E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > An American Hero

04-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
i get fuckin pissed when people like this and other military men die....i dont know why but it angers me to tears. i hope his family is consoled by the fact that his selfless act saved 3 people.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #24
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Thanksfor defending our nation!
      04-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #25
L8Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

RIP. Another SEAL that you should read about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy

If you haven't read the book about operation Redwing, you should. Not much moves me but this first hand account of Marcus Lattrell did. The book is called Lone Survivor: Great Read. http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-.../dp/0316067598

video: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/211345...86372#19186372

One of the guys killed (Danny) in this operation went through BUDS with a buddy of mine. Hit pretty close to home. Danny & Marcus:

Matt Axelson:
      04-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Men like these sailors make me feel insignificant.

God Bless Them.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #27
theJanitor
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

every soldier that gets up everyday, puts on his boots, and puts his life on the line makes me feel insignificant.

And every parent or spouse that sends their loved ones off to war is as much the hero as anyone else.

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
~ John Wayne
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #28
theJanitor
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

ceremony at the white house today.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/08/seal.medal/index.html

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
~ John Wayne
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #29
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
It's because of soldiers like him that we can sit at our computers and debate over which wheels we like, which interior colors look the best, and other various meaningless subjects. All soldiers deserve our thanks and appreciation for what they do.
. that was exactly what i was just thinking
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #30
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Another Hero

Quote:
REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT

IN PRESENTATION OF THE MEDAL OF HONOR

POSTHUMOUSLY TO PRIVATE FIRST CLASS ROSS ANDREW MCGINNIS

East Room

9:50 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. Welcome to the White House.

A week ago on Memorial Day, the flag of the United States flew in half-staff in tribute to those who fell in service to our country. Today we pay special homage to one of those heroes: Private First Class Ross Andrew McGinnis of the U.S. Army. Private McGinnis died in a combat zone in Iraq on December the 4th, 2006 –- and for his heroism that day, he now receives the Medal of Honor.

The Medal of Honor is the nation's highest military distinction. It's given for valor beyond anything that duty could require, or a superior could command. By long tradition, it's presented by the President. For any President, doing so is a high privilege.

Before he entered our country's history, Ross McGinnis came of age in the town of Knox, Pennsylvania. Back home they remember a slender boy with a big heart and a carefree spirit. He was a regular guy. He loved playing basketball. He loved working on cars. He wasn't too wild about schoolwork. (Laughter.) He had a lot of friends and a great sense of humor. In high school and in the Army, Ross became known for his ability to do impersonations. A buddy from boot camp said that Ross was the only man there who could make the drill sergeant laugh. (Laughter.)

Most of all, those who knew Ross McGinnis recall him as a dependable friend and a really good guy. If Ross was your buddy and you needed help or you got in trouble, he'd stick with you and be the one you could count on. One of his friends told a reporter that Ross was the type "who would do anything for anybody."

That element of his character was to make all the difference when Ross McGinnis became a soldier in the Army. One afternoon 18 months ago, Private McGinnis was part of a humvee patrol in a neighborhood of Baghdad. From his position in the gun turret, he noticed a grenade thrown directly at the vehicle. In an instant, the grenade dropped through the gunner's hatch. He shouted a warning to the four men inside. Confined in that tiny space, the soldiers had no chance of escaping the explosion. Private McGinnis could have easily jumped from the humvee and saved himself. Instead he dropped inside, put himself against the grenade, and absorbed the blast with his own body.

By that split-second decision, Private McGinnis lost his own life, and he saved his comrades. One of them was Platoon Sergeant Cedric Thomas, who said this: "He had time to jump out of the truck. He chose not to. He's a hero. He was just an awesome guy." For his actions, Private McGinnis received the Silver Star, a posthumous promotion in rank, and a swift nomination for the Medal of Honor. But it wasn't acclaim or credit that motivated him. Ross's dad has said, "I know medals never crossed his mind. He was always about friendships and relationships. He just took that to the ultimate this time."

When Ross McGinnis was in kindergarten, the teacher asked him to draw a picture of what he wanted to be when he grew up. He drew a soldier. Today our nation recognizing — recognizes him as a soldier, and more than that –- because he did far more than his duty. In the words of one of our commanding generals, "Four men are alive because this soldier embodied our Army values and gave his life."

The citation and the rest of the President's comments can be found here.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #31
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Heroic, selfless acts define supreme character, and are the unmistakable marks of great human beings.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #32
Artkitekt
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Montego

Soldier or civilian, the world needs more selfless human beings like that. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #33
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

If you want to honor Lt. Murphy's name, do the crossfit workout "Murph". It's one of the Lt's favorite workouts he used to do wearing a flak vest. I'm always mindful of those who have fallen before us during the pain this one brings.

Quote:
"Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
Luttrell's book was moving. Best book I've read in 10yrs.

RIP. All the way, brother. Press the fight.

Quote:
let's move this to the politics section ASAP...
This ain't political. It's about honoring a fallen warrior. Seperate issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #34
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
These guys deserve the funeral of all funerals. Good to hear their being acknowledged.

It's been nearly 7 months since a friend of mine was killed in Iraq doing what he believed in. Not a day goes by he doesn't cross my mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #35
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Throwing yourself on a grenade to save the lives of others is not the act of a great warrior, necessarily. The people honored in this thread were great human beings. They, in a split second decision, gave their lives to save others.

They were great people, not great warriors (though I'm certain they fought valiantly).

They ended up dieing for their country, but really they died to save their friends. Anyone can become a soldier, but when the shit hit the fan, these guys made the supreme sacrifice, for their buddies.

They're an inspiration to me, to act more selfless, toward my friends, and everyone else around me.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #36
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Throwing yourself on a grenade to save the lives of others is not the act of a great warrior, necessarily.
Quote:
They were great people, not great warriors
By definition, they are warriors. By their selfless acts that saved others in the face of certain serious physical injury or death, they became great. Try telling those who were saved they aren't great warriors. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I reckon you are in a minority on this one. At least from a sheep-dog's perspective.
Appreciate 0