E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Question about websites/file server

02-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Red face Question about websites/file server

I am very good with computers but I am a total noob when it comes to websites. I currently have two domains that are hosted with godaddy. I have 150 gigs of storage on my hosting and would like to take advantage of that.
Can someone please tell me how I can make a file server? For example if my website is abc.com I would like to be able to go to abc.com/uploads and have a directory of folders and files to download. If someone could tell me how to do that I would greatly appreciate it.

* Quick summary, I want to be able to upload files through an ftp onto one of my hosting websites then be able to go to abc.com/uploads. I asked godaddy about this and the guy on the phone said I can’t do that with their hosting but I don’t see why not. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
With their hosting just create a directory 'uploads' in public_html. Then make that directory protected so you have to enter a password when going on there. Then just FTP those files to that directory. For this I often setup a sub-domain, which should be free but not always with each hosting plan. For example for my upload directory it would be:

uploads.austingrade.com
rather than
austingrade.com/uploads.

You just have the root of subdomain be the directory.

I think this is what your asking, let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you, I will try it out tonight and let you know if it worked ok.
Appreciate 0