BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
lornaj
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Smile 1 Series Coupe - diesel - refuelling problems

I have a Nov 2007 registered 120d coupe. Since I have had the car I noticed that I was having difficulties when I attempted to refill the fuel tank with diesel. The diesel pump would keep clicking as if the tank was full when it was not. I assumed this was the diesel pump but after six months realised I was kidding myself.

I took my car to BMW dealer and apparently this "issue" affects a number of models. They spoke to the technical division at BMW and "fixed" the problem with their BMW approved fix.

I now no longer have problems with filling my tank with diesel. Instead the hole into which the diesel pump is inserted is smaller and as a consequence it does not allow the pump sufficient time to realise the tank is full, so you end up with a full tank but also diesel everywhere else - shoes, clothes etc...

When I explained the problem to BMW they did not believe me, so I took the car back and their engineer filled it up and he got covered in diesel in the process!!! They have been back to BMW technical, who have asked them to try the fix on another car.

So it seems that my car has been a guinea pig for this "fix" which does not work.

Does anyone else have this problem? have had it resoved etc.. or know anymore about the issue? I am not finding my dealer very knowledgeable or helpful.

Thanks Lorna
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Very annoying. I don't have my coupe yet so can't comment on BMW filling. But I often find with other cars that not having the nozzle all the way into the filler pipe helps with this issue where the pump keeps stopping. But you've probably tried that already. Certainly I've never been covered in diesel!
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Good luck and I hope they get it resolved for you. That is very annoying ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
lornaj
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Smile

Thanks for your note - I actually cannot get the fuel pump more than 1 inch into the tank itself, because the BMW fix has made it too small!!

I know the previous problem that I had, in terms of not being able to fill up the tank, is more than just an issue on my vehicle. My friend has a 123d March 2008 and she has the same problem. Although given my experience she is not going to have it "fixed" until mine is sorted!!

I have been waiting for BMW to call me back for 4.5hrs now - I think they are avoiding me!!! It's a good job it is a company car, if I had bought it with my hard earned cash then I would be going nuts by now!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Hope mine doesn't have this problem when it arrives.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
lornaj
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Smile

I am sure that your car will not have this problem as BMW have apparently recitified the issue for later models. Unfortunately, my car was one of the first registered in the UK - I did not think there would be any issues with my car, as I had had a 1 series hatchback for three years prior to this car with no problems at all!!
Thanks
Lorna
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
F0Bman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW here in the states is always very good with service issues on their cars.
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I wish I had the problem here in the U.S. becuase it means I could actually purchase a diesel coupe if I wanted to. Instead, I had to go with a Jetta TDI.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
i was having the same problem with the pump clicking (acting like it was full when it wasnt) but everytime i held the handle on the pump this happened...so now i just pull the trigger and lock it open and let it go...then everything works perfect......it seems that the pump and "fuel receptacle" fit perfect so that you must not hold the trigger while you pump....but im in germany....my guess is if you have to hold the trigger do not hold it high let it rest down... i had the same thing happen to me in both my cars
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
doctor bob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118 coupe

I'm having the same issues on my 2013 118 coupe & it appears to be getting worse, local dealer denies knowledge of any such issues.
Does anyone know of a fix ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
doctor bob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118 coupe

Ongoing 1 Series refuelling issues.

That'll be a no then !!
Appreciate 0