E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Fuc* Freecreditreport.com Scam

02-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah, not a scam by any means. Personally I just check my credit periodically through saying I want to buy a car or something, haha. If the score is lower than I thought it should be I will log on and check out why (you get 1 free report every year from the federal government). Also, if you check it too often it is actually bad for your score.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Some of you guys DO NOT listen, as I stated, I NEVER signed up for it! I never ever heard of it until I saw there commercial a couple weeks ago. So yes, It is a scam.
And I am in college and pay 100% for my car, so yea $75 is a lot to me. Its in my account that I don't really use, but its nice to have just in case. Even If I made 100k plus a year I would be pissed off about losing $75. Its my money, no one else's. Mostly If someone is scamming me.
Wish they scammed some of you guys, the way you make it sound, you wouldn't even care. Sounds like I value a dollar better then some of you.
if you never ordered a credit report through them and got charged by them, call your bank and dispute it. that's the easiest thing to do. tell your bank that you've made numerous attempts to resolve the issue with them and have gotten nowhere.

the website didn't scam you. someone else got your info and used your debit card info to pay for their reports which is quite stupid. that can just get traced back.
      02-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

No, its ACTUALLY a scam. I went to my bank today to dispute it, the lady said I'm the 3rd person this month that has came in for "Unknown charges from freecreditreport.com". If someone is just getting my credit card # they could charge it to anything. She cancelled everything from them so hopefully I wont get anymore BS charges.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #26
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

it's not a scam, you peoples just didn't read the fine print. your own fault.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

I will say it again. I NEVER CALLED THEM, I NEVER BEEN TO THERE SITE.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

I think its funny that those of you that tried it and had no problems, say its not a scam. Its like being friends with a serial killer, he likes me, so he's not a murderer.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Freecreditreport.com :

I got it and cancelled it the same hour I bought it.

Never had another fee applied to my credit card.

This is not to discredit anyone as Ive had a similar situation with a diffrent online company.... Proflowers.com

Another scam there. They set me up with a company called "ez saver" on their own without my consent. I know it wasnt with my consent cause Ive ordered flowers from them for a couple years and just recently after my latest purchase I started seeing $15 dollar charges.

I finally called up this ez saver, and the lady was like I can refund you $15, would that be SATISFACTORY?

I'm like what about the other charges..... shes like OH, how much are those for, and im like, $15. and shes like $14.95.

Im like yea $14.95!!!!! Give me everything you guys took from me, I dont know what your company does, dont know how I got signed up and dont want any part of it THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #31
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
anything with the word "FREE" is a scam

are you new to the internet?
      02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #32
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
So I don't really use my debit card very often, but I decided to check how much was in my account 1 day so I checked -$2.50. Somehow this company is getting peoples banks numbers to charge your accounts. I've been charged for 5 months for $15 a month. Being a 21 year old college student, thats a lot of money to me! I have never been on there site or anything, they somehow got my account #, and its happened to many other people. I called them today, talked to 6 different people, they either acted like they couldn't here me or just hung up on me. Complete bullshit. Just wanted to let you guys know. never used freecreditreport.com!
So it's a scam because you didn't read that you'll be charged after 30 days, and you're signing up for a free trial?

It's not a scam. You're just stupid and didn't read it before you signed up.

This is coming from a 20 yr. old college student who has used the yearly free credit report for the year and did NOT get charged a dime because I read everything that I was signing up for.

A scam is something that you, as a consumer, cannot read up any information about. "Hidden fees" are just another way for people to bitch and moan about not reading all of the fine print and such that explicitly state any and all fees. The information is there; you just chose not to read it. A scam would be buying, say, most things you see on TV that claim to do something but when you receive it actually do not. A great example are those "extended hearing aids;" they are simply microphones with no directional ability and do not aid in hearing things far away whatsoever, but they are advertised as such. That is a scam.

So yes, it IS a free credit report...IF you cancel within 30 days. The website isn't lying to you.

Edit:

Wait...so you've never been to their site, never called them, and never used them? Then someone has your credit information, or you recently signed up for something which asked if you wanted to have a free-trial credit report in the fine print. This is a more serious matter if it's identity fraud.

Last edited by fdsasdasdf; 02-04-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #33
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
anything with the word "FREE" is a scam
+1

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
So it's a scam because you didn't read that you'll be charged after 30 days, and you're signing up for a free trial?

It's not a scam. You're just stupid and didn't read it before you signed up.

This is coming from a 20 yr. old college student who has used the yearly free credit report for the year and did NOT get charged a dime because I read everything that I was signing up for.

A scam is something that you, as a consumer, cannot read up any information about. "Hidden fees" are just another way for people to bitch and moan about not reading all of the fine print and such that explicitly state any and all fees. The information is there; you just chose not to read it. A scam would be buying, say, most things you see on TV that claim to do something but when you receive it actually do not. A great example are those "extended hearing aids;" they are simply microphones with no directional ability and do not aid in hearing things far away whatsoever, but they are advertised as such. That is a scam.

So yes, it IS a free credit report...IF you cancel within 30 days. The website isn't lying to you.

Edit:

Wait...so you've never been to their site, never called them, and never used them? Then someone has your credit information, or you recently signed up for something which asked if you wanted to have a free-trial credit report in the fine print. This is a more serious matter if it's identity fraud.
RIghtttt. Thats the thing, its happening to a lot of different people, not just me. People who have never called them or been to there website. Wish I could find the link with all the people that have been scammed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Quote:
I think its funny that those of you that tried it and had no problems, say its not a scam. Its like being friends with a serial killer, he likes me, so he's not a murderer.
it's not a scam to us because we signed up for it and it provides the services we expect from it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #36
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That was the worst example ever! Should have said "he is not a murderer cause he has not killed me yet."

Still, with the profile, there is something you signed up for where FCR.com is in the fine print and you just did not read it. It happens to everyone sometime, no reason to get defensive about it.

If this is such a huge conspiracy then go tell 48 hours about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #37
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Its like talking to walls.

No I didn't, i've never gave my debit card number out to anyone. I've used it around 5 times in 2 years.

But you guys are right, people complaining on the web are liars and my bank teller was lying.
And like someone previously stated it was on CNN about being 1 of the biggest scams.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

if you had used freecreditreport.com to begin with, you would have been warned that they committed fraud with your credit card.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
But you guys are right, people complaining on the web are liars and my bank teller was lying.
And like someone previously stated it was on CNN about being 1 of the biggest scams.
As long as we're talking generalities, the internet is FULL of liars. And since I don't know who you are, you could be one of them (which easily could explain the first two items of your statement). But in all fareness, I could be a liar too. So, lets just lump those first two statements in to hear-say at the moment and look into your third generality where you state that CNN reported that "it" being one of the biggest scams. This is obviously something that you didn't look into, but jumped on an existing bandwagon (party of 2) instead of forming your own educated opinion.

The cool thing about CNN is that they'll keep track of their web articles/interview abstracts, etc. so that you can easily search for them if you ever would need them! Guess what I found there.

Nothing.

As a matter of fact there was no mention of "free credit report scams" at all on CNN's pages. And the only mention of freecreditreport.com was the paid advertisement at the top of the page. Illustrated below.

Sure there are articles (you can see them on the right of the above screen grab) about the issue, but keep in mind they are web results, not CNN results. They basically all read like this one and state that you need to cancel them after the trial to not to get charged for them.

Now, you can continue to argue your points, which I might ad you aren't doing a very good job of, or you can concede that perhaps.. just maybe there is another way that your (5 times used) debit card number could have fallen into the wrong hands...

After all, somehow, someone got it right? You don't really expect anyone to believe that someone magically pulled the card number, the expiration date, and the security code out of thin air do you?

So one of two things happened.

1. You put it in (inevertantly, or not...). You are adamant about that so I won't argue. Again, its hard to accidently input all your info.
2. Someone else put it in. Perhaps you tied the card number to some other "less than reputable" place online who then in turn sold it to someone? Maybe one of those get a free X-Box if you sign up for a free trial of Netflix type of places? Fuck, for all I know it could have been the chinese place down the street that did it. That crap has happened to me before. I buy a tank of gas and the next thing I know someone has bought $1800 worth of furniture for themselves (true story).

Regardless though, don't be so stone walled in your responses. Your defensiveness and disregard for the truth aren't buying you any credibility with anyone..

Last edited by Feyd; 02-05-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #40
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I've clicked on the first 8 links on google and ALL of them say it is a scam...

..they SIGNED UP but were too stupid to realize they were going to be charged. I think you are the only one whose non used credit card got magically put into Triple Score Advantages databse.

Now, if you actually DO some research, all of those 8 pages that called it a scam cause the people were too stupid to read what they were putting credit card information in for... there are guides on how to get a refund.

You are welcome. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-Y...reportcom-Scam
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #41
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

the website "itself" is not a scam. i've used it numerous times to pull my credit report with ZERO issues. something happened in between that you nor any of us can explain but that does not mean it's a scam.

i've even compared freecreditreports.com with mortgage lenders and things have been fine.

"unknown charges" are not scams. they just mean they are "unknown" to the client and that is usually the case with fine print charges. as long as you are getting your money back, there's no need to worry.
      02-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #42
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

If you don't believe me then this thread is worthless. And thats fine, think what you want. Why even bother posting if you don't even believe what Im saying?
I will get my money back.

Any company that hangs up on you or acts like they can't hear you, is a company I never want to deal with in my life.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #43
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you don't believe me then this thread is worthless.
Fair enough.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #44
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Free Credit Report dot com!
Tell your friends, tell your dad, tell you mom!
Never mind, they've been singing our songs
Since we first showed up with our pirate hats on!

That's all I have in my head now.