, or to cool/lubricate the engine. Once you understand how the engine itself works it becomes easier to see why "x" part is needed or what "y" part does to do "z."

Research major changes to cars over the years and understand why they were made. For example, why carburetors were mostly phased out in favor of fuel injection, or why independent suspension is superior to a torsion bar.

Also continuing to work on your car and DIY your maintenance is about the quickest way to nail down the purpose of specific parts.

Looking at a car's suspension or engine it is easy to be overwhelmed, but just keep at it. Cars are actually incredibly simple.

Yea, I've been reading the Bentley Publisher for my car and some of the things are pretty easy to understand considering the complexity of some of the tasks they were designed to perfom.
Appreciate 0