E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 3 days in Colorado

07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
Rookie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I just got back from my first trip to denver not too long ago and stayed in downtown. The first couple of days were a blur , but on the 3rd day we rented a suv and took off for the mountains. Had no idea where we were going and didnt really care. The views are amazing and enough to keep us driving around for 8 hours. Ended up in estes park and then on to rocky mountain national park. Pretty cool experience and probably the best part of the trip.

Last edited by Rookie; 07-08-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
I have a feeling this is the groups mission...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Denver sucks IMO. I think it's an ugly city. Get out to Boulder and Breckenridge.

How exactly does it suck? Denver is the gateway to the Rockies. Having those mountains in our backyard gives us access to world class skiing among other outdoor activities. Those mountains also have some great driver's roads. We have breweries galore with some of the best beer around, and of course now, the legal weed. Colorado is also the fittest state in the nation (the only state under 20% obesity rate), so there are a lot of attractive girls around Denver.

I'm not sure why you think it is ugly, though that is subjective.
      07-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Serious suggestions:
At the end of the month the Broncos have training camp at Sports Authority Field. It'd be cool to check that out
http://www.sportsauthorityfieldatmilehigh.com/

This sounds like it's pretty cool and falls at the end of the month:
http://www.denverbrewfest.com/

Fort Collins Brewery Tour:
http://www.budweisertours.com/z01/in...lins/overview/

US Mint:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/?ac...artreservation

RedRocks:
http://redrocksonline.com/concerts-events/listing
Abba, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Dierks Bentley are all playing at the end of the month (dont know you music tastes)

Other stuff:
http://www.denver.org/events/

http://calendar.denverpost.com/denve...er+events+july

Here's the 411 on the 420:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/07/0.../‎Cached

TripAdvisor Suggestions
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

Last edited by 954Stealth; 07-08-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #27
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
How exactly does it suck? Denver is the gateway to the Rockies. Having those mountains in our backyard gives us access to world class skiing among other outdoor activities. Those mountains also have some great driver's roads. We have breweries galore with some of the best beer around, and of course now, the legal weed. Colorado is also the fittest state in the nation (the only state under 20% obesity rate), so there are a lot of attractive girls around Denver.

I didn't say Colorado sucks - I said Denver sucks. Cool, there's some breweries and weed. What else? I have an aunt/uncle there, and the whole area around their house (sorry, can't remember the name) is just old and industrial looking. Also driving down Colfax IIRC isn't the prettiest. I did go to a cool distillery, Stranahan's, but it appeared to be in the ghetto/unwalkable.

Last edited by PSUSMU; 07-08-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #28
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
I didn't say Colorado sucks - I said Denver sucks. Cool, there's some breweries and weed. What else? I have an aunt/uncle there, and the whole area around their house (sorry, can't remember the name) is just old and industrial looking. Also driving down Colfax IIRC isn't the prettiest. I did go to a cool distillery, Stranahan's, but it appeared to be in the ghetto/unwalkable.

Well, every city does have their crappy areas, be it in looks and/or demographics. If you want attractive, walkable parts of town, go to Lower Downtown, Riverfront, Highlands, Cherry Creek, or Washington Park to name a few. Stranahan's is in an industrial warehouse district, so yeah, it's not an attrractive part of town. Their whiskey is tasty, but I now prefer Breckenridge Distillery's whiskey.

Colfax is the go-to street for all of your drug and hooker needs, though sections of it are slowly becoming nicer parts of town. Random fact, Colfax is the longest continous street in the US.
      07-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #30
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
I just got back from my first trip to denver not too long ago and stayed in downtown. The first couple of days were a blur , but on the 3rd day we rented a suv and took off for the mountains. Had no idea where we were going and didnt really care. The views are amazing and enough to keep us driving around for 8 hours. Ended up in estes park and then on to rocky mountain national park. Pretty cool experience and probably the best part of the trip.
i've heard good things about rocky mountain national park.. your comment was pretty much what i had in mind
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post

I go to Denver for work every 6 weeks or so and frankly do not enjoy it either. Don't like the airport but had a bad experience with Frontier airlines there once and that has jaded me. I'll often trade my 3 days in Denver for any other hell hole in the world with coworkers that seem to like it. Just me, I have several friends that live around/outside Denver though even as far as Salida just Denver the city no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #32
Antisthenes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Automobile

Rocky Mountain National Park is worth the drive, Trail Ridge Road specifically. Check out Estes Park on the way too, it's better in winter but it's still be gorgeous now. On the flip side, since it is not winter you can drive most anywhere in RMNP, including the 14,000 foot elevation overlooks that are normally closed in winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #33
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I'll be flying in to Colorado (city is yet to be decided) for a good three days (fri, sat, sun) at the end of this month. I'll be with a group of friends. This will be my first time in Colorado.

Anyone have any good suggestions on what to do, like say site seeing or hiking.. I'm pretty much down for anything.

Thanks.
Rocky Mountain National Park is awesome. But not on Saturday or Sunday in late July. Crowded beyond belief. Motorhomes.

If you choose to go anyway, find someplace to hike. Even a 1/4 mile from the parking lots cuts the crowd down enough so you can actually appreciate what's there. Take it easy and drink lots of water. The altitude will get to you.

Or stay overnight in Estes Park, and do Trail Ridge Road in the early morning, before the crowds get too bad. 10AM is too late.

If you have the bucks, Aspen in summer is nicer. Mountains (take the gondola), hikes, great restaurants. Windowshop museum quality art. Plenty of people, but not a zoo.

It's not a day trip, even though the mileage looks short. About 3-1/2 to 5 hours drive from Denver, depending on the route and stops. The obvious loop through Leadville and Glenwood Springs is a very nice drive, with things to see and do on the route. You can fly into Aspen, but the drive is a far better choice.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-13-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0