E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > School and carrier advice..

06-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
RonJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

Question School and carrier advice..

I am thinking of quilting my decent job and going back to school...

I currently work for a small company that deals with automotive manufacturing plants. (we supply tooling and line automation equipment)

I am field service rep and pretty much work alone. I manage my own time, tasks and working hours. I get along superbly with my boss and coworkers but our customer are a pain the A$$. I've been doing this almost for 3 years and I don't want to make a living carrier out of. I know allot of ppl within the industry that once they get in they stay in cus the money is good and you have allot of perks; mileage, phone, expense account, laptop....

My plan is to back to school this year and get into any university program for 2 years and achieve above 80%. After two years I want to apply to university of western ontario's HBA program (Hnours Biz Admin.). Once accepted into the HBA program, I'll graduate with from one of the top B school in the country.

I am 25 now and have a 3 year electrical engineering technologist diploma. My education will only lead me into techy types of jobs, I want to expand my options and I firmly believe the HBA will accomplish that.

My company would pay for school if I get my engineering degree but I HATE it. 99% of the people I deal with with @ work are engineers and they got a pretty shit job.

If I don't do it now I am probably never going to cus my age, plus I really hate the idea of living like a starving student.

So I just need some encouragement to pull the trigger. I already have an offer of admission for Philosophy at a school thats 45 drive from home.

My gut feeling says go back now, but when I think it through its best to wait another year, which means I'll freaking 30 when I graduate!!!

Please help.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
"allot" is "a lot"

I do not mean to be picky, but you got it wrong twice...are you sure that an academic program is for you???

It sounds like you have a case of the "grass is greener" syndrome...it is time to learn the lesson...it isn't

Just my .04 (weak dollar now)...

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

i make great money....my house is almost paid in full....own a bmw and a porsche...and till this day.,.....my only regret in life....i didnt go back to school!!!....i always think....what if.....
im not saying school is the only answer or not the answer to success...i just regret not continuing my education.
not the most helpful post...but if i was to do it all over again.....my ass would be in class!!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
itsxtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nice

I think you have to ask yourself:
- If your current degree/experience is holding you back from excelling at your current job.
- If going back will really forward you, or will in a few years you just have an extra diploma, be in student loan debt and facing the same 'customers/clients suck' syndrome.
      06-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
"allot" is "a lot"

I do not mean to be picky, but you got it wrong twice...are you sure that an academic program is for you???

It sounds like you have a case of the "grass is greener" syndrome...it is time to learn the lesson...it isn't

Just my .04 (weak dollar now)...
Not to be finicky either, but it's "career" not "carrier".

You have to do what you feel is best for you. Sounds to me you're more scared of change than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
RonJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

Yikes I was looking for career advice, but spelling seems my issue!! lol

I am not the "grass is greener on the other side" type of person.

I just feel like my education has gotten me into one career path; designing, commissioning, repairing machines in a very demanding field...

If I get a business degree I can work within my industry but in a completely different capacity, or I can work in many different fields. I feel cornered right now in one path.

shiggy makes a good point, I have a pretty well paying job now, and I know the pay will increase but I just feel like I haven't reached my full potential by not getting my degree.

I know when I graduate I wont only have another diploma and be stuck with a student loan debt. I will make sure I get my ROE and then some. It took me 4 months to find my job when I last graduated, I was very very picky and it paid off, most of my classmates are doing really low tech run of the mill jobs. I don't easily settle for something just to get by...

Thanks for the advice so far.

PS. I ran this through spell check....lol
Appreciate 0