E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2012 335i purchase

01-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
husky33
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

2012 335i purchase

Hi all. So i am looking at purchasing a n55 era 335i. The one i am currently working on is here: http://www.platinumautos.com/detail-...-18448719.html

We're looking at a 2012 335i with 64K on the odo. I have talked with the seller and he is a cosignment based dealership. The most recent owner is a Microsoft employee and from the carfax all work except two entries on the service history was done at the dealership. I checked production date on this one and i know it is just prior to the updated water pump for the n55s. So i am aware about that potential however i wouldn't be surprised if it was already replaced. Otherwise, the mileage is a bit higher than i was initially looking for but for my desired features (m sport, idrive) and price point i think this could be a good find. I know the hpfp and solenoids are also among the more common problems. I would love any advice on what people think of this car. I'm pretty psyched about it but i've only ever had one non-bmw and am prepared to back out if needed. And of course i'll be getting a pre purchase inspection before i travel to get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

Looks like a nice vehicle, I would try to get service records if available and look through those, also see if you are able to get any service/recall history from BMW . You can check if any recalls are available that have not been done by going to BMW site and typing in VIN somewhere on there.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

Check the service history before buying. Hopefully most of the major issues were repaired by then. You should visually inspect under the hood for oil leaks and start the car to hear for any unusual noises. I also have a 2012 BMW N55 E92 with a 02/2012 production date. I got the car a little over 4 years ago with 30k miles and its at 55k miles right now. I've already replaced VC, VCG, HPFP, water pump & tstat, oil pan gasket, 2 pipings on intake side due to those parts going bad (all of those parts went bad within maybe 2000 miles so basically repairs after repairs) I've done transmission service, brake fluid/power steering flush as preventive maintenance and replaced the MAF, TMap sensors, plugs and coils. OFHG and coolant reservoir was replaced under warranty around 30k miles.

So overall, if the service history doesn't have some of the major parts replaced or repaired. Just expect for the issues to happen after getting the car. Also, I've been Stage 2+ tuned for 25k miles on crappy 91ACN so that might be related to parts going bad early. Other than that, it's a nice and fun money pit car. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
husky33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
Check the service history before buying. Hopefully most of the major issues were repaired by then. You should visually inspect under the hood for oil leaks and start the car to hear for any unusual noises. I also have a 2012 BMW N55 E92 with a 02/2012 production date. I got the car a little over 4 years ago with 30k miles and its at 55k miles right now. I've already replaced VC, VCG, HPFP, water pump & tstat, oil pan gasket, 2 pipings on intake side due to those parts going bad (all of those parts went bad within maybe 2000 miles so basically repairs after repairs) I've done transmission service, brake fluid/power steering flush as preventive maintenance and replaced the MAF, TMap sensors, plugs and coils. OFHG and coolant reservoir was replaced under warranty around 30k miles.

So overall, if the service history doesn't have some of the major parts replaced or repaired. Just expect for the issues to happen after getting the car. Also, I've been Stage 2+ tuned for 25k miles on crappy 91ACN so that might be related to parts going bad early. Other than that, it's a nice and fun money pit car. Enjoy!
Thanks! I was able to check the service history via the carfax and then It's out of state from me so i'll definitely be setting up the pre purchase inspection with a well rated bmw shop. The service on the carfax showed pretty much all dealership maintenance but didn't really list the parts that were replaced. I tried calling a local dealership to see if they'd run the VIN for me and they wouldn't. Out of curiosity what your total cost for the 4 years? The service history is solid for oil changes and such but i'll definitely be increasing the frequency of those if i get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'd check and see if I could find the owner, and buy directly. I did this once, accidentally, and ended up saving $3000.

If you do, open up a separate account and put all money saved from the purchase into it, for use if/when something breaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
husky33
Rep

Wow, that's a heck of an idea. The dealer i'm working through actually uses a consignment system. So he has been able to talk back and forth with owners a little bit. Unfortunately it's had 3 owners so if there were some things replaced the current ones may not know.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky33 View Post
Thanks! I was able to check the service history via the carfax and then It's out of state from me so i'll definitely be setting up the pre purchase inspection with a well rated bmw shop. The service on the carfax showed pretty much all dealership maintenance but didn't really list the parts that were replaced. I tried calling a local dealership to see if they'd run the VIN for me and they wouldn't. Out of curiosity what your total cost for the 4 years? The service history is solid for oil changes and such but i'll definitely be increasing the frequency of those if i get it.
I'd estimate that I've spent -+5k total. Forgot to mention that I also replaced the battery too.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
husky33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
I'd estimate that I've spent -+5k total. Forgot to mention that I also replaced the battery too.
Ah nice, I think i could be ok with 5K in 4 years haha, not too bad numbers wise. Of course now i've got myself torn because i found another, 2011 only 50K miles, xdrive (helps since i'm in CO), and a tad cheaper but that one is in CT so i'd have to get a dealer transfer somehow. It's also definitely not as pretty haha
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky33 View Post
Wow, that's a heck of an idea. The dealer i'm working through actually uses a consignment system. So he has been able to talk back and forth with owners a little bit. Unfortunately it's had 3 owners so if there were some things replaced the current ones may not know.
Like I said, for me it was accidental and only because the owner also listed it on Craigslist. I actually saw/test drove it at the consignment dealer first, then it popped up on Craigslist that same night. The difference in price between the owner and the dealer was $2500, and then I was able to negotiate the price with the owner for another $500.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Its a beautiful car. Do it, and take your chances.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
husky33
Rep

^^ right now that's the game plan! Pre purchase inspection is Wednesday and I already tracked down a set of snow tires from a 2011 335 owner who just sold his
Appreciate 0