E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Putting in a showroom floor in my garage.

04-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Putting in a showroom floor in my garage.

I went to Lowe's the other day and saw one of those Quikrete show room floor kits for my garage. I figured this would be a nice thing to do for the new 135i before it gets here. I ended up by remodeling my garage also. It is an older house and needed some work so I ripped out the very old cabinets and am repainting the whole garage, patching the drywall ( alot of holes in the walls from over the years), and doing the floor. I am wondering if anyone has used these quikcrete floor kits for thier garage, and how it turned out for them. Let me know. Also if you would like, I can post pictures if you want to see the work in progress :smile:.
      04-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Please do post pics as I am remodeling my garage as well, the little monster refuses to sleep under the stars.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I used on in the past and the tired started pulling the paint up after a few months.

I used the acid they gave me and scrubbed the floor like crazy twice. I even used a wire brush in the areas where the tires of the car sat previously.

I waited a full day for drying to apply the apint and I made my wife wait a full week to park on it.

Still, the paint pulled up inspite of the claim that it would not.

Now, I used the water based kit and they have since come out with a real epoxy paint kit that costs a little more, but it is probably worth it. I would also recommend using some muriatic acid bought from the store ratehr than the weaker stuff they give you.

For my next place I ended up going with VCT tile instead.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

I did this using an epoxy type with clearcoat on top to my floor over a year ago. It's still holding up great with no chipping/flaking. I don't remember the brand but something similiar to what you are referring to. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I saw this on a car show, and I think it got good reviews. If I had my own garage I would do this...The one I saw reviewed had this sparkle flake stuff you could spread around for a unique little pattern of sparkles haha
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
This is the system that I used: UCoat It - I have the version with the automotive finish.

I'm on my third year and after its 3rd winter, I finally started to see some minor peeling. I contacted UCoat It about this and they seemed very surprised, so they're having me send a sample and a couple of pictures and then sending out a repair kit. He seemed genuinely concerned that it's doing this, so I'm guessing it's not something that's common for them. Great customer service, in my opinion.

Here are a couple of pics (click for larger versions):

I know, I know, this isn't a Subaru board, but I don't have anymore with the entire floor showing...

Hopefully a loaded up 1er will be sitting in here soon... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have been taking pictures. I will post them once the job is completed. Today I sanded the walls and applied the primer to the walls. Tomorrow I can paint the ceiling and walls. Then hopefully start on the floor tomorrow night. My kit is the epoxy kit with the paint chips to throw on the floor. I also got the showroom shie coating which was extra.
      04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

I'b building a new house... not sure how to finish off the garage... was thinking just raw concrete, I kind of like that look... are there any benefits to any of these finishes or is it just aesthetics?

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

Oil won't stain the finish like it will with concrete. Mainly aesthetics though. Nate
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It will keep dust down and make it much easier to clean when it does get dusty. If you like the concrete look, get a high solids sealer (not Thompsons water seal) from the building materials area of Lowe's or Home Depot (or Meynard probably) and it should seal your floor and make it look shiny.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You can get the high gloss Epoxy Finish without painting the floor. like good Sheriff said, it will give you the concrete look, but with a showroom shine.
      04-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

I was planning on sealing the concrete garage... my GC want to use an applied paint finnish

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It will keep dust down and make it much easier to clean when it does get dusty. If you like the concrete look, get a high solids sealer (not Thompsons water seal) from the building materials area of Lowe's or Home Depot (or Meynard probably) and it should seal your floor and make it look shiny.
Does the floor get slippery when it's wet? Seems like if it was shiney, it would be slick? Also, do fluid spills (oil, coolant, etc..) leave a film or do they clean up fairly easy? On a bare concrete floor I just soak up the excess with kitty litter and sweep it off so I never worry about it being slippery. I always love the way the finished floors look though, I just figured I would slip and bust my ass?:iono:

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Does the floor get slippery when it's wet? Seems like if it was shiney, it would be slick? Also, do fluid spills (oil, coolant, etc..) leave a film or do they clean up fairly easy? On a bare concrete floor I just soak up the excess with kitty litter and sweep it off so I never worry about it being slippery. I always love the way the finished floors look though, I just figured I would slip and bust my ass?:iono:

There is an anti-skid additive that is included with the high-gloss epoxy finish. I am definately putting it on. :smile:
      04-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Along with the anti-slip additive, I used the "flakes" and it seemed to help as well. I used the U-coat it also.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just an update. I painted the walls and ceiling today. I also scrubbed the floor tonight with TSP to get some fo the oil and dirt up before using the heavy concentrate tomorrow. I figured this will help the concentrate clean better if all the small stuff is gone. Tomorrow I will be cleaning with the concentrate in the morning and then applying the garage floor paint with epoxy and the paint chips in the afternoon. :smile:
      04-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #17
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Make sure hte floor is super dry when you apply the paint. A far or two to get the air moving in your garage would be a good idea. If you set them on opposite sides blowing down the walls in oppisite directions, you can get some swirl going and it will help in the corners.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will be using a squeegy and a fan to help it dry.
      04-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #19
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My garage is done!

Here is the final product of my garage renovation. I think it will be a nice home for the 135i. Enjoy!

Here is the garage before we started. There used to be these old nasty cabinets along the back wall. We ripped those down. You can tell by the untouched brown drywall. Yes the grage was also half painted by the last owners.

Here is the other wall to the right. I dont know what was up with the board going down the side of the wall. But we are taking it off. You can also see the unfinished green ceiling. Yuck.

Here are the walls after we patched the MANY holes in the walls and retaped some of the drywall.

Left wall

Right Wall

Back Wall

Here are the walls after they were Primered.

Here are the walls after they were painted. The ceiling is painted as well. You will notice the plastic on the walls and the garage floors are wet. WE had to scrub them with TSP and the concentrate floor cleaner that comes in the kit. Oh my back hurt after that.

Now that the floor has dried, it was time to apply the epoxy and the paint chips.

After the Epoxy dried for at least 24 hours, it was time to put on the showroom floor shine.

And why yes that is a 2006 GTO in the driveway. It has to wait for the floor to harden for 72 hours before it can go back inside.

Here is the garage fully completed. Waiting for the 135i to come home to its newly renovated bedroom.

A big difference from this.

So what do you guys think? I dont think its half bad for a do-it-yourselfer :smile:.
      04-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Looks a bazillion times better! The floor speckling looks great too! Great job! How much floor space is that, and what was the final tally on redoing the floor, including prep, TSP, materials, special tools, etc.. I would definitely consider this. My walls and ceiling are already nice, and I have four 8' two lamp HO florescent fixtures, so I'm taken care of, except for the flooring. Floor space is 24x26 for my garage. Yours might be close to that size...

Thanks!

Oh, please be sure to keep us posted on the floor's longevity over the next few months!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSierra View Post
There is an anti-skid additive that is included with the high-gloss epoxy finish. I am definately putting it on. :smile:
There's no anti-skid additive put on in my garage... and yes, I've busted my ass on it before.. :/
      04-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Looks a bazillion times better! The floor speckling looks great too! Great job! How much floor space is that, and what was the final tally on redoing the floor, including prep, TSP, materials, special tools, etc.. I would definitely consider this. My walls and ceiling are already nice, and I have four 8' two lamp HO florescent fixtures, so I'm taken care of, except for the flooring. Floor space is 24x26 for my garage. Yours might be close to that size...

Thanks!

Oh, please be sure to keep us posted on the floor's longevity over the next few months!!
My floor space came right in at 400 sq feet. The final tally on the floor itself was about $270 for both the epoxy with paint chips and the High gloss finish. Everything you need to do the floor is included in the floor kit. The tools you will need will be a paint roller and extension handle, roller brush, 3-5" paint brush, scrub brush, and a broom. I chose to do the TSP on my own. I figured I could scrub the floor with TSP before hand, that way I get most of the grease, dirt, and oil off before using the concrete etch and cleaner (included in the kit). This way I get it super clean. If the floor is not perfectly cleaned, the floor may come up. This is a challenge for any garage, and I was able to put a piece of duct tape on my floor, and when I peeled it up it was perfectly clean. The cost of the paint, spackle, and primer brought my grand total close to $370-$400.

Now Larryn, if your garage is 24'X26', you are looking at 624 sq ft. Each kit (both epoxy and high gloss) covers 250 sq ft (I had some left over). So you will need 3 kits of the epoxy and 3 kits of the high gloss. That will bring your total out to $384 @ $64 a piece. They used to sell a 2 1/2 car garage kit which cover more area. I have not seen it around lately, if you can find it, it will save you some money. I think it is $30 more per kit, but you will only need 2. The only other things you would need are the items mentioned above like the roller brushes, etc. The TSP is only a couple of bucks more and it is worth it. So maybe you are looking at $400. It took me 8 days including drying time. But I did the walls also. If you are only doing the floor, you are looking at about 4-6 days total (about 10 hours of actual work time spread out)depending on what you have to move out of your garage and air temperature for drying/hardening time, etc. The name of the kits I bought were the "Quikrete Epoxy Garage Floor Coating" and the "Quikcrete Premium Clear Epoxy Coating". They can also mix custom colors for you. They have a list of available colors you can choose from (just like paint colors). I bought my kits at Lowe's.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I will keep you posted on the wear and tear, and thanks for the nice comments.