E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Pictures of your house thread

08-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #221
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
You'll have to report back what you think about it once you're done with the coating. (Oh, and don't forget the anti-slip additive.)

The construction manager recommended putting a bit of sand down in the control joints of the floor, then filling the joint with Sikaflex self-leveling sealant.

Any plans for the driveway? We're new to Colorado - is there anything that can be done to help with snow/ice removal for a north-facing driveway? Sealing strikes me as a way to make it so slippery when wet that it'll be undriveable, but we've heard that the cold stuff won't melt away like on a south-facing driveway that gets sunlight. (And do they use salt here that we need to worry about?)
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I'll probably post a before and after pic here too. And the epoxy clear coatings come with the anti-skid, so I'll definitely include that. It would be embarrassing to bust my ass in my own garage!

Maybe we should use the Rustoleum NeverWet on the driveway! Not sure how well that would work. I've lived in CO a long time and never really had too much issue with the driveway. Most snows we get melt off the next day or so. Occasionally requires some shoveling.

They do put salt with mag chloride on the roads sometimes. I usually just make sure to wash my car as soon as possible after a big snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #222
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMCOOKIES335... View Post
wtf lol?
i was fuckin witchya.

nice house dude....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #223
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i was fuckin witchya.

nice house dude....
Obviously ... (shifty eyes)

OT... no shifty eye emoticon? wtf?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #224
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Still haven't decided on what to do with the garage floor. I mostly want to eliminate dusting, and prevent stains if I spill anything during an oil change or brake fluid flush. Sounds like ALL coatings, even professionally applied epoxy, are likely to come up after a few years. The floor will likely do some settling in the next few years, so putting tile down right away will probably result in broken tiles.
I'm thinking of doing a penetrating silicone based sealer to help with dust and water, and just using lots of cardboard to catch spills when I'm doing work.

Any anecdotes about garage floor treatments that are at least 5 or 10 years old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
I'm about to seal the floor on my new garage too. I decided to go with the Rustoleum epoxy clear coating with the stain. I've heard the stories about the colored sealant peeling up after a while and being very noticeable. So I chose the charcoal stain and clear instead. I figure if it does peel up in spots, it will be less noticeable and I can just add more clear epoxy to patch it.

I used the Rustoleum epoxy with the decorative chips at a previous place, and it did start to peel up after a couple of years. I believe the key is applying that clear coat sealant once all the epoxy has cured. It's an optional step, and the sealant was not included in the kit. I'm still debating on what I want to do with the garage floor at my current place.

Nice looking houses guys. Patrick719, my first thought when I saw your house was that it looks just like my friend's place in Castle Rock, then I realized that is where you are as well. Most likely the same builder.
      08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #225
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I used the Rustoleum epoxy with the decorative chips at a previous place, and it did start to peel up after a couple of years. I believe the key is applying that clear coat sealant once all the epoxy has cured. It's an optional step, and the sealant was not included in the kit. I'm still debating on what I want to do with the garage floor at my current place.
For what it's worth, I just went looking through Rustoleum's website - both their epoxy and their clear coat (called Rust-Oleum® EpoxyShield® Low VOC Premium Clear Coating) are listed as "amine cured epoxy". And they cost exactly the same, so I suspect you can get the same effect by simply doing two coats of the colored stuff if you'd prefer. I'm not sure that'll make it any more resistant to flaking.

There's so many different options, it makes my head spin. Penetrating silicone, top-coat acrylic, polyurethane and epoxy... Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Although thinking about the clear epoxy product - sure, it'll likely come up eventually, but with it being clear Patrick719 brings up a good point that it'll be easy to do spot repairs and have it blend in well.

Quote:
Nice looking houses guys. Patrick719, my first thought when I saw your house was that it looks just like my friend's place in Castle Rock, then I realized that is where you are as well. Most likely the same builder.
It's kind of a generic "Colorado in the beginning of the 21st century" style. At first I thought Patrick719's builder is the same as mine, but the sign out front is different. I wonder if it'll look dated or generic in 20 or 50 years? I'll see if I can find pictures of our Dallas house we sold a few months ago. Very different in many ways.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #226
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
LOL, no, not in the budget. I was thinking, ultimately, of 12x12 rectified porcelain if I could find enough on clearance sale somewhere for under $1/sqft.
You don't really need rectified. Unless you're going to mud set it and install it dead nuts level you're still going to use grout. Whatever kind of grout you use, make it black. It'll be that way soon anyway. Be sure to check the specs on the thinset you use to ensure it's PSI rating.

We have recently done a few car dealerships. If you want something that won't flake up and is super durable, look into terrazzo. You can find it relatively cheap these days. You can have it poured pretty thin these days and run it up the wall about 4" and make your garage floor watertight. It's a forever floor. Having it polished and sealed is a good option as well. Any floor that will last more than a few years is expensive compared to the DIY applications.
      08-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #227
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You don't really need rectified. Unless you're going to mud set it and install it dead nuts level you're still going to use grout. Whatever kind of grout you use, make it black. It'll be that way soon anyway. Be sure to check the specs on the thinset you use to ensure it's PSI rating.
I'd read that rectified is good to minimize (eg, 1/16") the grout lines so there's not quite as much dirty black showing.

Quote:
We have recently done a few car dealerships. If you want something that won't flake up and is super durable, look into terrazzo. You can find it relatively cheap these days. You can have it poured pretty thin these days and run it up the wall about 4" and make your garage floor watertight. It's a forever floor. Having it polished and sealed is a good option as well. Any floor that will last more than a few years is expensive compared to the DIY applications.
Thanks, I never even considered terrazzo. But how cheap is "relatively cheap"? At $10 to $20 per sqft that a quick search yielded, that's beyond what I'm willing to spend. $1 to $3/sq ft is more what I'm looking for. This is just a personal garage that I'd like to maintain as a relatively clean work area, not a showroom for making money. Besides, as you say, it'll still need sealing just like a regular concrete floor, since the binder is often (always?) concrete, so I'm back to the start of my dilemma.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing it myself, whatever I decide on - and just have to deal with the fact that I'll have to retouch in spots every few years. I know that "you get what you pay for" but I'm not looking to get much - just low dust, easy cleanability, and no short-term unsightly failures. (Hmm, okay, maybe that's a lot to ask for after all. )
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #228
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
For what it's worth, I just went looking through Rustoleum's website - both their epoxy and their clear coat (called Rust-Oleum® EpoxyShield® Low VOC Premium Clear Coating) are listed as "amine cured epoxy". And they cost exactly the same, so I suspect you can get the same effect by simply doing two coats of the colored stuff if you'd prefer. I'm not sure that'll make it any more resistant to flaking.

There's so many different options, it makes my head spin. Penetrating silicone, top-coat acrylic, polyurethane and epoxy... Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Although thinking about the clear epoxy product - sure, it'll likely come up eventually, but with it being clear Patrick719 brings up a good point that it'll be easy to do spot repairs and have it blend in well.
Another option is having the concrete polished, however that can get quite expensive. I am liking the idea of the clear epoxy and will have to look into that.

Quote:
It's kind of a generic "Colorado in the beginning of the 21st century" style. At first I thought Patrick719's builder is the same as mine, but the sign out front is different. I wonder if it'll look dated or generic in 20 or 50 years? I'll see if I can find pictures of our Dallas house we sold a few months ago. Very different in many ways.
So true. When I saw the picture of your place, I thought it looked just like a new Colorado suburban house. Sure enough it was. These places have a "craftsman" style to them which I think will age gracefully.
      08-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #229
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd read that rectified is good to minimize (eg, 1/16") the grout lines so there's not quite as much dirty black showing.

Thanks, I never even considered terrazzo. But how cheap is "relatively cheap"? At $10 to $20 per sqft that a quick search yielded, that's beyond what I'm willing to spend. $1 to $3/sq ft is more what I'm looking for. This is just a personal garage that I'd like to maintain as a relatively clean work area, not a showroom for making money. Besides, as you say, it'll still need sealing just like a regular concrete floor, since the binder is often (always?) concrete, so I'm back to the start of my dilemma.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing it myself, whatever I decide on - and just have to deal with the fact that I'll have to retouch in spots every few years. I know that "you get what you pay for" but I'm not looking to get much - just low dust, easy cleanability, and no short-term unsightly failures. (Hmm, okay, maybe that's a lot to ask for after all. )
Ok, so it's cheap relative to the longevity, performance and durability you'll get from it.

I was talking about just having the concrete polished and sealed.

I have the same dilemma, i want a nice garage floor but, it's a garage floor and i don't want to spend time and money on something that is going to look like crap in a year or two. So i would want to do something that would last a long time, but those options are all expensive. Especially since i've got 1500 or so square feet of garage floor to cover. So, it's just bare concrete.

I do have some nice cushioned anti-fatigue carpet in front of the work bench.
      08-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #230
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

here is my POS starter house - sorry, it's the only one I got.

4bdr (all upstairs), 2300sqft.

I hate it because of the layout, but in about 6 or 7 years I plan on getting another one.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #231
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

oh god - I found pictures of it the day we got our keys HAHA !!!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #232
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

^ man that's not a bad house
      08-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #233
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
^ man that's not a bad house
it's not "bad", it's just boring.

cheap home builder - cheap house.

my next house will be much classier - columns, wood floors, door entrances, bigger yard, better lighting fixtures, etc.....

only paid $137K for it...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #234
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Quote:

my next house will be much classier - columns, wood floors, door entrances, bigger yard, better lighting fixtures, etc.....

I know how you feel. The first home I bought was a townhouse, not that there was anything wrong with it, but it just felt boring. After the second year in the townhouse, I set a goal to pay it off as fast as possible, to save money, and to build a better house. It has been five years since I paid it off. You will get there with lots of patience and a goal. BTW Your home looks better than my townhouse did. Thats a great looking starter home.
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 08-06-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #235
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Found some pics of the house in Dallas we sold earlier this year. I don't think it's the smallest in this thread, but it isn't big. 1300 sq ft!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #236
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

^^^^ gorgeous floors.

i'd like my house a thousand times over if I could get flooring like that.....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #237
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
oh god - I found pictures of it the day we got our keys HAHA !!!!!
and you've managed to have us see the backside of your wife again. Well played sir, well played.
      08-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #238
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Nice homes guys. In la for 1.5m you get a nice condo LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #239
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
and you've managed to have us see the backside of your wife again. Well played sir, well played.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #240
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I didn't even notice there was a house there for a few minutes. Looks like Litos has a nice backyard to play in. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #241
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's a sweet first house. Will make a great rental when you're done with it. You'll like it a lot more when it's making you money!

That's what we did with our first house. It was cheap, we paid it off in under 10 years, now it's producing close to $14k a year after insurance and property taxes. Since it's paid off it was easy to get a $75,000 credit line secured by the house. Just about ready to use that money to purchase 2 more rentals.

So don't go hating on your house!
      08-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #242
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Looks like Litos has a nice backyard to play in. Nice.
tried it - she won't ever let me do it again.

#girthproblems
Appreciate 0