E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thinking of moving to San Francisco

10-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
you'll be fine with 120K r u applying to berkely for grad school? i'm actually applying to some schools in texas for grad school right now, we'll possibly be trading states
Yep I'm going to apply around to several different schools - Berkeley, Northwestern, UT Austin, just to name a few... Berkeley is definitely on the top of my list but gotta have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
i'll repeat it again. glen park will be perfect for you. rent isn't too crazy, and parking is plentiful. its right next to bart (bay area rapid transit) which will take you directly to the mission, downtown, and Berkeley. its close to the freeway so you have a more direct route to Menlo park. its perfect for you and your car. you can go out and have fun without worrying about parking and driving home afterwards. its the best.

I live in SF, and my car doesn't have any bumper scratches from parking, but I also rarely park in downtown. I just take public transportation down there when I go.
So just for my clarification - what is considered reasonable rent in Glen Park?

I'm coming from Houston where living in a 1 Bedroom in a very nice part of town will run you about $1300-1500 - I get the feeling that is not the case out here haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Glen Park is nice, but not really hip or exciting. Plus it's quite a bit colder. OP, you'll find that climate varies drastically in different parts of the city. It's quite hard to imagine for a city that's only 7 miles x 7 miles, but it's significant.

If you can spend a little more on rent and can manage dating multiple hot early-20 somethings on a monthly basis, Marina is great. You will be scoffed at for living there by those who can't afford it or aren't really attractive, though. Pac Heights/Lower Pac Heights and Nob Hill are good as well.

No matter what, though, don't be like every other techie and move to the Mission. As much as long-time residents complain that the Mission is now too gentrified and techies have pushed all the lower-income residents away by pricing them out...it's still shit. It's filled with east coast trust-fund transplants with unrealistic dreams about their save-the-world or revolutionize-the-internet startup and ghetto families paying well below market on their rent-controlled apartment since the 80s. Go there to eat and that's it.

Here's a little map...

Last edited by F32; 10-10-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Glen Park is nice, but not really hip or exciting. Plus it's quite a bit colder. OP, you'll find that climate varies drastically in different parts of the city. It's quite hard to imagine for a city that's only 7 miles x 7 miles, but it's significant.

If you can spend a little more on rent and can manage dating multiple hot early-20 somethings on a monthly basis, Marina is great. You will be scoffed at for living there by those who can't afford it or aren't really attractive, though. Pac Heights/Lower Pac Heights and Nob Hill are good as well.
all those areas are terrible for owning a car. i'm pretty sure you can find a good place in glen park/sunnyside with parking in the 2000 range. glen park itself is pretty low key but you can easily access all the party places from there like mission/downtown/soma without worrying about parking and driving home. going to Berkeley with bart from glen park would be a lot easier than from marina/nob hill/pac heights too.

heres a breakdown of average rent by districts for a 1bd
http://sfist.com/2013/07/19/another_sf_rent_map.php

Last edited by i dunno; 10-10-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

don't do it dude.....

right now, you live at home and are not really responsible for anything.

if you're not making 6-fig now and you don't get 6-fig when you go to SF, it ain't worth it.

your quality of life is fantastic here in Houston.

once you get out from your dad's house, you will be paying @ $2500 in bills a month living in SF.....

car
rent
insuranceS
bills
food

$100K goes a long way here in Houston - in SF you'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

Cali is beautiful - in a perfect world i'd live in San Diego, but if i took the 6-fig income i make now and move to SD, my lifestyle would change for the worse.

i wouldn't be able to buy things and do things that i want over there unless i got a 60-70% uplift....

it would be a disaster if you went to SF for only $120K.....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

most ppl make it by here on a lot less including me
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Yep I'm going to apply around to several different schools - Berkeley, Northwestern, UT Austin, just to name a few... Berkeley is definitely on the top of my list but gotta have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.
let me guess you're applying for your mba?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't do it dude.....

right now, you live at home and are not really responsible for anything.

if you're not making 6-fig now and you don't get 6-fig when you go to SF, it ain't worth it.

your quality of life is fantastic here in Houston.

once you get out from your dad's house, you will be paying @ $2500 in bills a month living in SF.....

car
rent
insuranceS
bills
food

$100K goes a long way here in Houston - in SF you'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

Cali is beautiful - in a perfect world i'd live in San Diego, but if i took the 6-fig income i make now and move to SD, my lifestyle would change for the worse.

i wouldn't be able to buy things and do things that i want over there unless i got a 60-70% uplift....

Don't live with family anymore. Living in Memorial area (San Felipe and Voss).

Making 6 Figures now (well over actually) - And was offered 6 Figs by a social media company in Menlo Park last year.. maybe you've heard of it... its called Facebook.

Really my main reason to go is for School. If I'm going to pay 100K for grad school I figure I might as well do it right. I'm sick of this shell I've been living in and time to get out and broaden my horizons. People here get too comfortable and content with living in one area for their whole life and there is just too much out there to stick around in one place.

Last edited by youngnastyman; 10-10-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #31
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
let me guess you're applying for your mba?
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Yep!
hahah same here man! I knew you were based on the schools you named lol. i'm working on apps as we speak, maybe we'll end up at the same place lol i'm not doing kellog but i'm doing uta, stern, haas, and Wharton and some others
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
ppl make it by here on a lot less
they don't live in a nice area of San Francisco and have to pay on that nice area.

they also probably don't make payments on an M3 like the OP does....

i could live in SF with my two kids and my wife i drove around paid off 10 year old Camry's or Accords and i liked living in a tiny 1600sqft house lol.....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't live with family anymore. Living in Memorial area (San Felipe and Voss).

Making 6 Figures now (well over actually) - And was offered 6 Figs by a social media company in Menlo Park last year.. maybe you've heard of it... its called Facebook.

Really my main reason to go is for School. If I'm going to pay 100K for grad school I figure I might as well do it right. I'm sick of this shell I've been living in and time to get out and broaden my horizons. People here get too comfortable and content with living in one area for their whole life and there is just too much out there to stick around in one place.
ok, if you're only getting a 20% uplift to move to a state/area that requires a cost of living increase of 50-60%, you'll only be hurting yourself....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
they don't live in a nice area of San Francisco and have to pay on that nice area.

they also probably don't make payments on an M3 like the OP does....

i could live in SF with my two kids and my wife i drove around paid off 10 year old Camry's or Accords and i liked living in a tiny 1600sqft house lol.....
This is a very good point - but who knows maybe I'll have to make some sacrifices... Maybe not a 10 year old paid off Camry but a cheaper German car (lets say a 335i or an S5) are not out of the question. I'm also looking into some plans for paying off the M3 so that it's not even an issue.

I will have to figure it all out when the answers from the Grad schools come back but I can assure you if I get accepted out of state I will not be going to school in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is a very good point - but who knows maybe I'll have to make some sacrifices... Maybe not a 10 year old paid off Camry but a cheaper German car (lets say a 335i or an S5) are not out of the question. I'm also looking into some plans for paying off the M3 so that it's not even an issue.

I will have to figure it all out when the answers from the Grad schools come back but I can assure you if I get accepted out of state I will not be going to school in Houston.
looks like you have a plan in place.

just listen to the people that are living and have lived out there before - the cost of living increase will overwhelm your salary increase.

........unless you can find a job going for $140-150K - that would be a much safer salary in SF based on your requirements of "nice area" and the fact that you have a sick car....

oh, and the fact that you have super duper hipster tendencies HAHAHA !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #37
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, if you're only getting a 20% uplift to move to a state/area that requires a cost of living increase of 50-60%, you'll only be hurting yourself....
So by your logic I should stay in Houston, pay 100K for a school that no one has heard of and just be happy?

People leave our city to get educated in expensive metropolitan areas all the time. I'm not saying this is permanent, it may be, but who knows. Again school is key - I may not get into Berkeley but maybe I get into Northwestern, or Illinois - Then I'll be in Chicago? Or UT - Austin? Not exactly cheaper than Houston. Just because our cost of living is cheaper here doesn't make it the most ideal place to live and get educated. Granted there is money to be made here and life to be lived but I am young, single, making a good amount of cash and don't plan on settling down ANYTIME soon. You on the other hand are married with kids, have a house, etc. Two totally different lifestyles, mentalities, goals in life.

Plus I like to smoke pot and Texas doesn't look too kindly on that haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You're forgetting to add the value of waking up every morning and not being in Texas. It's hard to monetize that.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #39
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

........unless you can find a job going for $140-150K - that would be a much safer salary in SF based on your requirements of "nice area" and the fact that you have a sick car....

This is not unattainable. That 120K Offer I got was over a year and a half ago (maybe more). Just glancing around the job market, there are opportunities out there with requirements for people with LESS experience than what I have know ranging between 130-150K..

I'm sure I can pull it off if it came to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In that case...please take everything I said back.

Stay in TX.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i could smell it on your clothes lolololol......

but you're right, we are both at different stages in our life.

i'm not saying stay in Houston - all i'm saying is that if you leave home to go to a more expensive living environment, and you're salary is not covering the cost of living increase, it could result in disaster.

imagine having to move back to Houston broken and frustrated - or having your dad paypal you $5000 every 2 or 3 months.

you could do option 2 easily
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #42
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is not unattainable. That 120K Offer I got was over a year and a half ago (maybe more). Just glancing around the job market, there are opportunities out there with requirements for people with LESS experience than what I have know ranging between 130-150K..
Where and what field?

As good as the job market and pay is here, not many will offer a salary like that with only a bachelors degree.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
looks like you have a plan in place.

just listen to the people that are living and have lived out there before - the cost of living increase will overwhelm your salary increase.

oh, and the fact that you have super duper hipster tendencies HAHAHA !!!
dude he'll be fine. I live in sf. I don't make 6 figures, and I managed to pay off my car and have a garage. relax man.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Where and what field?

As good as the job market and pay is here, not many will offer a salary like that with only a bachelors degree.

Bachelors Degree and 8+ Years in an Enterprise IT environment. I got my undergrad while working for the company I am with now.

Currently I am an IT Consultant with heavy focus on Linux/UNIX systems, engineered solutions, Tier 1 and 2 SAN and Storage, replication, and disaster recovery.

Spent 4 years as a Linux Administrator, and past 4 years I have been in kind of a hybrid Storage/Linux Consulting role within our Infrastructure Operations group.

Spot checking around on job listing websites I saw a few Sr. Linux Administrator or Storage Administrator opportunities in SF or closeby offering 120-150K depending on experience.

PLUS - in my field - a degree really doesn't mean squat. Experience is a must.

The role with Facebook was a Systems Engineer role which (according to GlassDoor) averages at around 120K.
Appreciate 0