E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Son's "dingdong ditches" caught on camera

06-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #45
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

In with the camp of this being normal childlike behavior. Not sure expecting adolescent children to be civilized adults come without first learning the difference ala these exact types of events. I believe you handled correctly, your children behaved as multitudes have in the past. Have you asked the neighbor if he would remove it and gotten a response?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #46
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Agree that the neighbor should remove said video after the apology.

Disclaimer: If you like kids and don't like grouchy ass Mr. Wilson types, you most likely won't enjoy the following post. Remember, I trip children that run and hit people intentionally with my shopping cart in grocery stores for being idiots. You have been warned. I will not reply to any hate thrown my way for the following.

Had one of the neighbor kids get into the habit of doing this at my place a few years ago. The kid was doing it early in the morning around 6:00, when he would catch the school bus, then later in evening as well. I talked to the kids dad, it did no good whatsoever. He told me to prove it was his son....so I did just that. I went to the store and bought two large pitchers and blue dye. Filled the pitchers with water and the dye. Set both by the door. The next morning I set my alarm early. Watched the front of the house through the blinds in my oldest sons bedroom. Saw the little shit coming, waited at the door watching through the peep hole, unlocked the deadbolt and when he extended his finger to push my door bell; I swung the door open and doused his ass with blue water. His Pappa Smurf looking ass ran away crying. It was November and right before school. Never had another problem.
Appreciate 7
Esteban44474.50
M5Rick61285.50
cmyx6go15806.50
upstatedoc7568.50
TiMSport12808.50
jmack550.00
      06-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #47
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Ringing a front door bell and running off is an acceptable prank for school kids to have a laugh, it's when they keep doing it to the same house when a trap should be set to catch the menaces and so report it to their school through recognising the school jacket.
What's far worse is at Guy Fawkes time when lighted bangers are pushed through letter boxes.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00
      06-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #48
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post

Disclaimer: If you like kids and don't like grouchy ass Mr. Wilson types, you most likely won't enjoy the following post. Remember, I trip children that run and hit people intentionally with my shopping cart in grocery stores for being idiots. You have been warned. I will not reply to any hate thrown my way for the following.

Had one of the neighbor kids get into the habit of doing this at my place a few years ago. The kid was doing it early in the morning around 6:00, when he would catch the school bus, then later in evening as well. I talked to the kids dad, it did no good whatsoever. He told me to prove it was his son....so I did just that. I went to the store and bought two large pitchers and blue dye. Filled the pitchers with water and the dye. Set both by the door. The next morning I set my alarm early. Watched the front of the house through the blinds in my oldest sons bedroom. Saw the little shit coming, waited at the door watching through the peep hole, unlocked the deadbolt and when he extended his finger to push my door bell; I swung the door open and doused his ass with blue water. His Pappa Smurf looking ass ran away crying. It was November and right before school. Never had another problem.
"Poor little silly shy smurf."
(From a smurf song when my kids were little)
      06-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #49
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
its a silly prank, dont worry about it.
he wasnt caught stealing an amazon package or beating some1 up or vandalizing
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #50
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Now for the stupid thing my kid did and told me about much later since they were never caught. I have to give them lots of credit for this one since it was kind of funny and harmless at best.

Most of the people in our neighborhood have Comcast for TV. The kids noticed that when they walked around the neighborhood they could see into peoples homes and what they were watching on TV so one of kid got their Comcast remote. Then they would go up to people's houses at night and through the window were able to change the channels.

This entertained them for a while and they said the best part was when the channel changed the one the parents would either yell at the other spouse or the kid in the room for changing the channel and everyone denied doing anything.

Adults have to remember kids have nothing but time to think up things to entertain themselves when they are not busy doing other things.
Appreciate 3
overcoil3078.50
King Rudi13157.00
      06-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #51
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Now for the stupid thing my kid did and told me about much later since they were never caught. I have to give them lots of credit for this one since it was kind of funny and harmless at best.

Most of the people in our neighborhood have Comcast for TV. The kids noticed that when they walked around the neighborhood they could see into peoples homes and what they were watching on TV so one of kid got their Comcast remote. Then they would go up to people's houses at night and through the window were able to change the channels.

This entertained them for a while and they said the best part was when the channel changed the one the parents would either yell at the other spouse or the kid in the room for changing the channel and everyone denied doing anything.

Adults have to remember kids have nothing but time to think up things to entertain themselves when they are not busy doing other things.
This reminds me of something we would do. My friend got a watch with a built in universal remote once. So we would go to the mall and find all the TVs and mess with them.

I also remember one time my mom left me and my sister at home while she went to go do something. It was a 2 story home and there was a balcony in the front that faced the street. Well I decided to get some clothes and stuff them with shit and basically made a dummy. I use to be really into filmmaking when I was a kid so I had all kinds of crap around. Anyways as my mom drove up the drive way I had my sister pretend we were fighting or something on the balcony. At some point one I tossed the dummy over as to make it seem one of us fell off the balcony (can't remember who it was suppose to be). Anyways she almost had a heart attack. I had actually forgotten the prank and she reminded me about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #52
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Few years ago we got "booed" around Halloween. That's where a neighbor puts candy and stuff on your porch ring the doorbell and runs. Same son ran out the front door and yelled "come out and fight like a man!" Do you think he needs therapy?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #53
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
I'm grateful we didn't video tape dumb sh!t that we did as kids.. we went trick or beering at the local college in full Halloween gear around that time... I was like 16 and made out with college chicks.. the next year, we drove around egging sh!t and I broke a couple fingers by under estimating my follow through after tossing an egg... Then 2 years later, Jackass was on TV and my buddy lived with Ryan Dunn so we did even dumber sh!t. But i joined the union & started my apprentice program to be Merchant Marine so I was out to sea alot..
      06-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #54
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
So number two son had some friends over last night for an end-of-the-School year sleepover. They had a great time, I did some New York State legal fireworks in the backyard. They took off around 1030 to go walk around the neighborhood. Well they decided to dingdong ditch a few houses in the neighborhood. The house my son buzzed had a camera and the owner posted it on Facebook. Obviously not a federal offense. But I took issue with it because my son's face was posted on the Internet. I took my son to the neighbors house where he apologize profusely and the neighbor seemed like he excepted it. I am hoping they'll take the post down now. I certainly did a lot worse when I was his age. But my face was never posted on the Internet. I'm thinking it was kind of a dick move but it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Opinions? No old farts because I already know what your answer will be.

Not a dick move on the person wanting to post video of someone on his property especially during this time of social media. You and your son will have to live and learn for his mistakes. Hopefully you get what youre asking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #55
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Our neighbor boys rang the bell and hid, and we had camera footage, too. I sent it to their mom who apologized profusely as I laughed and told her no worries, let the kids play. They are good boys and a fun family. I wouldn’t even consider posting something like that to social media.

For the OP, if the video isn’t taken off social media, I suggest getting masks and costumes for your son, and maybe camera counter-measures. Piss the guy off for a bit.

It’s a prank. Nothing more. The time for adulting will come all too soon; meanwhile is there no fun left for kids? (My opinion is that this is where/how kids learn to bend rules, take risks, and think creatively, which are critical life skills).
Appreciate 2
lemetier2614.00
cmyx6go15806.50
      06-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #56
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Our neighbor boys rang the bell and hid, and we had camera footage, too. I sent it to their mom who apologized profusely as I laughed and told her no worries, let the kids play. They are good boys and a fun family. I wouldn't even consider posting something like that to social media.

For the OP, if the video isn't taken off social media, I suggest getting masks and costumes for your son, and maybe camera counter-measures. Piss the guy off for a bit.

It's a prank. Nothing more. The time for adulting will come all too soon; meanwhile is there no fun left for kids? (My opinion is that this is where/how kids learn to bend rules, take risks, and think creatively, which are critical life skills).
Well, I'm not going to ask him to take the pictures down. I think it was posted on the neighborhood watch website. I haven't been on it. I could always post pics of his wife sunbathing.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3523.50
cmyx6go15806.50
      06-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #57
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

upstatedoc Praise the lord you nipped this in the bud or next time they'll call the local tobacco shop and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can.

I won't go into details except our favorite high school prank involved stolen beer, a pickup truck, a base ball bat and unsuspecting mailboxes.
      06-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #58
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
upstatedoc Praise the lord you nipped this in the bud or next time they'll call the local tobacco shop and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can.

I won't go into details except our favorite high school prank involved stolen beer, a pickup truck, a base ball bat and unsuspecting mailboxes.

Reminds me of a movie I saw except I don't remember if the beer was stolen. And it took place in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #59
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Before apology: It's trespassing and the "search for Waldo".

After apology: Take the video down and quit being the creepy old man on the street.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #60
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
upstatedoc
You're the reason that the guy down the road from me while I was in high school replaced his smashed mailbox with an I-beam post and mailbox filled with cement.

Things..... did not end well the next time somebody tried to hit the mailbox with a baseball bat.
      06-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #61
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post

I call bullshit
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #62
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

There are so many personal home and CTV cameras, then add cell phone tracking.
Life was so simple back in the 60’s when I was a kid, it was all about being stealth.
My parents and my friends parents would allow us to sleep in the back yards when we were in elementary school, we always snuck off in the middle of the night and watched whatever crazy shit was going down on Friday and Saturday nights. Then came back and slept under the stars.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7568.50
Littlebear3511.50
      06-29-2021, 05:41 AM   #63
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

I think you are in NYS. Annoying bahavior or not, what if you lived in one of those "protect the castle" states?
Make sure the kid understands that the consequences could have been worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #64
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoidat69 View Post
I'm grateful we didn't video tape dumb sh!t that we did as kids.. we went trick or beering at the local college in full Halloween gear around that time... I was like 16 and made out with college chicks.. the next year, we drove around egging sh!t and I broke a couple fingers by under estimating my follow through after tossing an egg... Then 2 years later, Jackass was on TV and my buddy lived with Ryan Dunn so we did even dumber sh!t. But i joined the union & started my apprentice program to be Merchant Marine so I was out to sea alot..
I use to tell my kids this all the time, There are no pictures or video evidence of all the stupid things my friends and I did, except for the hospital incident. I also would tell them if any one would accuse me I had plausible deniability since my friends memories were far worse than mine. It was always fun to hear them tell a story, they would make it into the a big fish story and no one would every believe them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #65
Maestro
Major
Rep

Does anyone know what this is a picture of?

Well in a kids hands back in the day before cell phone let alone cordless phones this is was something you could us to listen in on people phone conversation without them knowing about it, if you knew how to use them.

Let say I had friend in high school who acquired one of these, it was same guy with the janitor keys. It would not be unusually to find him out at night in the local neighborhood, either climbing phone poles or lurking around someone's house connecting to phone lines going into homes. He specifically targets girls homes in the neighborhood who we went to school with. Not like anything changed today, but girls and phones back then were inseparable, so he would sit outside their homes and wait to hear the phone ring and hooked in. He would spend hours listening to all the gossip about who was doing what with whom and who like who and so one.

Well the fun would start over the next week at school as he leaked these pieces of information out in the lunch room and watch the pure shock on the girls faces as the tried to figure out how he knew all this stuff.

Unlike today where all of this information is preserved in the permanent record back then it was only in people's less than perfect memories. Everyone just denies it every happened moved on.

Appreciate 2
unluky7539.00
Skoidat69280.00
      06-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #66
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Well, would he have gotten the apology if he had not posted it online? If the answer is no, then (and you can only really answer this yourself) did you take your son there because you wanted him to apologize for the "transgression" or because you wanted the video taken down? If it was because you wanted the video taken down, was it really a sincere apology?

LOL - believe me - I did this a LOT when I was a kid, so I am throwing no stones. BUT I also got caught being a dick many times as a kid and I had to take my lumps too. My father like the "work off" method. I would have been sent down to rake their leaves, or mow their yard or scoop their snow etc. We didn't have the internet as a kid - but if we did - I would have preferred they leave my vid up as opposed to the hard labor! =)

It is what it is. A good lesson. We all had to learn them, so don't cheat your son out of learning one himself. Seriously - if I had known your son and saw that video on FB or something - I would have laughed my ass off. No one (under 80) is going to seriously judge your son for ditching when they all probably did it too.

#dontsweatthesmallstuff