E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Ferrari team order controversy.

07-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #67
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
It doesn't matter because $100K to an F1 team is chump change. Why would Ferrari or anyone else argue over it? They achieved a 1-2 finish for maximum points in spite of all the uproar over nothing. I'd say it was a good day. Ferrari did exactly what they should have done and what every other team does - maximize their points towards the championships. It's all good IMO.
The amount doesn't matter. You are right.

What does matter is that it is the max allowable before further investigation. I view it more as a place holder. So feel free to discredit it now, but it may not be this low for long.

Of course, its possible nothing will come of the WMSC investigation. But since this rules has been in the limelight for a while I get the feeling they will do something just to nip the situation completely.
      07-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #68
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Ferrari always been like that...cheating cheating. It was the perfect match with Shoemaker(cheater that it Hill in 94 JV in 97) and various other occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #69
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
IMO what should come is the elimination of an unenforceable rule that was implimented because F1 fans have no clue what team sports is all about. If Ferrari is fined a million dollars does that change anything? No of course not. The obligation of the team is to maximize their points gain at every race for both the constructor's and driver's championships and they did.

If people don't like this nor understand team sports, then don't watch team sports. This silly rule did not exist until a knee-jerk reaction by the FIA in 2003. Now there will be even more pressure to repeal this rule.
The rule was still broken on the 25th of July, 2010.
      07-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #70
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Please,
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #71
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have a new addition to my ignore list (the only one, FWIW).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #72
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

this dispute can go on until abu dabi. i see where trackrat is coming from. there was never a command given by the team over the radio that said "let alonso pass." however given what was said over the radio, it was implied that the team wanted alonso to pass massa. I think that much we can all agree on.

as to why they wanted him up front, I'm surprised many people don't see it the way i'm seeing it. why have massa slow down and block his teammate? if alonso is clearly faster than massa, he should go around and massa should be blocking vettel.

yes i am a ferrari fan. i have a prancing horse flag on my wall over my bed (along with a BMW flag). but im just as big of a massa fan. another guy i work with is a ferrari fan, and he disapproved of everything that happened yesterday. on the contrary, i also work with 2 mclaren fans (one being my boss) and they both thought that it was the right move.
while this is a race and a way to put the drivers under a microscope to see who's fastest, its also a team sport before anything else. either driver winning a driver's championship is highly unlikely, but if they can dominate the next few race weekends the way they did this past, they'll be right on top. i think a constructor's title says alot more the just the DC. thats what i said to my boss at the end of 2008 (just 1 point separating massa and hamilton).
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #73
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

party claps!

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #74
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
The team bosses saying they will let their drivers race, that's not entirely true...when the right moment comes, the will pick in favor the team to win BOTH WDC and WCC.

I absolutely understand why did Ferrari did this, the team was trailing a big gap behind RBR and McLaren, they will need the 1-2, and they will get it anyways. But the most point scored driver in Ferrari is FA and he was trailing a massive points behind Vettel, Webber, Button, Hamilton, and just a few points ahead of Rosberg and Kubica. Thus, they need a decision to bring both Ferrari and FA back in the Championship game ASAP.

However, "rules" are clearly written. They could've done it in a more discrete way and have the boss Stefano D directly tell Massa what to do, not Rob Smedley do the dirty work. Plus, given both cars were at P2 and P3 starting the race, shouldn't they have some strategy agreed during the strategy meeting. As if they didn't foresee themselves could score a 1-2 on Sunday. Its more like a random decision being acted, and pushed by FA's radio communication.

The ban of team orders contradicts the "team" sports itself. Its a team sport and there will ALWAYS be team orders. The rule should be scrapped or re-written.

Since the rule is here to stay at the moment. Ferrari should follow and play by the rules.
      07-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #75
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #76
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
The team bosses saying they will let their drivers race, that's not entirely true...when the right moment comes, the will pick in favor the team to win BOTH WDC and WCC.

I absolutely understand why did Ferrari did this, the team was trailing a big gap behind RBR and McLaren, they will need the 1-2, and they will get it anyways. But the most point scored driver in Ferrari is FA and he was trailing a massive points behind Vettel, Webber, Button, Hamilton, and just a few points ahead of Rosberg and Kubica. Thus, they need a decision to bring both Ferrari and FA back in the Championship game ASAP.

However, "rules" are clearly written. They could've done it in a more discrete way and have the boss Stefano D directly tell Massa what to do, not Rob Smedley do the dirty work. Plus, given both cars were at P2 and P3 starting the race, shouldn't they have some strategy agreed during the strategy meeting. As if they didn't foresee themselves could score a 1-2 on Sunday. Its more like a random decision being acted, and pushed by FA's radio communication.

The ban of team orders contradicts the "team" sports itself. Its a team sport and there will ALWAYS be team orders. The rule should be scrapped or re-written.

Since the rule is here to stay at the moment. Ferrari should follow and play by the rules.
Well put. However, what if the roles of the two drivers were reversed? I just can't see Alonso pulling over for Massa. Maybe I'm wrong and he really is a team player, but I have my doubts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #77
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Well put. However, what if the roles of the two drivers were reversed? I just can't see Alonso pulling over for Massa. Maybe I'm wrong and he really is a team player, but I have my doubts.
I agree, but its all speculation. All we know was Kimi has no problem letting Massa pass like he did in Chinese GP 2008. But FA has a much bigger ego than both Kimi and Felipe...
      07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #78
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
In reality we have no clue exactly what the radio message meant. .....
^time to move on.

Quote:
CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE

Circumstantial evidence is best explained by saying what it is not - it is not direct evidence from a witness who saw or heard something. Circumstantial evidence is a fact that can be used to infer another fact.

Indirect evidence that implies something occurred but doesn't directly prove it; proof of one or more facts from which one can find another fact; proof of a chain of facts and circumstances indicating that the person is either guilty or not guilty.

E.g., If a man accused of embezzling money from his company had made several big-ticket purchases in cash around the time of the alleged embezzlement, that would be circumstantial evidence that he had stolen the money. The law makes no distinction between the weight given to either direct or circumstantial evidence.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #79
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In reality we have no clue exactly what the radio message meant. It could have been Massa was being told that Alonso was faster so that there was not a repeat of the Vettel/Webber incident which was very costly in points.
this is exactly what i believe.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #80
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

you guys are hilarious.

..done here
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #81
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
you guys are hilarious.

..done here

Couldn't have said it better myself. People have been convicted with far less evidence than what was heard over the Ferrari radio. And to think WE were acussed of Fanboism....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #82
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep

I was forced to watch the race on Sunday at work, but i could only stream it in German so I couldn't understand any of the commentating. The race was just shown again on SPEED. The following was a quote from one of the commentators (I'm really not sure who) seconds after the radio transmission to Massa was given.......

"The only way the teams can instigate team orders between their cars legitimately to the sporting regs, is if one car can categorically say that I am faster than the car ahead, my teammate, therefore you must let me past. And that is exactly the message that has been given to Massa. Massa couldn't keep that gap. Rob Smedley asked him to keep it up to 3 seconds and Alonso cut it back down. The message must have come from the pit wall and now you must give Alonso that position."

I don't see how this could lead to the uproar it has.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #83
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
"The only way the teams can instigate team orders between their cars legitimately to the sporting regs, is if one car can categorically say that I am faster than the car ahead, my teammate, therefore you must let me past. And that is exactly the message that has been given to Massa. Massa couldn't keep that gap. Rob Smedley asked him to keep it up to 3 seconds and Alonso cut it back down. The message must have come from the pit wall and now you must give Alonso that position."
All of that quoted is rubbish.

Right now, there are no team orders allowed at all. None. While it still happens, it happens behind the scenes and some in code.

The cause of the uproar is that the team order allegedly happened. The fans especially are upset because that kind of a move just sucks the life out of the remainder of the race.
      07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #84
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Why does it "suck the life out of the remainder of the race"? Do the fans not have a clue about F1 racing? If not does it matter if they are upset? Massa and Alonso would have finished 1-2 or 2-1 regardless.

The fact of the matter is Ferrari did not violate any rules. This is your typical over-reaction just like we see in this thread with all the emotion and barbs, which changes nothing.
You are trying too hard to defend against it. Only the last bit of my post just now was opinionated.

I also mentioned it was only an alleged team order. Figured you of all people would have picked up on that nuance.

Saying the it sucked the life out of the race is exactly what the implementation did for me. The race for 1st was effectively over when the switch happened and the orientation of the podium was set in stone. This is anything but an over reaction, and for a realist such as yourself you really can't disagree. And who is suggesting anything change? I'm perfectly content with the Steward fine and the issue being brought before the WMSC. Don't forget, I'm not again team orders. I said so on page 2 of this thread. Because of the circumstances, I just think it was done in poor taste. A similar view to MSC.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 07-27-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #85
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

It absolutely matters if the fans are upset.
      07-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #86
revster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

I understand F1 racing just fine.

What I don't understand is why fans tolerate the staggering stink of bullshit coming from Maranello.
      07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #87
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Of course Ferrari gave team orders. That should not even be open to debate. IMO, they should be allowed to give team orders. They own the team don't they?

But they need to be aware of the repercussions. That being the blow back from the fans and the hit to the morale of Massa. Being told half way through the season that you are no longer considered a contender has to have some affect on Massa. If Ferrari is willing to put up with an upset employee and pissed off fans then give a team order. That is there choice to make. They must feel it was worth it even though I do not.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #88
Shevon
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
The only one who benefited was Alonso. The "team" would have scored maximum points regardless of whether it was alonso-massa, or massa-alonso. That's the part that blows. No way will Alonso win the drivers championship this year. Too erratic. He's in 5th place because he is the 5th best driver. He needs to quit his fucking bitching and drive more consistently.
My thoughts exactly. we racing you have no skill to pass me so bitch to mommy and make me get out the way. Fuck that cry baby ass. Its racing for a reason pass me......if you can
Appreciate 0