E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Dealers shipping from dealers

04-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Dealers shipping from dealers

General car purchase question - for new cars, is it common for dealers to work with you on shipping a new car from say another dealer across the US? I would assume its highly in their favor to do that as long as I pay the shipping expense. How does this process work? If I like my local dealer, should I try to work with them to do this or go straight to the out-of-state dealer and have them ship it to me directly? Is it common for cars of any expense to get dinged up during the transportation? Figured I'll have a better rapport with my local dealer for future expenses/maintenance if I go through them.
Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Dealers trade with each other often. If your dealer can find the car you want in someone's inventory they'll attempt to get it for you. Your dealer's job is to find and get the car you want and make a sale. They can search their regional database and get what's in your regional sales area. If it's outside the region, then it's up to the dealer if they are willing to locate a car for you (it all depends on what's in it for them.)

You don't have to pay any shipping within your regional sales area. But depending on where the other dealership is located, the car may be driven to your dealership or flat bedded. Your dealer will tell you the mode of delivery and you can either expect some extra mileage on it or not.

Sure, damage can happen. And it can happen on cars already on the floor inventory. There is a certain % of the MSRP that a dealer or the VPC (where the car is delivered for prep after it comes off the boat) can fix without having to tell the customer. The VPC is where things are normally repaired (damage in shipping) but if it happens at the dealership, then they will fix it or more likely contract it out.

When you buy a new car you need to go over it carefully with the salesperson before you take it home. Things you notice later are harder to settle after delivery.

As far as having a "better rapport" later on, that depends on the dealer and how they treat their customers in general. The service department is the cash cow for any dealership and they welcome all customers whether they purchased from them or not. But you may find 'extra' treatment for any issues outside of basic service at the very beginning (like minor things not working or rattles, etc..) Or helping on basic questions about the car, etc.. Plus they may be more generous with service loaner cars if you bought from them originally.

If you want a car from across the country then work with that dealer (the originating dealer) to get it to you. You will have to negotiate shipping and do the paperwork so that you can do the tax and licensing at your DMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Very helpful information, sticky. Thanks!

Anyone else opinions?
Appreciate 0