E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thinking of moving to San Francisco

10-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Thinking of moving to San Francisco

I traveled to SF this past weekend to watch my hometeam (I'll let you guess) get DESTROYED by the 49ers...

But anyway - I loved the city! The weather, the people, the mentality out there is so much different than where I am. Not to mention alot of the big technology companies are HQ'd closeby.

I have been approached by tech firms in Menlo Park, CA before but turned them down due to extenuating circumstances at the time. But now I am a little more flexible and am actually considering relocating.

My question is - what is a good salary range to make to live comfortably in SF? I would want to live in a decent part of town (doesn't have to be downtown SF) but somewhere nice preferably. I have been looking around and I'm pretty confident I can score a job paying 6Figures+ very easily as I have a lot of experience with a top energy firm within my area of expertise.

So what are some good areas to live in that are not too ghetto and the cost of living isn't some ridiculous number? I would love to take my M3 out there as well but I hear that parking and commuting is a huge PITA out there.

Last edited by youngnastyman; 10-09-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
youll live pretty well on 6 figures. be sure to find a place with a garage for your car. parking is scarce or plentiful depending on which district u live in. I personally like Glen Park. It's not ridiculously expensive, quiet, there's parking, and its close to public transportation which takes you directly to popular spots like Mission, SOMA, Downtown, etc. if you work in Menlo park or somewhere down the peninsula, glen park is right next to the freeway so your commute will be easier.

here's a summary of all the different districts
http://www.thebolditalic.com/article...-san-francisco
http://www.thebolditalic.com/article...ancisco-part-2
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

If you are making 6 figures and single than you will be fine. SF is the place to be! Only reason I don't want to live there is you can't drive! Parking and roads suck ass in SF. I can't give up my m3 and ride in a bus. Simple as that. For me, SF is best for partying! Not for living.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

hrmmm.... i do like to drive..

Thing is I am sick of texas. Grew up here and haven't lived anywhere else. I like the vibe in California. Plus there are several tech companies out there and I feel like have alot of opportunity there.

I am also looking into Graduate Programs so I guess for starters I'll apply to Berkeley and maybe some others to see if I can get accepted. The Job market out there for my type of skills looks pretty good as well, but school is first priority.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
u don't have to give up your car. I live in san Francisco and have a car. you just have to live in the right areas to conveniently keep one. there's also 3 tracks within 2 hours from here: Sonoma, thunderhill, and laguna seca. I had a track day at laguna seca in aug, and it was awesome!

seriously, Glen Park.

Last edited by i dunno; 10-09-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've lived in the NYC suburbs my whole life and have frequently said that SF is the only other area I could live in. I've spent a few long vacations there and it felt like home. No other place has felt that way.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Think about it hard before you make the decision. I have lived in California for over 20+ years. Born and raised in San Diego.

Having been in the military and working around the country I have to say there are a lot of negatives for living in the state of California. So many infact that I am really considering retiring in a state that is more laid back and actually has money.

A few negatives from the get go:

1) 9.9% sales tax (pathetic and should be 0% like Oregon)
2) Property tax is through the roof.
3) Gun laws are the second worst in the country.
4) Crime is at an all time high in Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco.
5) Car registration fees are one of the top 3 in the country for being the highest.
Example:
$800 a year to register M3 in California
$72 for 2.2 years to register M3 in Oregon
$100 a year to register M3 in Maine

6) State puts a hefty tax on your retirement pension.

So there is a quick start...

So for millions of us its not looking great at all and its not going to get any better on top of its overpopulated to the max in certain areas. I for one dont like to wait for anything and its been that way for 30 years. Just me though.

Now if you don't care about any of those things then it may be for you.

Other states I rate higher than California:

1) Oregon
2) Hawaii (Oahu is now a bit overcrowded now too)
3) Washington
4) Arizona
5) Maine (really pushing it here probably California would be 4.5) LOL

Last edited by Endless619; 10-09-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Hate hate hate driving in S.F.

Worst city to have a car. The amount of bumper scratches you will accumulate over a few months will make it look like wolverine took his claws to them.

I once saw a young black woman trying to park on an incline near Nob Hill. She literally plowed into the car parked lower on the incline making both cars visibly jump into the air, and then casually drove slightly up the hill, set the parking brake, and took off to where ever she was going.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Think about it hard before you make the decision. I have lived in California for over 20+ years. Born and raised in San Diego.

Having been in the military and working around the country I have to say there are a lot of negatives for living in the state of California. So many infact that I am really considering retiring in a state that is more laid back and actually has money.

A few negatives from the get go:

1) 9.9% sales tax (pathetic and should be 0% like Oregon)
2) Property tax is through the roof.
3) Gun laws are the second worst in the country.
4) Crime is at an all time high in Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco.
5) Car registration fees are one of the top 3 in the country for being the highest.
Example:
$800 a year to register M3 in California
$72 for 2.2 years to register M3 in Oregon
$100 a year to register M3 in Maine

6) State puts a hefty tax on your retirement pension.

So there is a quick start...

So for millions of us its not looking great at all and its not going to get any better on top of its overpopulated to the max in certain areas. I for one dont like to wait for anything and its been that way for 30 years. Just me though.

Now if you don't care about any of those things then it may be for you.

Other states I rate higher than California:

1) Oregon
2) Hawaii (Oahu is now a bit overcrowded now too)
3) Washington
4) Arizona
5) Maine (really pushing it here probably California would be 4.5) LOL

WOW - $800 registration!! Thats insane! In texas its $65 a year no matter what you drive.

My main driver for living there will be school. I am aiming to get into Berkeley for my grad degree and plan to work full time and go to school on the weekends. So at a minimum I will be in Cali for about 2-3 years. Whether or not I decide to stay there depends on what opportunities come my way after school. I don't think property tax will come into play for me at first since I am planning on renting rather than buying until I figure out what my long term plans are.

Another question - does California charge a state income tax, or is it only federal?

As far as crime rates and gun laws - dude I live in Houston Texas. Maybe its not up on par with L.A. but there is definitely alot of crime here.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
WOW - $800 registration!! Thats insane! In texas its $65 a year no matter what you drive.

My main driver for living there will be school. I am aiming to get into Berkeley for my grad degree and plan to work full time and go to school on the weekends. So at a minimum I will be in Cali for about 2-3 years. Whether or not I decide to stay there depends on what opportunities come my way after school. I don't think property tax will come into play for me at first since I am planning on renting rather than buying until I figure out what my long term plans are.

Another question - does California charge a state income tax, or is it only federal?

As far as crime rates and gun laws - dude I live in Houston Texas. Maybe its not up on par with L.A. but there is definitely alot of crime here.
We do get charged state income tax.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

CA state income tax is nearly 10% if I'm not mistaken.

I still love California though.

Been in Florida about 6 years and so far there are only 2 things I like better in Florida than California

1. No State Income Tax
2. Amazing beaches (never cared much about beaches until I had kids, now we love the beach)

Everything else, California is hands down better. Even with their financial problems or whatever political issues, California is just a beautiful state. Unless you live in Bakersfield or Stockton or something. Don't live in Bakersfield or Stockton.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Worst city to have a car. The amount of bumper scratches you will accumulate over a few months will make it look like wolverine took his claws to them.

I once saw a young black woman trying to park on an incline near Nob Hill. She literally plowed into the car parked lower on the incline making both cars visibly jump into the air, and then casually drove slightly up the hill, set the parking brake, and took off to where ever she was going.
If you have a car worth caring about, you can afford to never park on the street. Parkng spots run $300-400/mo to rent or $80-100K to buy, depending on where.

While I don't live in SF, I work in downtown SF and commute daily, plus go out in downtown 2 or 3 weekends a month...all my cars are still perfect. At work I park in a garage, and there are plenty of garages when you are out enjoying the night-life.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Eh, actually living in S.F and commuting in are very different situations.

Also, $400 a month, or $100,000 to buy a parking spot is pretty ridiculous just so your car won't turn into a bumper car on the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

So do many of you use the public transportation out there? Or you prefer to drive into work?

How far is SF from Menlo Park?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Eh, actually living in S.F and commuting in are very different situations.

Also, $400 a month, or $100,000 to buy a parking spot is pretty ridiculous just so your car won't turn into a bumper car on the street.
True and true.

Quote:
So do many of you use the public transportation out there? Or you prefer to drive into work?

How far is SF from Menlo Park?
I've lived 20 miles south of SF since birth and have taken public transit twice my entire life. I chose to drive. I work in the financial district and parking in my building is $415/mo (I might be grandfathered in to that rate...perhaps it's since gone up). You're in tech so all the tech companies are close by downtown, either near Embarcadero or SOMA/South Beach, so expect the cost of parking to be similar.

SF and Menlo Park are about 30 miles apart. Without any traffic at all, it's a hair over 30 mins to drive. During commute times, expect 90 minutes or more. The Peninsula is very easy to navigate with two main freeways running north/south and three highways connecting them from east/west every 10 miles or so. Highway 101 is hell during commute as it runs along all the major corporations up and down the Peninsula and SFO airport. The other freeway, 280, is more scenic which runs along the east side of the coastal mountains, rarely ever has traffic (between San Bruno and Los Altos) aside from peak commute time, but isn't as efficient distance wise.

Last edited by F32; 10-10-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
i'll repeat it again. glen park will be perfect for you. rent isn't too crazy, and parking is plentiful. its right next to bart (bay area rapid transit) which will take you directly to the mission, downtown, and Berkeley. its close to the freeway so you have a more direct route to Menlo park. its perfect for you and your car. you can go out and have fun without worrying about parking and driving home afterwards. its the best.

I live in SF, and my car doesn't have any bumper scratches from parking, but I also rarely park in downtown. I just take public transportation down there when I go.

Last edited by i dunno; 10-10-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

100k and single ull be ok
100K+ gf who doesn't work = no good
100K+ family?= poor as hell

rent in sf is expensive very expensive and as others mentioned, driving sucks there, I suggest u live CLOSE to sf so you can go when you want to but u can escape it when you need to as well
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Great suggestions above. Good community and culture in the East Bay as well (Oakland, Emeryville, Piedmont, and Alameda). If you live in SF, look at the Sunset or places west of Stanyon Street.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
Great suggestions above. Good community and culture in the East Bay as well (Oakland, Emeryville, Piedmont, and Alameda). If you live in SF, look at the Sunset or places west of Stanyon Street.
and glen park/sunnyside
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

East Bay rents are getting a lot higher. Even "cheap" Oakland rents are rising pretty fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
100k and single ull be ok
100K+ gf who doesn't work = no good
100K+ family?= poor as hell

rent in sf is expensive very expensive and as others mentioned, driving sucks there, I suggest u live CLOSE to sf so you can go when you want to but u can escape it when you need to as well
I'm single and don't plan on bringing a girlfriend with me lol. (you dont bring sand to the beach haha).

I was offered a job about a year ago in Menlo Park paying around $120K but I didn't accept it at the time for reasons unknown lol.. I'm thinking I can easily get another offer like that if the market is good, which it looks to be that way.

I have a little less than a year to figure it all out. I will be applying to Berkeley in November and they should have an answer by January. That gives me 6 months to find a job, apartment, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
I'm single and don't plan on bringing a girlfriend with me lol. (you dont bring sand to the beach haha).

I was offered a job about a year ago in Menlo Park paying around $120K but I didn't accept it at the time for reasons unknown lol.. I'm thinking I can easily get another offer like that if the market is good, which it looks to be that way.

I have a little less than a year to figure it all out. I will be applying to Berkeley in November and they should have an answer by January. That gives me 6 months to find a job, apartment, etc.
you'll be fine with 120K r u applying to berkely for grad school? i'm actually applying to some schools in texas for grad school right now, we'll possibly be trading states
Appreciate 0