E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thinking of moving to San Francisco

06-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #133
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Well - I know this is an old thread - but it looks like this is about to become reality.

Flying out to SF next Thursday for an on-site interview. Don't want to put the cart before the horse but I'm suspecting if they are spending money on flying me out there it is likely there is good potential.

That said - I need to figure out where to live! The job is actually going to be in Emeryville. Any suggestions on good places to be that aren't too far? I'm okay with a commute of up to around 30 minutes or so if needed.
Palantir flew me to Palo Alto instead of having me interview at their location 5 minutes from me, but they didn't give me an offer. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Good luck.
      06-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #134
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Good advice.

Also since you are across the bridge, I suggest you stay in East Bay. Crossing the Bay Bridge on a daily basis will wear you out. Oakland isn't bad nowadays, tons of food. Hayward is good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Palantir flew me to Palo Alto instead of having me interview at their location 5 minutes from me, but they didn't give me an offer. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #135
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Agreed - this is just one of many different prospects I've got at the moment. Working with another role that will be based out of Mountain View. I suppose i'll need a more concrete idea of where the job will be based before looking for housing.

Although - the role for the interview on Thursday lines up almost perfectly with my background, and spoke to the hiring manager for about an hour and a half during the technical piece. IN my past experiences, when a company asks you to come onsite from a distant location, they have a vested interest at this point and are likely going to focus on soft skills and HR type questions.

Anyhow regardless of which opportunity is a reality and which isn't - my lease on the current place is coming up and I don't plan on re-signing it. All my focus is now on relocating so I really do need to put some thought into where the hell I want to live.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #136
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

There are places I try to avoid by heart.

-NYC
-Boston
-Maryland/dc
-San Francisco all the way down to San Jose.
-Seattle
-San Diego

It is not just cost of living sucks, I extremely dislike the parking and traffic situation. Those really ruin my day.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #137
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

cool man
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #138
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

That said - I need to figure out where to live! The job is actually going to be in Emeryville. Any suggestions on good places to be that aren't too far? I'm okay with a commute of up to around 30 minutes or so if needed.
Is it by any chance RelayHealth? or Jamba Juice? I used to work for RH couple years ago.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #139
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post

-NYC
-Boston
-Maryland/dc
-Seattle
-San Diego

It is not just cost of living sucks, I extremely dislike the parking and traffic situation. Those really ruin my day.
While I'm flattered that you didn't include VA in that list, if you hate those two places and ever decide to move to the Northern VA region, you're going to have a bad time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #140
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

-NYC
-Boston
-Maryland/dc
-Seattle
-San Diego

Why did you not include any Texas cities? I'd like to see Houston in that list.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #141
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Why did you not include any Texas cities? I'd like to see Houston in that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
While I'm flattered that you didn't include VA in that list, if you hate those two places and ever decide to move to the Northern VA region, you're going to have a bad time.
I've heard N.VA as bad.

Houston? Isn't Houston better than Cleveland OH?
Oh yeah. NO Detroit and it's suburbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #142
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

So

Ive been offered a job. I think I will be taking it. I really need to figure out now where I should be living.

Some people I spoke to there said that they are living in the city and make the commute daily, and that since its going out of the city in the mornings and into the city after work its not that bad of a commute. They are super laid back and not concerned about you getting there precisely at a specific time in the morning.

I am looking around and trying to find good places based on some of the suggestions made here but seems to be hard to do remotely from the internet.

I'll need - A place to park my car. A 1 Bedroom (or decently sized studio) and has to be pet friendly (small dog).

Any ideas from those of you who are SF citizens?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #143
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

I recently moved from Santa Monica to Burlingame/Millbrae for a new job in downtown SF. BART is only a 1 minute drive for me and the ride to downtown SF only takes 20-30 minutes and costs $9 roundtrip. Burlingame is an extremely nice place to live if you want somewhere quiet, large apartments, and ample parking space/assigned parking spots, but also want to be in the middle of either downtown SF or Palo Alto. Weather is extremely nice as well and similar to Santa Monica, as opposed to other areas like Daly City.

I lived in Daly City temporarily for my first week up here and hated it. Parking sucks, it's windy, and there is heavy fog even in the afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #144
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
So

Ive been offered a job. I think I will be taking it. I really need to figure out now where I should be living.

Some people I spoke to there said that they are living in the city and make the commute daily, and that since its going out of the city in the mornings and into the city after work its not that bad of a commute. They are super laid back and not concerned about you getting there precisely at a specific time in the morning.

I am looking around and trying to find good places based on some of the suggestions made here but seems to be hard to do remotely from the internet.

I'll need - A place to park my car. A 1 Bedroom (or decently sized studio) and has to be pet friendly (small dog).

Any ideas from those of you who are SF citizens?
is this in Emeryville? yea the reverse commute wont be the worst thing in the world. if your work is close to the bart station there, you can try to live close to a bart station in the city and that will make your commute much easier.

whats your budget for rent?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #145
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
is this in Emeryville? yea the reverse commute wont be the worst thing in the world. if your work is close to the bart station there, you can try to live close to a bart station in the city and that will make your commute much easier.

whats your budget for rent?
I'm thinkin around 3K to 3300 is the most I'd want to pay in rent.

I know some people mentioned Glen Park and Marina as being good places to check out. Anything specific? I'll be traveling out there within the next week to check out some prospective apartments and want to have a list of properties to look at
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #146
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm thinkin around 3K to 3300 is the most I'd want to pay in rent.

I know some people mentioned Glen Park and Marina as being good places to check out. Anything specific? I'll be traveling out there within the next week to check out some prospective apartments and want to have a list of properties to look at
3k sounds doable. marina is nice but its not very accessible by bart or public transport. youll probably have to rely on a car ride service like uber to go out. you typically dont want to drive when youre out in the city because of parking. glen park is good because its low key so parking is available. its also close to bart so you can go downtown or the mission very easily. you can also try to find a place in the mission or soma. that might stretch your budget a little though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #147
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

What about somewhere in Marin? Mill Valley/Sausalito/Tiburon are very close, and have the Ferries, as well as Larkspur. And Golden Gate Transit has good bus service, if you don't want to drive. It's a very liveable place on a daily basis as well.
      07-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #148
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Is the Financial district a good area to be thinking about as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #149
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the Financial district a good area to be thinking about as well?
sure, if youre lucky enough to find a place in your budget around there then go for it. financial district, embarcadero, soma, nob hill are good areas in that general region.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #150
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Bah! this is impossible to do on such short notice.

I'm now looking at places in East bay. I am sketchy about moving to oakland, not sure that I want to be so close to work in Emeryville.

What do you guys think of Berkeley? I found a place in West Berkeley but I'm concerned about the area and the proximity to the trains - however any place I find in East bay that seems anywhere decent is next to a damn train track! BahHH!

My thoughts are to sign a short lease in a nice place in East Bay while I get a grip on th area and find a place I can physically see in the city. Advice??
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #151
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Bah! this is impossible to do on such short notice.

I'm now looking at places in East bay. I am sketchy about moving to oakland, not sure that I want to be so close to work in Emeryville.

What do you guys think of Berkeley? I found a place in West Berkeley but I'm concerned about the area and the proximity to the trains - however any place I find in East bay that seems anywhere decent is next to a damn train track! BahHH!

My thoughts are to sign a short lease in a nice place in East Bay while I get a grip on th area and find a place I can physically see in the city. Advice??
if you don't want to live so close to work in Emeryville, Berkeley is also right next to there. in both Berkeley and Oakland, there are areas that are better to live with less crime and stuff. I'm not too familiar with that area so I cant give you specifics. I think rockridge and lake merritt are suppose to be nicer areas of Oakland.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #152
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I've heard N.VA as bad.

Houston? Isn't Houston better than Cleveland OH?
Oh yeah. NO Detroit and it's suburbs.
NoVA has very aggressive drivers, it kind of gets tiresome, so does Boston.

imho Boston is so arrogant, just because they've won every sports championship in the last decade and have the best university in the world, doesn't give people the right to act that way.

They should stick to what they know: overpriced real estate and 28 varieties of clams.
Appreciate 0