E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Stock market tips and experiences

07-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #4335
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I know what hedging is, but selling options is the better way to do it since you could be collecting premium.
So for you selling a call is worth the risk because you collect the premium. That is moronic. Do not do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #4336
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL! So you've been hedging with TVIX for how many years? If you've even made any money, how much has "hedging with TVIX" set you back? Because there's no way you're actually not losing a considerable amount.
You don't know what hedging is...

Or rather, you don't know how to hedge or hedge properly.

Last edited by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn; 07-27-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #4337
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

So take me through you hedging a position.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #4338
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
LOL! So you've been hedging with TVIX for how many years? If you've even made any money, how much has "hedging with TVIX" set you back? Because there's no way you're actually not losing a considerable amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn View Post
So for you selling a call is worth the risk because you collect the premium. That is moronic. Do not do that.
Quote:
You don't know what hedging is...

Or rather, you don't know how to hedge or hedge properly.
Quote:
Quote:
Do you know what hedging is? Your statement is moot. Why would you wait until there is a spike in volatility to hedge volatility? That complete defeats the point! You'd be too late!
Quote:
I know what hedging is, but selling options is the better way to do it since you could be collecting premium.

1. People can write a(n) "lotto/AU" options, and make some small amount of income.

2. ^VIX (TVIX, VXX and variants) are freaking measurement of fear. People get confused with bear indexes. It maybe proportional, but not the same. I've seen VIX rising on a bullish days.
It is like calling Linear Algebra same sh1t as College/Business Algebra.

3. I am sure F1venom knows what hedging and property of it is. He is an investor.

Hedging is basically a "damping" (phys term) or scalar multiplication (in complex variables)of an function. In this case, it is for portfolio. I try not to use econ/fnce terms (although I studied it), because tons of wanna be or uneducated CFA w/3 with lack of math skills over used the terms.

EX
-I bought a stupid house, because I am going to hedge against rising rent.
-I bought a Au, Pt, and Ag, because I want to hedge against the worthless falling currency (of your choice).
-I bought/sold PUT/CALL, because I want to hedge against falling/rising.

4. IF you buy a TVIX, you are basically you are BETTING on the volatility and fear of ^GSPC risk multiple of 2x beta.
True hedging against S&P500 index [fund] would be sh1t like SH, SDS,SPXS.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #4339
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will expand upon my previous example of hedging a portfolio.

In this portfolio we want to hedge against market/systematic risk. That is risk of overall markets selling off (i.e. not company specific like poor earnings being released). In this example we want to be relatively market neutral for a short period of time because we think there might be an event or catalyst that will cause the market to sell off in the next few days (like a declaration of war or some shock to the system). Let's say our portfolio is made up 20 different stocks across multiple industries. Now we could put a temporary hedge on by using SPY puts or even single stock options, but I think it'd be better to diversify AND hedge at the same time. As I mentioned before volatility is mean reverting. It has been so low for so long that the chance of a sharp spike in volatility is greater. We could use TVIX, UVXY, etc etc. So for this example let's say we buy some TVIX. Without writing an essay, let's just assume that it does in fact give you a 2x directional result (it actually doesn't for multiple reasons).

So now we have a portfolio that is hedged due to our perception that there will be increased volatility in the very near future. Let's fast forward a few days. Let's say the Fed announced that they will immediately stop QE and will raise rates. Granted this is a bit extreme, but it helps explain it easier. Markets begin to sell off. Our 20 stocks are falling, but our TVIX position is flying. Our 20 stocks may lose a massive amount, but it is offset by our leveraged position in TVIX.

Now let's go back and say nothing happens and our assumption was incorrect. We close out our TVIX position and gladly eat the loss. We bought a short term insurance policy against volatility and thankfully we didn't have to use it. The same could be said if the market flew higher (albeit we'd have to eat a bigger loss) but the rise in our 20 stocks helps offset our losing TVIX position.

Now I made some assumptions to help prove the point, but this is essentially how someone who is buying TVIX right now may be thinking. This is also really for people who actively monitor/trade. The average investor has no business playing with leveraged ETPs.

Last edited by nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn; 07-27-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #4340
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
1. People can write a(n) "lotto/AU" options, and make some small amount of income.

2. ^VIX (TVIX, VXX and variants) are freaking measurement of fear. People get confused with bear indexes. It maybe proportional, but not the same. I've seen VIX rising on a bullish days.
It is like calling Linear Algebra same sh1t as College/Business Algebra.

3. I am sure F1venom knows what hedging and property of it is. He is an investor.

Hedging is basically a "damping" (phys term) or scalar multiplication (in complex variables)of an function. In this case, it is for portfolio. I try not to use econ/fnce terms (although I studied it), because tons of wanna be or uneducated CFA w/3 with lack of math skills over used the terms.

EX
-I bought a stupid house, because I am going to hedge against rising rent.
-I bought a Au, Pt, and Ag, because I want to hedge against the worthless falling currency (of your choice).
-I bought/sold PUT/CALL, because I want to hedge against falling/rising.

4. IF you buy a TVIX, you are basically you are BETTING on the volatility and fear of ^GSPC risk multiple of 2x beta.
True hedging against S&P500 index [fund] would be sh1t like SH, SDS,SPXS.
In English, please?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #4341
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In English, please?

I think I used the financial terms, financial slangs, physics terms which used in freaking Highschool.
I will do my best to explain stuff like I am a Middle school teacher teaching kids.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #4342
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/10/tech...&iid=obnetwork

Thoughts on Alcatel-Lucent (ALU)?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #4343
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

TWITTER UP\
After Hours : 51.20 Up 12.61 (32.68%) 4:36PM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #4344
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom
Thanks to Mact, I learned a bit about volume and price. Using that knowledge, it seems to me that TWTR is a good buy at these levels. I won't enter long until it breaks above and holds $42, but on a 4-hour time frame it looks great for the $60s. There is also positive divergence with respect to MACD and price.
Twtr up over 33% in AHT. Damn it's nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #4345
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am not a momentum trader who specificity see TA which favors momentum. I will be selling all my TWTR position tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #4346
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Guys, thoughts on trading GPRO earnings this thursday?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #4347
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alex View Post
Guys, thoughts on trading GPRO earnings this thursday?
GPRO already having an earnings? wow.

I am off on earnings estimate. Numbers I predicted fairly correct by infusing # into the balance/income, but I think investors are getting less greedy. I am predicting earnings # right, but direction of price wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #4348
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Ah im torn between buying GPRO before earnings or after on a dip.

Not 100% confident in their earnings release
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #4349
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah im torn between buying GPRO before earnings or after on a dip.

Not 100% confident in their earnings release
Every earnings season, I have a same problem. Seems like most of momentum stocks are having a good earnings. Panera Bread gain is a surprise on a bad earnings.

If you really don't want to miss an opportunity , maybe buy 100sr or less?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4350
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Every earnings season, I have a same problem. Seems like most of momentum stocks are having a good earnings. Panera Bread gain is a surprise on a bad earnings.

If you really don't want to miss an opportunity , maybe buy 100sr or less?
Hmm, yeah thinking about adding about half of my intended position and if it drops adding more into that dip.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #4351
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, yeah thinking about adding about half of my intended position and if it drops adding more into that dip.

I am watching GPRO after some crazy IPO run.
Did GPRO say they will diversify their business pipeline beyond selling camera?
I would love to know. If they continue to only sell camera and supplemental services, I don't think I would be interested.

I bought some (Very little srs of) Pandora today. I don't even listen to music on the phone.
(Heck, I dont even Tweet, and had Twitter for 2mo).
I think 27.50 would be an decent target price to exit WITHOUT any good/bad news.

I still couldn't pull the trigger on AMD, but I will most likely to buy some AMD within 3-5days.

El Pollo Loco is another one I am interested in. El Pollo Loco was one of my favorite chicken place in S.CA. I haven't had El Pollo Loco since 2004.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #4352
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am watching GPRO after some crazy IPO run.
Did GPRO say they will diversify their business pipeline beyond selling camera?
I would love to know. If they continue to only sell camera and supplemental services, I don't think I would be interested.

I bought some (Very little srs of) Pandora today. I don't even listen to music on the phone.
(Heck, I dont even Tweet, and had Twitter for 2mo).
I think 27.50 would be an decent target price to exit WITHOUT any good/bad news.

I still couldn't pull the trigger on AMD, but I will most likely to buy some AMD within 3-5days.

El Pollo Loco is another one I am interested in. El Pollo Loco was one of my favorite chicken place in S.CA. I haven't had El Pollo Loco since 2004.
Based on what I have read, GPRO is being considered (unofficially?) as a media company by certain analysts. I do think that they plan to expand their business in a way that will make them more than just a hardware/camera company.

Also, it would be interesting to see how GPRO's publicity and growth will affect AMBA which has a relationship with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #4353
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

I just really do not want to miss out on the potential upside of GPRO. Growth seems pretty good and they are getting alot more publicity (also sponsoring alot of athletes.)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #4354
F1Venom
Banned
Rep

I still can't get over not being in TWTR right now when its setup was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #4355
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still can't get over not being in TWTR right now when its setup was perfect.
How about Pandora?
I don't think it will move higher than the prem of options + out of money, but I think it will pop to quick 27.50ish. I grabbed some shares today.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #4356
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

This thread is all speculation.. where's the TA..
Appreciate 0