E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Ready for some football?

07-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #23
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Being a Michigan Alumnus and a die hard Lions fan since birth, I have forgotten what football over a Junior High level looks like over the past year.

I had a friend (fellow Lions fan) that put good money on them going 0-16 last year. I wish I had been that smart.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
shahsk30
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Unt uh.

Jerry offered Tony a sleeve of ProV1's if he would dump Jessica.

He is focused now.
No more jessica to worry about now
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Being a Michigan Alumnus and a die hard Lions fan since birth, I have forgotten what football over a Junior High level looks like over the past year.

I had a friend (fellow Lions fan) that put good money on them going 0-16 last year. I wish I had been that smart.
I lived in Michigan and never became a Lions fan. During the time I was there, they drafted some great players too. Just never really got into it. I did become a die hard Tigers fan though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
I lived in Michigan and never became a Lions fan. During the time I was there, they drafted some great players too. Just never really got into it. I did become a die hard Tigers fan though.
Well the Tigers have a decent history, but the Lions.... The best player they ever had was forced to retire because he would rather do that than play another down for the Motor City Kitties.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #27
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the Tigers have a decent history, but the Lions.... The best player they ever had was forced to retire because he would rather do that than play another down for the Motor City Kitties.
I forgot to end my post with

GO GREEN!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #28
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
I forgot to end my post with

GO GREEN!
I forgot to end my post with....

Nothing, because the Dick Rod era won't back up my shit talking. Maybe when we start winning again...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #29
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to end my post with....

Nothing, because the Dick Rod era won't back up my shit talking. Maybe when we start winning again...
QFT.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #30
FOXYCaymanS
_
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cayman S / Rover

Gators.
Enough Said.
I might think about some NFL this year...scouting for Timmys next move. Now go bugger off and talk all your trash about how he won't make it to NFL, just like he couldn't win a Heisman nor the championships.
      07-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #31
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Unt uh.

Jerry offered Tony a sleeve of ProV1's if he would dump Jessica.

He is focused now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahsk30 View Post
No more jessica to worry about now
You know another gal will end up in the stands....just who will it be?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #32
shahsk30
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
You know another gal will end up in the stands....just who will it be?
whose another blonde celeb?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #33
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahsk30 View Post
whose another blonde celeb?
Eminem?
      07-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #34
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jay View Post
Eminem?
Hmm I knew there was a reason they call him Tony Homo...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #35
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Lol that's what my friends and I call him. I wonder if the Cowboys will do well this season.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #36
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

RB Rankings: One of the reasons the Vikes are on my "the big game" radar.

No. Team Depth chart Breakdown
1. PANTHERS
RB:
DeAngelo Williams
Jonathan Stewart
Mike Goodson
Jamall Lee
FB:
Brad Hoover
Tony Fiammetta Does anyone outside of Charlotte even know what DeAngelo Williams looks like? Maybe not, but someone put this dude on a poster — check his obscene numbers from '08: 1,515 rushing yards (third in NFL), 5.5 yards per carry (first among No. 1 RBs, only the Giants' Derrick Ward was better) and 20 total touchdowns (most in NFL). And John Stewart's not just a cable talk-show host. Carolina's No. 1A RB scored 10 rushing TDs and nearly reached 1,000 yards on his own. The Panthers also really like rookie Mike Goodson after his strong OTAs, plus Brad Hoover gives the run-heavy team solid depth as a blocker, runner and receiver when his number is called.

2. VIKINGS
RB:
Adrian Peterson
Chester Taylor
Albert Young
Ian Johnson
FB:
Naufahu Tahi
Nehemiah Broughton Kudos to Brad Childress for finally giving the game's best back the keys full-time last season, though many Vikings fans wondered what took so long. But Adrian Peterson showed he was definitely worthy with an NFL rushing crown in his second season. His only issues are an occasional case of the fumbles (which occur mainly out of fighting for extra yards when none are there, something that can be cured) and the eight-nine man fronts he routinely faces due to the team's suspect QB situation — thus, explaining Childress' dance with Brett Favre. Behind Peterson, Taylor is a strong No. 2 back and you may recall rookie Ian Johnson, who famously proposed during a BCS on FOX telecast while back at Boise State. Ultimately, the best medicine for this running game would be a legitimate passing game.

3. TITANS
RB:
Chris Johnson
LenDale White
Chris Henry
Javon Ringer
Quinton Ganther
Rafael Little
FB:
Ahmard Hall
Casey Cramer Whether they are called "Flash and Dash" or "Dumb and Dumber," Tennessee's 1-2 duo of Johnson-White may be the AFC's best twosome. Johnson enters his second season oozing with even more potential as a touchdown waiting to break loose, and White appears (for now, anyway) to have hit his stride regarding work habits. The Titans have plenty of depth at the spot, with Chris Henry a potential threat and impressive rookie Javon Ringer looking good in shorts this spring. Behind a mammoth run-blocking offensive line and stud fullback in Hall, the Titans are overstocked.

4. FALCONS
RB:
Michael Turner
Jerious Norwood
Jason Snelling
Thomas Brown
Verron Haynes
FB:
Ovie Mughelli For all the love thrown at the feet of Atlanta's QB prodigy Matt Ryan last season, none of it would have possible if not for the best free-agent acquisition of the 2008 offseason: Michael Turner. Formerly L.T.'s backup in San Diego, "The Burner" scorched opposing defenses for 1,699 yards and 17 TDs last season (both 2nd in NFL). But the concerning stats is 376, or his NFL-high number of carries — hence, the team's annual offseason pledge to get exciting backup Jerious Norwood more touches this season. We've heard it before, and yet last season the Falcons backup had the same amount of touches (131) he had in '07. Mughelli gives the Falcons a respected fullback presence, but injuries could really challenge this group.

5. GIANTS
RB:
Brandon Jacobs
Ahmad Bradshaw
Danny Ware
Andre Brown
Allen Patrick
FB:
Madison Hedgecock For a team that won the Super Bowl just two seasons ago, the Giants enter '09 with some big questions — and it's not just Plaxico Burress they'll be missing on offense. Gone is RB Derrick Ward to Tampa Bay, meaning last year's fourth-quarter shot in the arm Ahmad Bradshaw must prove he can handle being Brandon Jacobs' main understudy in an enhanced role. Still, GM Jerry Reese did a fine job in landing Andre Brown in the draft to help restock what has been a position of strength in New York and the anchor of Eli Manning's offense.

6. CHARGERS
RB:
LaDainian Tomlinson
Darren Sproles
Gartrell Johnson
Jacob Hester
Michael Bennett
Curtis Brinkley
FB:
Mike Tolbert
Billy Latsko
William Rentmeeser First off, L.T. is still L.T., and the ever-growing gut tells me that his disbelievers will be proved dead wrong this season. That said, look for Norv Turner to ensure that Tomlinson is not overworked and healthy for the playoffs for the first time in three years. The Chargers' coach has both speed and beef with which to choose, with his own pocket full of lightning in 5-foot-7 Darren Sproles plus Jacob Hester, a 230-pounder with kicks who GM A.J. Smith hopes is another Michael Turner clone. The Bolts are still trying to find a FB bonecrusher ever since Lorenzo Neal was not re-signed after the '07 season (and no, that will not be veteran Michael Bennett, a long shot to make the roster). But just getting the old L.T. back will anchor this group firmly.

7. RAVENS
RB:
Ray Rice
Willis McGahee
Cedric Peerman
Jalen Parmele
Cory Ross
FB:
Le'Ron McClain
Jason Cook For a team built to run without a healthy go-to back and with a rookie QB last season, the Ravens' running game was impressive in '08, ranking fourth in yards per game (148.5) and first in carries (592) despite being led in rushing by a rookie fullback. But many league insiders are questioning if veteran Willis McGahee has anything left in the tank even though he turns only 28 in October. Even if the Ravens were to cut McGahee, they should be fine with second-year Ray Rice stepping up as more than just a third-down back.

8. COWBOYS
RB:
Marion Barber III
Felix Jones
Tashard Choice
Alonzo Coleman
Keon Lattimore
FB:
Deon Anderson
Asaph Schwapp
Jamar Hunt Jerry Jones had big dreams last summer after watching his fellow Arkansas alum Felix Jones electrify during training camp and the preseason. But an early-season injury derailed what the owner hoped would be the ultimate backfield combination, pairing the rookie's big-play potential outside with Barber's grinding style inside. The good news from Jones' injury: Dallas found out that Tashard Choice had game, giving the 'Boys a solid No. 3 RB. The bad news: Barber wore down with the grueling punishment he created for himself, meaning Dallas lost their key fourth-quarter advantage of Barber cutting defenses down in the final 15 minutes. If Felix is healthy in '09, this backfield trio could be one of the league's best.

9. JETS
RB:
Thomas Jones
Leon Washington
Shonn Greene
Danny Woodhead
FB:
Tony Richardson
Jehuu Caulcrick If GM Mike Tannenbaum can satisfy both of his veteran backs, the Jets should have quite the running game for QB Mark Sanchez to potentially lean on as a rookie. Jones is hanging his helmet on the fact that he led the AFC in rushing (1,312 yards, fifth overall in NFL) and scored a career-high 13 rushing TDs. What he also likely realizes is that he's a dinosaur in RB years (age 31) and the Jets just drafted Shonn Greene in April as his eventual replacement. Jones' tag-team partner and return star Leon Washington is also vying for a new deal and considering a camp holdout. If the money issues are worked out, the pair along with Greene and veteran fullback Tony Richardson should give the Jets a top-10 running game.

10. DOLPHINS
RB:
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Patrick Cobbs
Lex Hilliard
Anthony Kimble
FB:
Lousaka Polite
Chris Brown Even two seasons ago when the Dolphins won just one game, the running game was the team's biggest strength with Ronnie Brown. Who knew his "Wildcat" ways would start the hottest NFL trend of 2008? Team officials are quietly hoping for bigger things from Brown this fall, with the RB rolling into minicamps in the best shape of his career. You have to credit Bill Parcells for keeping an open mind and reviving Ricky Williams' pro career, wisely as a supplementary piece to keep the focus and pressure off his sensitive soul (and that's not meant as an insult, just the reality). Cobbs is listed as the current third-stringer, but he's more important as a return threat. Miami could use a better No. 3 piece, but as long as the Ronnie-Ricky combo stays healthy (never a given for either), the Dolphins should be set in the backfield.

11. SAINTS
RB:
Reggie Bush
Pierre Thomas
Mike Bell
Lynell Hamilton
P.J. Hill
Herb Donaldson
FB:
Heath Evans
Darian Barnes
Olaniyi Sobomehin This backfield appears in transition with no Deuce McAllister tenderizing opponents like Rocky Balboa in a meat-packing plant. But coaches hope they have the NFL's best-kept secret in Pierre Thomas, expected to fill the void left by the Saints' all-time leading rusher. The transition began late last year, when the Saints finished 4-2 with Thomas' increased workload. In that time, he scored nine TDs rushing and receiving while averaging 15.5 carries per game. What about Reggie Bush? Listen, he's no bust because he's still effective ... for what he is, a versatile back who needs space to work magic. He's just not a true No. 1 back, missing 10 games over the last two seasons and never rushing for 4.0 yards per carry. Denver castoff Mike Bell is done with his fullback experiment, shedding weight to restore quickness and potentially adding depth if (or when) Bush gets hurt. But if Thomas can keep impersonating his mentor, the Saints have the inside/outside combo that worked so well for them in their '06 playoff run.

12. RAIDERS
RB:
Darren McFadden
Justin Fargas
Michael Bush
Gary Russell
Louis Rankin
FB:
Lorenzo Neal
Luke Lawton
Oren O'Neal
Marcel Reece Running back-starved GMs around the league will be keeping an eye on the Raiders' transactions web page, as there appears to be a few quality horses who may need a new stable. McFadden, who could be poised for a breakout season, and Fargas are likely safe. Now that he's healthy, Michael Bush is the great unknown in Oakland. He's shown flashes of his dominant college self, but enough to warrant a major role alongside McFadden? More eyebrows were raised when Oakland claimed ex-Steeler Gary Russell on the spring waiver wire, but credit Al Davis for a nice pickup with veteran fullback Lorenzo Neal.

13. EAGLES
RB:
Brian Westbrook
LeSean McCoy
Lorenzo Booker
Marcus Thigpen
FB:
Leonard Weaver
Kyle Eckel
Marcus Mailei While Andy Reid tries to once again coax his manic Philly fans to relax regarding Brian Westbrook's latest injury (expected to miss most of preseason after recent ankle surgery), the Eagles' multi-talented star hits the dreaded 30 mark in September. For the pessimist, Westbrook is coming off of his least-productive season since 2005. The glass half-full crowd notes Westbrook's stellar playoffs, and the fact that when healthy, he's still among the top 2-3 players with the rock in football. Westbrook insurance was drafted and signed in former Pitt star LeSean McCoy, replacing longtimer Correll Buckhalter as Westbrook's No. 2. The biggest difference in Philly might be the addition of an actual fullback, and one in Weaver, who has had success with the ball as a runner and receiver as well. But Philly's potential on paper could be derailed quickly with a Westbrook injury or McCoy rookie wall.

14. STEELERS
RB:
Willie Parker
Mewelde Moore
Rashard Mendenhall
Justin Vincent
Stefan Logan
Isaac Redman
FB:
Carey Davis
Frank Summers The Steelers have always been known for their defense and running game, which makes it so weird that they won a Super Bowl with a running game ranked 23rd in the NFL. Most of those issues can be fixed with a stronger offensive line, but Pittsburgh also adds (hopefully) a healthy Rashard Mendenhall to the RB mix. The Steelers' first-round pick from 2008 missed most of last year due to injury, but his presence should help Willie Parker stay fresh and quick. Parker is an elite athlete when not worn down but has seen his yards per carry drop in each of his five NFL seasons (down to 3.8 in '08). The days of his 300-carry seasons should be over, and for the Steelers, they need to be. Smartly, the Steelers have kept Mewelde Moore in the fold, as he proved a reliable insurance policy last season after Mendenhall went down. If the kid stays healthy, the Steelers' rushing attack should be back in the top 10.

15. PATRIOTS
RB:
Fred Taylor
Kevin Faulk
Sammy Morris
Laurence Maroney
BenJarvus Green-Ellis True to Bill Belichick's long-time M.O., the Pats have assembled several interchangeable parts in the backfield, which should serve them well. The biggest winner may be the former Jaguars star Taylor, who leaves one of the NFL's most poisonous locker rooms last year for one of the steadiest. The biggest individual loser may be Maroney, whose own injury issues seem to have cost him a chance (for now) of establishing himself as the every-down back he yearns to become. But for the team, all five running backs leading into camp have produced at one point in their careers, giving New England the deepest group in football.

16. REDSKINS
RB:
Clinton Portis
Ladell Betts
Rock Cartwright
Marcus Mason
Anthony Alridge
Dominique Dorsey
FB:
Mike Sellers
Jonathan Evans There may be warning smoke before a house-fire develops in Jim Zorn's kitchen. Looking strictly at his 2008 season numbers, Portis enjoyed his best year since 2005 — and a Pro Bowl one at that — with 1,487 rushing yards and nine TDs. So why was he benched at halftime against the Ravens during the Redskins' late-season freefall? That's what he still might want to know. The veteran back was quoted recently saying he and his coach had long since patched things up. Ideally, a more prolific passing game would open things up for Portis and running mate Ladell Betts.

17. BILLS
RB:
Marshawn Lynch
Fred Jackson
Dominic Rhodes
Xavier Omon
Bruce Hall
Justise Hairston
FB:
Corey McIntyre What was a major negative at the time — Marshawn Lynch's offseason suspension to start the season — may turn into a positive, seeing as it forced the team to add a seasoned backup option in ex-Colts Super Bowl champ Dominic Rhodes. The Bills hope that Rhodes and the elusive Fred Jackson can hold down the fort until Lynch returns after the first three games, and at least Lynch will be fresh into October. But Buffalo's starting Pro Bowler with back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons figures to benefit from the addition of Terrell Owens to the offense, potentially removing one defender from the eight-man fronts he regularly ran into.

18. BEARS
RB:
Matt Forte
Kevin Jones
Garrett Wolfe
Adrian Peterson
FB:
Jason McKie
Jason Davis
Will Ta'ufo'ou For all the criticism GM Jerry Angelo rightly faced by sticking so long with headache Cedric Benson, he sure found the antidote in Forte. The Bears' rookie second-round pick ranked third in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage rushing and receiving (1,715) and was the team's leader in carries and catches, accounting for over 51 percent of the Bears' offensive touches. That's both eye-popping and alarming and also the reason Chicago hopes veteran Kevin Jones can help carry the load. Garrett Wolfe and the other Adrian Peterson give the Bears some third-down passing options, but one way the Bears could see even more success from the running game would be an improved passing attack from Jay Cutler.

19. TEXANS
RB:
Steve Slaton
Chris Brown
Ryan Moats
Arian Foster
Jeremiah Johnson
Clifton Dawson
FB:
Vonta Leach Fantasy folks know all about Steve Slaton. This year the rest of the casual football fans should find out, too. As a rookie in '08, the former West Virginia star rescued the Texans' running attack after Ahman Green unsurprisingly broke down again, with Slaton finishing with 1,282 rushing yards and 50 receptions. One of the better stats: Slaton led the NFL in fourth-quarter rushing yards by far with 464, including five of his nine rushing TDs. Now the team is trying to find a backup for him with Green out of the picture, with the brittle Chris Brown and Ryan Moats (a former disappointment in Philly) battling for the gig. For a team with big-time playoff aspirations, the Texans will certainly be watching camp cut lists and waiver wires all summer long.

20. RAMS
RB:
Steven Jackson
Antonio Pittman
Kenneth Darby
Sam Gado
Chris Ogbonnaya
FB:
Mike Karney
Chris Massey
Jerome Johnson Can Steven Jackson dominate as he did two seasons ago? The Rams hope so, with quarterback Marc Bulger recently admitting as much to FOXSports.com's Alex Marvez. It's as shocking to look back at Jackson's numbers in 2006 (1,528 rushing yards, 90 receptions) as it is not surprising that injuries became a factor under his heavy workload (missed four games in each of the past two seasons). The St. Louis backups are adequate for a game or two, but any Rams' hopes this season directly needs the old Jackson game in, game out.

21. 49ERS
RB:
Frank Gore
Michael Robinson
Glen Coffee
Thomas Clayton
Kory Sheets
FB:
Moran Norris
Zak Keasey Head coach Mike Singletary has been adamant that the Niners must feed Frank Gore as much as possible. And if he can stay healthy, that appears to be a potential playoff plan out in the sad NFC West. Gore is the best player in San Francisco, but if he goes down, the 49ers could be 86'ed quickly. Robinson, the former Penn State QB, is no Gore. The team likes rookie Glen Coffee, but it's a bit early to chug a full cup. It's interesting to note how much Gore loves his fullback, Moran Norris. Before leaving his exit interview following the end of last season, Gore made it a point to ask Singletary to do whatever it took to keep Norris. Still, if Gore's not healthy, it won't matter who's blocking.

22. COLTS
RB:
Joseph Addai
Donald Brown
Mike Hart
Chad Simpson
Lance Ball Indy's 31st-ranked running game put too much of a burden on QB Peyton Manning last season, so the Colts looked to RB with their first-round pick Donald Brown. The UConn star is expected to take the full-time weight off starter Joseph Addai's plate, who saw his production drop in half in '08 (544 rush yards, five rush TDs) after a stellar 2007 season (1,072 yards, 12 TDs). General manager Bill Polian hopes Brown can do plenty for Indy, but as the Colts are currently constructed, they're a bit thin at the position.

23. PACKERS
RB:
Ryan Grant
Brandon Jackson
Kregg Lumpkin
DeShawn Wynn
Tyrell Sutton
FB:
Korey Hall
John Kuhn
Quinn Johnson How good is Ryan Grant? We should all find out this season whether or not it was a mistake for GM Ted Thompson to commit a long-term deal to Grant before the '08 season after what was then a little over a half-season of production in '07. Grant's overall numbers last season seem adequate at first glance (1,203 yards, eighth in NFL), but he has admitted this summer that he expects more than a sub-4.0 yard per carry average and four rushing TDs. If injuries hamper Grant's effectiveness as it did at times last year, Brandon Jackson proves to be a decent sub but certainly no game-breaker to keep the heat off QB Aaron Rodgers. While part of the Packers' running issues were hampered by a banged-up O-line, the group could use a few more insurance legs.

24. JAGUARS
RB:
Maurice Jones-Drew
Chauncey Washington
Rashad Jennings
Alvin Pearman
FB:
Greg Jones
Montell Owens MJD asked for the big money, and he got it ... and all the expectations of a No. 1 RB, without the safety net of running in tandem with ex-Jag Fred Taylor (now in New England). Pound-for-pound one of the NFL's toughest dudes, he may be up for the challenge after 38 touchdowns in his three seasons as just a part-timer, but his blocking and receiving should make more snaps a layup. His No. 2 will likely be FB Greg Jones, who's been part of past Jaguar RB committees and healthy after a injury-riddled '08. The team is quietly geeked over seventh-round rookie Rashad Jennings, a bruiser (6-1, 230) who was thought to be a draft sleeper before sliding due mostly to his college days at small-school Liberty. If this character guy (he's never had a sip of alcohol, wow) can play in the bigs, the Jags could be running 40 times per game.

25. BUCCANEERS
RB:
Derrick Ward
Earnest Graham
Clifton Smith
Josh Vaughan
Kareem Huggins
Cadillac Williams
FB:
B.J. Askew
Jameel Cook So Derrick Ward left a part-time role with the Giants — a bonafide Super Bowl contender — for another timeshare in Tampa, which missed the playoffs last year, has a 32-year-old rookie head coach and could start a rookie QB. Before we pile on, Ward did want to stay in the Big Apple but was told frankly by the front office that the G-Men could not afford to keep him. A shame for him becomes a boon for the Bucs' ground game, as both Ward and Graham could become a surprisingly successful duo down South. The big question remains the status of Cadillac Williams, once the franchise back who is again trying to recover from season-ending injury.

26. BRONCOS
RB:
Knowshon Moreno
Correll Buckhalter
Lamont Jordan
Darius Walker
Ryan Torain
FB:
Peyton Hillis After his nightmarish offseason, give coach Josh McDaniels credit for this: He and the team didn't mess around in the draft, grabbing the top RB on the board with Knowshon Moreno. The former Denver coaching staff endured the true mess from '08 when every Broncos RB suffered serious injury. Hopefully the plague is over, but the karma gods may not be pleased to see Denver respond by signing two backs (Buckhalter and Jordan) with serious injuries on their résumés. That said, if Moreno is the real deal and last year's summer sleeper Ryan Torain can find a niche, the Broncos could (stressing the could) be set in '09. Just cross your fingers and toes, Denver fans.

27. LIONS
RB:
Kevin Smith
Maurice Morris
Aaron Brown
Aveion Cason
Antone Smith
Allen Ervin
FB:
Jerome Felton
Terrelle Smith Well, at least Kevin Smith has a lot more confidence than short-term memory. He recently publicly predicted a playoff season for last season's winless wonders, which at a glance, appears silly and in the big picture may qualify him for the loony bin. OK, OK, enough of the cheap shots — he's suffered enough with the Lions (wait, there I go again, sorry). Smith does at least seemingly have the talent and potential to back his own game up, and this season, the Lions added long-time Seahawk Maurice Morris. But frankly, there won't be too many chances for Smith and Morris to milk a fourth-quarter lead.

28. BENGALS
RB:
Cedric Benson
Brian Leonard
Bernard Scott
Kenny Watson
DeDe Dorsey
Marlon Lucky
James Johnson
FB:
Daniel Coats
Jeremi Johnson
Fui Vakapuna
J.D. Runnels
Chris Pressley Well, the Bengals are going all in on Cedric Benson, having given him a two-year, $7-million contract this offseason. Whether or not that is wise or not remains to be seen for the former Bears bust, but it's still a reasonably short commitment — which will allow the team to cut bait if the former first-rounder proves a big tease. The Bengals liked Benson's production down the stretch in '08, but granted, it was against mostly limp competition. If Benson falters, Cincy will have plenty of journeymen fighting for backup carries this summer, but none who can truly give QB Carson Palmer the kind of balance he needs to keep defenders from teeing up on him.

29. CHIEFS
RB:
Larry Johnson
Jamaal Charles
Kolby Smith
Javarris Williams
Jackie Battle
Dantrell Savage
FB:
Mike Cox The big question is always with the mental state of Johnson, who has not even closely resembled the 1,700-yard back he was BEFORE he finally scored his long-term contract a few years ago. In 2005-06, LJ averaged 1,770 rushing yards and 20 total TDs but has failed to total that combined for each of the past two seasons (curse you, Herman Edwards). If Johnson is not the Johnson of old, the Chiefs would turn to second-year Jamaal Charles (respectable 5.3 yards per carry in '08) and Kolby Smith to hold up the backfield. But clearly neither would strike serious fear into opposing coordinators.

30. SEAHAWKS
RB:
Julius Jones
T.J. Duckett
Justin Forsett
Devin Moore
Tyler Roehl
FB:
Owen Schmitt
Justin Griffith
David Kirtman Where art thou, Shaun Alexander? Quite frankly, the running game could use an infusion of a few good men. Jones started just 10 games, but that was after he became a starter in name only in Dallas ... and he didn't do much to make a case for a sole role. Seattle has a decent short-yardage option in T.J. Duckett, who figures to see more carries with long-time backup Maurice Morris gone. But Seattle's offense has been a bit off-balance ever since Alexander became a has-been himself.

31. CARDINALS
RB:
Chris Wells
Tim Hightower
Jason Wright
LaRod Stephens-Howling
FB:
Tim Castille With all due respect to ex-Card Edgerrin James, the lack of a sustainable running game proved to be Arizona's biggest weakness last season. And by weakness, we're talking about a running game that ranked dead last in the league with only 73.6 rush yards per game — hence, the drafting of Ohio State star "Beanie" Wells with the Cards' first-round pick in April. While talented, Wells carries his own durability questions into the dilemma of the team's void atop the depth chart. Most expected Tim Hightower to win the gig outright when coach Ken Whisenhunt benched Edge midseason, but the rookie could not answer the call on an every-down basis. Instead, he seems best as a Marion Barber-light — a great changeup on an 8-10 carry per game basis. Arizona also brought in ex-Browns backup Jason Wright for depth, but all eyes will be on Beanie.

32. BROWNS
RB:
Jamal Lewis
Jerome Harrison
James Davis
Noah Herron
FB:
Lawrence Vickers
Charles Ali Here's another running back about to hit the 30-year-old mark (in August) that's possibly on the decline. Sure, he recorded his seventh career 1,000-yard season in '08 but only barely with 1,002 — and in a 16-game season, that's not terribly productive. This spring he blamed a nagging injury for his first season (when healthy) without a 100-yard game. Eric Mangini had better hope there's still some tread left on those tires, because there's not much backing him up. Harrison (a fifth-round pick in '06) has been intriguing as a potential long-distance threat but has never stepped forward and become more.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #37
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

And now why I hesitate to put money on the Vikes making it.

Call Romo what you will but he is a solid QB....STFU Couch.

No. Team Depth chart Breakdown
1. CHARGERS
Philip Rivers
Billy Volek
Charlie Whitehurst Rivers has proved himself to be the fiery leader and franchise quarterback, coming one road AFC title game loss to New England in '07 away from a Super Bowl shot. While he gives the Chargers a great shot of getting over the super hump, backup Billy Volek is a solid veteran who has playoff wins to fall back on. Along with prospect Charlie Whitehurst, San Diego GM A.J. Smith has the Bolts well-positioned in case of a serious injury bug.

2. STEELERS
Ben Roethlisberger
Charlie Batch
Dennis Dixon
Mike Reilly
Kevin McCabe With two Super Bowls in five seasons, Big Ben is now among the top five — maybe even the top three — quarterbacks in the NFL. He's got the big arm, the elusiveness and calm under pressure. But the thing about Pittsburgh is, their system is built on consistency and continuity. So for most teams, Charlie Batch as backup QB could be an issue — but not in Steeltown, where he has already shown his ability to keep this team (behind a historically-good run game and defense) afloat. Dixon gives Mike Tomlin a versatile "Wildcat" threat, if he so chooses.

3. COWBOYS
Tony Romo
Jon Kitna
Stephen McGee
Rudy Carpenter There has been plenty of focus around Tony Romo's off-field action, but he's been pretty good on it. At least during the regular season. He's got the numbers and individual accolades (Pro Bowl berths in 2006 and 2007), but not the respect earned through playoff success. This year he also has no T.O., which Dallas hopes will allow him to lead more effectively. If Romo gets injured, this year they traded for backup Jon Kitna as a strong No. 2 — especially from the character POV. Kitna is one of the tougher, more well-respected players in football and should prove a great outlet for Romo as he seeks to take control of the Dallas locker room.

4. CARDINALS
Kurt Warner
Matt Leinart
Brian St. Pierre
Tyler Palko Essentially, the Cards are 1½ players deep at QB, led of course by the veteran Warner — coming off leading the Cards to their first Super Bowl appearance. Hall of Fame or not, even in his late 30s he delivers huge passing numbers (4,583 yards, 30 TDs in 2008). The big question: If Kurt got hurt last year, could Matt Leinart have led 'Zona to the Super Bowl? Likely not, though at least Leinart's working hard this offseason.

5. SAINTS
Drew Brees
Mark Brunell
Joey Harrington Drew Brees is the fuel and engine for the Saints' high-powered offense. Consider that New Orleans led the NFL in scoring in '08 despite injuries to Marques Colston, Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister. If Brees goes down, the Saints should/could conceivably still sneak into the playoffs if all of their offensive weapons are standing. Mark Brunell's well past his glory days, but in the Saints' system should at least keep them competitive, as should Harrington. While New Orleans doesn't have the perfect package, they're hoping that one of the two veterans can win the job comfortably in training camp.

6. PATRIOTS
Tom Brady
Kevin O'Connell
Matt Gutierrez
Brian Hoyer The man is back, and all of New England can breathe sighs of relief. But what if Brady, the three-time Super Bowl champion, gets hurt again? Well, we scoffed at the Pats' chances last September when Mr. Perfect got injured because Matt Cassel — a dude who had not started a game since freaking high school. Then Cassel turned in a Pro Bowl season. Could Bill Belichick do it again with NFL mysteries O'Connell, Gutierrez and Hoyer? Highly unlikely.

7. COLTS
Peyton Manning
Jim Sorgi
Curtis Painter
Chris Crane The Colts should move to L.A., as they'd be the perfect dweller in such a major city built on a series of earthquake-prone faults. Hey, they've got Peyton Manning, so they should have one of football's top two QB groups, right? Well heaven forbid, what will happen to the team if Manning ever DOES get injured? With all due apologies, Jim Sorgi, Curtis Painter and Chris Crane (who???) would not cause any defensive coordinators one less wink at night. Maybe the gambling Colts should move to Las Vegas instead.

8. EAGLES
Donovan McNabb
Kevin Kolb
A.J. Feeley By rallying his Eagles to within a few minutes of the Super Bowl, Donovan McNabb has re-established himself among the game's elite passers. Still, his injury history begs the question, "What if?" The jury is out on 2007 draft pick Kevin Kolb, who was forced to face the Ravens during a second-half in Baltimore in his only chance to snatch the starting gig from Philly's No. 5. At least Feeley has helped guide the Eagles during tough stretches minus McNabb in the past, giving Andy Reid an option of confidence.

9. PANTHERS
Jake Delhomme
Josh McCown
Matt Moore
Hunter Cantwell Delhomme is set as Carolina's franchise quarterback and one of the better clutch arms in the business, plus with two division titles and a Super Bowl trip on his resume. If Jake goes down, their backup should keep them headed toward the playoffs. McCown has been a part-time starter in the league, but mostly on bad teams like Arizona and Oakland. Moore was overmatched in three emergency starts as a rookie in '07, but is young enough for the Panthers to groom for the future.

10. BENGALS
Carson Palmer
J.T. O'Sullivan
Jordan Palmer
Billy Farris Everyone around the Bengals is aglow from watching Carson Palmer's offseason activity. With their two-time Pro Bowler seemingly in perfect health, the Bengals' passing game should come back to life — considering Palmer averaged 28 TD passes per season from 2005-07. Behind him, not too much. J.T. O'Sullivan turns 30 in August and whiffed on his best shot as a No. 1 in San Francisco last season. Neither Carson's little brother (Jordan, with two career picks in 12 passes) or Billy Farris have any NFL success to their credit.

11. FALCONS
Matt Ryan
Chris Redman
D.J. Shockley
John Parker Wilson Ryan was a rookie revelation in 2008, and all signs point to even further development as a soph — both from minicamp reports and the addition of stud TE Tony Gonzalez, which should expedite his evolution. Behind Ryan, however, there's not much else. Redman is a veteran with 10 career starts, but a journeyman who was out of the league from 2004-06. Behind him are two young prospects, but already playing behind a second-year QB Atlanta would be better served by a veteran with more game experience.

12. BILLS
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gibran Hamdan (RFA)
Matt Baker Edwards is the perfect quarterback to build around, which is exactly what Buffalo has done this offseason — the T.O. addition being the biggest move. If Terrell Owens can enhance and not inhibit Edwards' development, it's a huge win for the Bills. Credit Buffalo for a nice little pickup this offseason at their backup spot, grabbing Ryan Fitzpatrick from Cincy — who played admirably (especially down the stretch) while filling in for Carson Palmer in '08.

13. DOLPHINS
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Pat White Whereas the Dolphins were a total mess two seasons ago throughout the Cam Cameron nightmare, Bill Parcells has transformed his QB depth chart and now has three interesting options. The starter Pennington played keep-away to near-perfection en route to leading to Dolphins to the AFC East title last year while winning NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors. But Miami really likes Chad Henne as a big-time QB prospect, while they also drafted the versatile Pat White this April as the possibly the perfect threat in their patented "Wildcat" offense.

14. CHIEFS
Matt Cassel
Tyler Thigpen
Brodie Croyle
Ingle Martin After total, utter chaos reigned at the position last season, give it up to new general manager Scott Pioli for scoring a QB stud in Matt Cassel, who threw for 3,693 yards, 21 TDs and 11 interceptions while being Tom Brady-Light in New England. He should stabilize the pocket, but behind him is Thigpen (played well at times in 2008) and Croyle (another young gun whom K.C. once thought was the QB of the future). There are worse situations in the league.

15. RAVENS
Joe Flacco
Troy Smith
John Beck
Drew Willy Who'd have thought Joe Flacco would rescue the Ravens last season? While he was more of a game manager than Atlanta's fellow rookie Matt Ryan (partially thanks to a dominating defense behind him), like Ryan and the Falcons Baltimore is surprisingly barren at backup quarterback. Nos. 2 and 3 on the depth chart, Smith and Beck have combined for six NFL starts (1-5 combined record as starter). If Flacco goes down, Baltimore's season is immediately in jeopardy.

16. GIANTS
Eli Manning
David Carr
Rhett Bomar
Andre Woodson If former Super Bowl champion Eli Manning gets hurt for an extended period, watch the Giants' offense go into "three yards and a cloud of dust" mode. Somehow, former mega-draft bust David Carr has found a home as New York's backup — despite being scarred seemingly beyond repair from being a pinata in Houston for five seasons. Behind Carr are two youngsters sans snaps at this level, meaning Big Blue fans should offer armed escorts and bubble-wrap any time Eli steps outside his door.

17. TEXANS
Matt Schaub
Dan Orlovsky
Rex Grossman
Alex Brink Believe it or not, this is not a bad group in Houston. While this is a make-or-break season for Schaub, he has shown enough in two seasons as the Texans' starter to give them valid playoff hopes. His biggest issue has been staying healthy, as he missed five games in each of the past two seasons. But Houston may not have too big of a problem as they should have a decent battle for the No. 2 spot this summer, as ex-Lions starter Dan Orlovsky takes on former Bears QB Rex Grossman. While both have their warts, Orlovsky often gave the terrible Lions their best chance at winning in '08 and Grossman did lead the Bears to the Super Bowl once. It could be worse.

18. PACKERS
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Flynn
Brian Brohm One of the more overlooked story angles lost in all the Brett Favre hubbub was how well Aaron Rodgers played. He put up legitimate Pro Bowl-type numbers in his first season as starter, with 4,038 yards and 28 touchdown passes. Problem is, the Pack struggled mightily on defense and fell to double digits in the loss column. While Rodgers seems to have proved himself — at least on paper — his backups leave zero safety net for Green Bay in case of injury. I'd be fine with Doug Pederson at this point.

19. BEARS
Jay Cutler
Caleb Hanie
Brett Basanez Well, at least now the Bears finally have one legitimate, top-shelf QB. They just may not have anyone behind him if Cutler ever gets hurt. First, how good is Cutler? Critics point to his offseason pouting in Denver, his 18 interceptions in 2008 and fact that he's never led a team to the playoffs. But he did have a horrible defense in Denver, which on paper the Bears should be an improvement. But Caleb Hanie and Brett Basanez as backups? Chicago's front office should be ashamed to head into the season with no proven backup.

20. TITANS
Kerry Collins
Vince Young
Patrick Ramsey
Alex Mortenson Technically, the Titans are set with three guys who can play right now with Collins, Young and Ramsey. But there are big chinks in everyone's persona. Collins, while he enjoyed a career revival and is entrenched as the team's starter, is not your elite passer expected to win battles against the Bradys, Mannings or other NFL top guns. Vince Young is trying to stunt a downward career spiral. Ramsey is backup fodder, though he is tough and will compete. At least the Titans have three guys who should keep the team competitive, pending Young's state of mind.

21. SEAHAWKS
Matt Hasselbeck
Seneca Wallace
Mike Teel
Jeff Rowe Seattle's ranking all has to do with which Matt Hasselbeck is available this season — the healthy fireplug who led the 'Hawks to a Super Bowl XL appearance, or the bald guy with the bum arm. Wallace has had specs of success, but too sporadic to consider him anything more than a career backup. Many insiders were surprised Seattle did not draft Mark Sanchez with its No. 4 pick in the draft, seeing as they do not have a franchise QB to groom for the post-Hasselbeck era.

22. RAMS
Marc Bulger
Kyle Boller
Keith Null
Brock Berlin Can Marc Bulger revive his career? He probably can with a real live NFL offensive line around him. Once a Pro Bowl-caliber QB, Bulger needs a big season after two straight years of struggles. The Rams added Kyle Boller as a backup, who seemed to be evolving in Baltimore until injuries cost him his 2008 season — and Joe Flacco stole his job. Other than that, this pocket has a few holes in it.

23. JAGUARS
David Garrard
Todd Bouman
Paul Smith While he should not bear the brunt of the team's problems last season as the Jaguars came apart both on-field and off in 2008, David Garrard still only has one solid season as a starter under his belt. His backup Bouman was out of football last season and last took a meaningful NFL snap in 2005 — or several years before Twitter became a name in pop culture. Jack Del Rio's team is not positioned well for a season-wrecking injury.

24. REDSKINS
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins
Colt Brennan
Chase Daniels The Redskins entertained deals for both Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez this offseason, and were major players in trade talks for each. That says everything about their lack of confidence in Jason Campbell, whom ex-coach Joe Gibbs recently said has rabbit ears. This is a huge year for Campbell, who must prove he is more than just an average guy. Todd Collins knows the offense inside and out, making him an excellent backup. The No. 3 spot appears to be a camp battle between two rookies coming off stud college careers. While the group is deep, the lack of a true No. 1 hurts their cause.

25. BROWNS
Brady Quinn
Derek Anderson
Brett Ratliff
Richard Bartel The good thing about a quarterback competition? Plenty of depth. The bad thing: No true No. 1 guy. Granted, Derek Anderson did lead the Browns to the playoff doorstep with a wildly successful 2007, but failed so much last year that most local fans and media expect former first-round pick Brady Quinn to win the gig this fall. If Quinn fulfills his hype, the Browns have a strong group of passers along with prospect Brett Ratliff, a Mangini favorite from his stint with the Jets. But if not, the Browns have to go QB hunting in next year's draft.

26. LIONS
Daunte Culpepper
Matthew Stafford
Drew Stanton
Justin Goltz While it's tough to judge a rookie QB before he takes a big-league snap, Matt Stafford's presence is giving lots of Lions fans some real hope. Just don't hope for much THIS season. That said, if Daunte Culpepper is in much better shape (as he appeared to be in minicamps) and has his head back on straight, Detroit should win a few games this season ... which for them ain't too shabby. He can keep the seat warm until "The Franchise" is ready to take over.

27. JETS
Kellen Clemens
Mark Sanchez
Erik Ainge
Chris Pizzotti Call the Jets' QB race "Young and Younger." Kellen Clemens has his chance to win the starting gig and is currently atop the team depth chart, but frankly, it's probably the best chance he'll ever have. Realistically he needs to light up the Jets' practice field this summer to have a shot at starting, judging from the buzz around New York's glamour rookie Sanchez. While the road may be rugged in '08, at least Rex Ryan and the Jets seemingly have their franchise quarterback.

28. BUCCANEERS
Luke McCown
Byron Leftwich
Josh Freeman
Josh Johnson For a team that hasn't yet decided on a starting QB, Tampa Bay sure does have plenty of interesting choices. They have two veterans gunning for the top spot in McCown and Leftwich. Behind them are two greenies — the Bucs' former hot QB prospect (Johnson) and current (Freeman, the team's first-round pick from April). With so many arms, has QB addict former head coach Jon Gruden really been fired?

29. RAIDERS
JaMarcus Russell
Jeff Garcia
Andrew Walter
Bruce Gradkowski
Charlie Frye
Danny Southwick The Raiders lead the league in recognizable names at quarterback. Other than that, this group leads in nothing but question marks. The jury is WAY out on former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell "getting it" this season. Walter has never been good enough to get his shot by the Bay, and both Gradkowski and Frye flamed out in prior, brief stints as NFL starters. Give Al Davis credit for a smart move in bringing in feisty veteran Jeff Garcia this offseason, even though he seems a poor fit for the owner's "Mad Bomber" philosophy.

30. VIKINGS
Sage Rosenfels
Tarvaris Jackson
John David Booty
Sean Glennon Well, that was fun, wasn't it? With Brett Favre not flying in to save the Vikings, Minnesota has gone the entire offseason without a drop-dead improvement to its biggest dilemma — starting quarterback. Tarvaris Jackson had decent enough numbers in the regular season, but showed his true colors in a brutal performance in a playoff loss to Philly. Rosenfels has actually shown flashes of decency during his days as a Texan, but has just 12 career starts in seven seasons. You think Jeff Garcia regrets saying yes to Al Davis in Oakland earlier this offseason? He would be perfect for Brad Childress right now.

31. 49ERS
Shaun Hill
Damon Huard
Alex Smith
Nate Davis
Kirby Freeman There's a big battle going on for the Niners' top spot, but a battle of mediocrity considering past NFL experience. Hill is the incumbent, who put up surprising decent numbers last season (62.8% completed, 13 TDs, 8 INT). Mr. Smith is healed both mentally and physically, and OTA reports graded him well. Huard is a solid veteran to help guide the youngsters. For a rebuilding team with no true bonafide franchise stud, at least the 49ers have some options .... even if they're not Joe Montana or Steve Young.

32. BRONCOS
Kyle Orton
Chris Simms
Tom Brandstater Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #38
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Lol that's what my friends and I call him. I wonder if the Cowboys will do well this season.
We were at a bar in Houston where you can donate money and write a message on glass behind the pianos.

Some people wrote "Go Cowboys". On the mirror next to it my friends and I wrote, "Cowboy fans are Homo for Romo."
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #39
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We were at a bar in Houston where you can donate money and write a message on glass behind the pianos.

Some people wrote "Go Cowboys". On the mirror next to it my friends and I wrote, "Cowboy fans are Homo for Romo."
Howl at the Moon?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #40
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXYone View Post
Gators.
Enough Said.
I might think about some NFL this year...scouting for Timmys next move. Now go bugger off and talk all your trash about how he won't make it to NFL, just like he couldn't win a Heisman nor the championships.
I hope it's Gators vs USC this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #41
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:

LOL owned!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #42
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

FINALLY!

It's been a long break, as usual, and I am more than ready for the NFL to start up tonight.

I am going with Pitt -5.5 in my pools.

A few toughies Sunday.

Pats giving 10.5
Saints giving 13.5
I took them but both dang that's alot for opening day.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #43
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Go Lions.

Now, where's that paper bag...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #44
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Don't forget to cut your cold fluids port.

Saints will cover them IMO.

Even though your hot shot, from Dallas, Stafford is starting....he is going to get his bell rung hard. "WeLcomE tO ThE NfL, ROkiE" will be said into his ear hole more than once.