E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Overweight americans influence on the adult clothing business?

View Poll Results: Overweight americans effect on clothing business?
20 percent 3 17.65%
30 percent 6 35.29%
40 percent 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

02-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Overweight americans influence on the adult clothing business?

How much would the adult clothing business decrease if americans did not have to buy clothes bc they don't fit anymore?

I think at least 30.

I personally wont let my weight as I age be the cause of having to buy new clothes.
I may have some old crap (not really - the wife tells me when I need something new), but I can still fit in just about the same waist size that I could 12 years ago.

If anything I have buy large shirts now bc of too much upper body mass. I'm really not a large otherwise.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Truth: I sometimes have trouble respecting overweight people.
After visiting a foreign country (Italy), our overweight population is embarrassing. It's not even a matter of pride over there. People just aren't overweight and they just dress properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Wait. When you say ADULT clothing, all that comes to mind is this...
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Or this...
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Wink

Well, I was trying to keep the infant/children needing new clothes out of the equation.

Thanks for the mental image though

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I think fat people are having an effect on sizing. I have worn XL sweat shirts, and jackets since high school. Recently every XL jacket I try on is huge on me and I am buying large if not large tall, I have definitely not gotten any smaller.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

I have this theory that clothing companies are intentionally making all their sizes fit bigger than they actually are so as to make fat people feel better about themselves when they can fit into what we would consider "average" size.

Here is my 'evidence' to back up my theory so far: 2.5 years ago, I weighed 185 and was wearing M sized shirts. On deployment I packed on 20 pounds and switched to L sized shirts, and they fit perfectly. Then, I noticed about a year ago that the L sized shirts seemed much larger than usual. I'm now back down to wearing a M sized shirt, which is not tight on me at all, and I weigh 210; I'm not any smaller than when I weighed 205. Oh, and I should mention that about 98% of my shirts are all bought from the same company.
      02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep
Drives: Jet pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
I have this theory that clothing companies are intentionally making all their sizes fit bigger than they actually are so as to make fat people feel better about themselves ...
They do adjust their sizings to the general population over the years - it's not a conspiracy ... just standard business.

The missus works in a cloting company and she told me they adjust their sizings every few years.

I wear sz. M in US brands and L in European brands ... go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher821 View Post
They do adjust their sizings to the general population over the years - it's not a conspiracy ... just standard business.

The missus works in a cloting company and she told me they adjust their sizings every few years.

I wear sz. M in US brands and L in European brands ... go figure.
When I was in Japan, I had to wear a XXL t shirt when I was a size L by US standards. On another size issue, I ordered a large size meal from McDonald's in japan and I swear it was the same as a small size order here in the US. Ridiculous.

Oh, and I don't think there is any conspiracy, I never said that. I realize the companies adjust their sizings for the "general population" but they should all be coming together in a campaign against being fat instead.

And to the dude who has a hard time respecting fat people: I'm in the same boat as you, sorta. I just hate when you get the fat people who complain about being fat, and do absolutely nothing about it. I have 0 respect for those people.
      02-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I noticed this too. I used to wear XXL+ so I was a pretty big guy. I'm still overweight, but I can't believe XL is loose on me now. It's great I get more selection now, but kind of sad thinking there are probably a lot more fat people now.

Did they just recently adjust the sizing? Clothing seems to be a size bigger than they were 1-2 years ago.

Quote:
When I was in Japan, I had to wear a XXL t shirt when I was a size L by US standards. On another size issue, I ordered a large size meal from McDonald's in japan and I swear it was the same as a small size order here in the US. Ridiculous.

Oh, and I don't think there is any conspiracy, I never said that. I realize the companies adjust their sizings for the "general population" but they should all be coming together in a campaign against being fat instead.

And to the dude who has a hard time respecting fat people: I'm in the same boat as you, sorta. I just hate when you get the fat people who complain about being fat, and do absolutely nothing about it. I have 0 respect for those people.
it's more profitable this way. people buy more clothes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This reminds me of a story. Two actually. At the Nurburgring, I bought a T-shirt from the gift shop there. It was for my brother, and I bought an XL. Got back to the hotel and I couldn't even get it over my shoulders! It was hilarious! Clearly there is a difference between countries.

Story two. On the flight home, I was watching this morbidly obese woman walk sideways down the isle of the plane. (Not much else to do on a 9 hour flight, and she wouldn't fit normally). As she walked, her ass was rubbing on the people behind her, and her "front ass" (that's what it looked like) was rubbing on the people in front of her. My problem is with her attitude. She'd snap at anyone who complained or made a face. About an hour or so later, I went to the bathroom, and while I was in there, the door rattled. I said, "Hold on a minute, be right out." When I finished, I tried to push the door open, but it wouldn't move. I shoved hard, and the door opened about two inches and rebounded shut almost as hard as I pushed. I shouted, "Excuse me" and a woman's voice said, "I need to get in the bathroom!" I told her she wasn't going to get in until I got out. I tried again, and the door opened about 8 inches and I finally got pissed. I said, "get the hell out of the way of the door!" Sure enough, it was the double ass woman standing on the little platform outside the bathroom. I looked at her in disbelief as she started yelling at me about how rude I was. I told her to loose 200 pounds and then come talk to me... Unbelievable! It was everyting I could do not to tell her to just F&$% off!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^LOL.

Does anyone else here feel that more needs to be done do address the health issue (in regards to obese people) in this country? I'm a fan of shows like "The Biggest Loser" but I don't think there should be any monetary award like the receive at the end, nor do I think people should be allowed to be voted off like they are. The only semi-monetary award they should receive is a gift card for a clothing store for a new wardrobe. Other than that, everyone gets rewarded with being a healthy weight and living longer as a result.

Maybe if more people cared about their weight and did something about it, then the clothing industry would not have to compensate every year to adjust the average size of their clothing.
      02-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Unfortunately, it will take a while before it becomes sufficiently obvious (IE a national health crisis) to require some solution.

I submit that its ingrained in the nations psyche. Well fed people are historically thought to be 'successful'. And we seem to have an obsession with sending that message to as many as possible.

Generally those on the far right probably would be the most hesitant to allocate federal funds (and the states wont have the resources for it) for any solution. Not only do they feel its not the govts place but they also will claim its a violation of an individual's 'right' to accelerate their demise.

Peer pressure (as in some TV show or something) will only have limited effect - and probably on those who feel it necessary anyway.

Most food preparation companies are only MORE inclined to produce larger menu items - they want to be known for giving 'value' to the customer (it also helps their bottom line compared to smaller more numerous selections).

So I don't know what options we have - its gonna suck though.

Last edited by 335e92tx; 02-04-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I have to buy new clothes because I LOST a lot of weight.
      02-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

It bothers me that I cant buy a dress shirt that fits properly. If I find a shirt that fits on the shoulders then the waist is ample enough to fit another 30-50lbs of gut and love handles. I am in shape and have broad shoulders.

American clothing generally sucks because its made to fit rounder larger people.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Searcher821
I find stuff
Rep
Drives: Jet pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
It bothers me that I cant buy a dress shirt that fits properly. If I find a shirt that fits on the shoulders then the waist is ample enough to fit another 30-50lbs of gut and love handles. I am in shape and have broad shoulders.

American clothing generally sucks because its made to fit rounder larger people.
You should buy Hugo Boss Slim Fit shirts - they fit athletic types perfectly.
I have a couple, and you actually look alot wider over the back, because they do not have room for belly blubber.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'll have to check them out. I picked up a couple Hugo Boss Black Label shirts that are nice but the fits just OK. I thought they were slim fit but I just checked the label and they don't seem to be. I'll have to check them out when I get back to NY for the summer.

I need to get dressed up every day for class and I'm just tired of wearing button ups that look like crap because the fit sucks. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

No offense but you're ridiculous for thinking that obesity hasn't been a top national concern for the past few years. Of course it has. The obese population simply doesn't give a fuck because they lack discipline, self control, and the will to go do something physically exerting.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

^^^^^ +1

Quote:
Appreciate 0