E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Creatine... To load, or not to load..

07-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Creatine... To load, or not to load..

Can some of you guys, who are a lot better informed than I am, give me your opinions on whether I should do a loading phase?

I took creatine about 5 years ago.. I believe I did a loading phase back then. Is it extremely important? Can I just do a pre and post workout regiment?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
I'm doing a 20g/day loading phase, but have read that it really isn't necessary to achieve saturation in the muscles. 20g/day for a week isn't harmful, so I don't see what the negatives would be.
      07-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

I've read and heard conflicting things about creatine use, as well as the actual benefits of taking it. If you do take, it, at least make sure to drink plenty of water to lessen the strain on the kidneys.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

If you train HARD, you need to load. If you don't, you don't need to.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

I train very hard 3 days a week in the gym and the other 4 days I do light cardio and lots of push ups.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
I train very hard 3 days a week in the gym and the other 4 days I do light cardio and lots of push ups.
I don't think you need to load. Your training frequency and volume likely doesn't warrant it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Drink lots of water.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 AW/SO

i wouldnt load, your only working out 3 days a week. You cant even cover all body parts in 3 days. Why do you even want to take creatine in the first place?
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Do not load, it's just not necessary.

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Alpine View Post
i wouldnt load, your only working out 3 days a week. You cant even cover all body parts in 3 days. Why do you even want to take creatine in the first place?
Chest + Tri

Bi + back

Legs + Shoulders

Everyday in between is push ups and some cardio. I am trying to put on weight/tighten up mid section. I have already put on like 20 pounds in last 4-5 months. Kinda hit a wall at 160-63. I don't have time to work out 5 days a week otherwise I would. I drink a ton of water already.

So I should use it pre and post work out and leave it at that?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I would just take it post workout. If you looking for something that's good to take before you lift that has creatine in it try jack3d by usp labs. Great product and it's cheap. If you have more time I would try splitting up your leg and shoulders into two seperate days. Legs is big muscle group and I dunno how you could even focus on a good shoulder workout after legs but to each his own.
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Listen it all depends on the product, if it is an ethyl ester product there is no need to load as it is very soluble, this helps with cramping, dehydration, and advanced absorption.

Ethyl Ester makes the Creatine more lipid soluble meaning it is an advanced formula that helps the creatine travel through the cell membranes more rapidly, where as your typical monohydrate does the exact opposite.
If you are running a typical monohydrate, more than likely you will need to load, however, you better be taking in mass amounts of water to flush your kidneys as you will feel it a few weeks in. You may experience some cramping in your lower back as your kidneys can not flush that amount of creatine on it's own.
      07-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

First of all, this thread is full of useless advice for you. You didn't specify your height or your BF%

You CAN effectively hit all body parts in a 3 day split so that other guys advice above is false. But, I would definitely change your routine because at 160 pounds, you are definitely still a beginner and shouldn’t be doing that split yet. These splits do work… But it isn’t the best solution for you at this point since you’ll be missing out on tons of size due to your lack of volume vs. recovery. As for supplements. No to loading on creatine. Yes to taking creatine post-workout along with your Whey or isolate protein.

First, you need to calculate your 10 rep max for all compound movements for:
Deep Squats (Ass below parallel)
Flat bench press
Bent Over Rows
Military Press
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts

Then, we can create a routine around those numbers. Your 10RM should be about 70% of your 1RM

If you’re looking to increase size, you need to increase strength. This is why we're working off you're 10RM. The amount of weight you gain is almost entirely dependent upon your caloric intake. At 160 pounds, your caloric maintenance levels are around 2400 calories and around 3200 calories if you need to put on some size. Focus on a % split of 40/40/20 for carbs/proteins/fats

As far as slimming down your waist/abs – I would suggest high intensity interval training for no more than 2 hours a week. HIIT is more effective than aerobic level cardio at 70%MHR IF you are trying to gain muscle (lifting weights). Otherwise, cardio for 20-30 min at 70-80%MHR will be perfect for losing body fat. Remember to keep your calories clean.
      07-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoiyourlife View Post
First of all, this thread is full of useless advice for you. You didn't specify your height or your BF%

You CAN effectively hit all body parts in a 3 day split so that other guys advice above is false. But, I would definitely change your routine because at 160 pounds, you are definitely still a beginner and shouldn’t be doing that split yet. These splits do work… But it isn’t the best solution for you at this point since you’ll be missing out on tons of size due to your lack of volume vs. recovery. As for supplements. No to loading on creatine. Yes to taking creatine post-workout along with your Whey or isolate protein.

Flat bench press
Bent Over Rows
Military Press
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts

Then, we can create a routine around those numbers. Your 10RM should be about 70% of your 1RM

If you’re looking to increase size, you need to increase strength. This is why we're working off you're 10RM. The amount of weight you gain is almost entirely dependent upon your caloric intake. At 160 pounds, your caloric maintenance levels are around 2400 calories and around 3200 calories if you need to put on some size. Focus on a % split of 40/40/20 for carbs/proteins/fats

As far as slimming down your waist/abs – I would suggest high intensity interval training for no more than 2 hours a week. HIIT is more effective than aerobic level cardio at 70%MHR IF you are trying to gain muscle (lifting weights). Otherwise, cardio for 20-30 min at 70-80%MHR will be perfect for losing body fat. Remember to keep your calories clean.
HUH? The guy is talking about loading creatine, not becoming Mr. America!

I will agree with you on this tho, if you are unsure about supplements, dont take them! Plain and simple! I know too many people that have there libido and testosterone levels all messed up from not researching stuff before you take it! Creatine is pretty safe, but anything past this and you better read up!
      07-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

^^ haha i know.. but then i read he wants to add some size because he's been stuck around 160 lbs. Figured the info might be beneficial to him, that's all

Like you said, research is key. All you really need is Protein and Multi Vitamins really. Throw in some fish oil pills or flax seed if you want to get your Omega3's in there !
      07-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
DFW_MThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT/Audi A4 Prestige

i would not use creatine at all, i used it in the past but its not healthy to use a straight creatine supplement, now i use just a pre workout which has a small amount of creatine in it but not much(jack 3d) and protein after workouts twice a day on heavy days and once on non lifting days, to gain mass protein and more calories in your diet is the answer, just make sure they are healthy calories or else you will gain the wrong kind of mass lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Listen it all depends on the product, if it is an ethyl ester product there is no need to load as it is very soluble, this helps with cramping, dehydration, and advanced absorption.

Ethyl Ester makes the Creatine more lipid soluble meaning it is an advanced formula that helps the creatine travel through the cell membranes more rapidly, where as your typical monohydrate does the exact opposite.
If you are running a typical monohydrate, more than likely you will need to load, however, you better be taking in mass amounts of water to flush your kidneys as you will feel it a few weeks in. You may experience some cramping in your lower back as your kidneys can not flush that amount of creatine on it's own.

That concerns me...
      07-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoiyourlife View Post

Flat bench press
Bent Over Rows
Military Press
Stiff Legged Dead Lifts

ok so maybe u CAN hit all body parts in a 3 day split but how do you expect optimal growth in which the OP is looking for by doing that? I think you should focus on single parts a day like monday do chest, tuesday do back,wednesday do shoulders/traps,thurs bis/tris, fri legs. This will give you more time to focus on each part instead on rushing through one to get to another plus you will have optimal recovery time. By doing these two parts a day how long are you in the gym for? arent you burnt out after doing one body part which makes it tougher on the next? Another big factor is genetics, its either you have it or you dont. Im sure many of you guys are a member of a gym and see people who have been there for years and havent grown or changed one bit. Every person is different
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Try this stuff...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357697
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Alpine View Post
ok so maybe u CAN hit all body parts in a 3 day split but how do you expect optimal growth in which the OP is looking for by doing that? I think you should focus on single parts a day like monday do chest, tuesday do back,wednesday do shoulders/traps,thurs bis/tris, fri legs. This will give you more time to focus on each part instead on rushing through one to get to another plus you will have optimal recovery time. By doing these two parts a day how long are you in the gym for? arent you burnt out after doing one body part which makes it tougher on the next? Another big factor is genetics, its either you have it or you dont. Im sure many of you guys are a member of a gym and see people who have been there for years and havent grown or changed one bit. Every person is different
Every person is different... but my stance on splitting work outs by the day is switching between a Push and a Pull exercise.

My workout week is something like:

Monday: Chest (push)
Tuesday: Back (pull)
Wednesday: Triceps (push)
Thursday: Biceps (pull)
Friday: Legs (push)
Saturday: Shoulders + abs
Sunday: Rest

Now onto the Creatine topic:

I've only started using it 4 weeks ago. I went through with the loading phase 20g per day @ 4 x 5g split up. 5g in the morning after breakfast, 5g after lunch (especially after my carb intake), 5g immediately after workout (I take my creatine jug with me to the gym and shake it up within 5 minutes of exertion lol... a little excessive, I know) and my last 5g was at night after my dinner. I did this for 1 week. After (the past 3 weeks), I've been on 10g a day (5g after lunch and 5g immediately after workout). I've got another week left in my intake cycle before I go off for the next 7 weeks.

I noticed that I had more gas than normal and that I was thirsty as hell. I went from drinking normally about 2 litres of water a day to AT LEAST 4 litres... I pee a lot and its annoying.

On the bright side, I've already broken past my plateaus and weight the same I did 5 weeks ago, but I look a lot bigger.

Otherwise, it's been the best supplement I've taken by far.