E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > bay area members - please help!

07-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

bay area members - please help!

I have decided to pull the trigger on a major life change.

I have accepted a position in the Bay area and will be relocating within the next 3 weeks. The job itself is in Emeryville - but I have not yet made a decision on where I want to live.

The practical side of me tells me to stay in the East Bay area (Berkeley?) To avoid parking woes, tolls, less than ideal rent cost, and long commutes in and out of the city.

The younger, impulsive side of me tells me to stay somewhere in the city to truly enjoy all that SF has to offer - but I'd be making some serious sacrifices (listed above).

This decision is even harder to make from 2000 miles away where my only view is from behind a computer screen and speaking to property representatives that have never even seen the property I'm inquiring about. And any one that lives there knows that each area in SF is unique in its own way, with some that you want to avoid completely - making this process very cumbersome.

What would you recommend? Is Berkeley a nice place to be? How long is the commute into the city via public transport?

Also I found a new property that I really like (from the website) that is in Berkeley and meet's all my needs but I have no insight into the surrounding area. Is there anyone that lives in this area that can give any feedback? The place I'm talking about is called Avalon Berkeley and it's located on 651 Addison Street, Berkeley, CA.

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/Apa...s_short_info/1

I'm even thinking of just signing a 6 month lease in a place like this so that I can comfortably find my permanent spot without having to rush.

Any help here would be very helpful
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Berkeley I feel is too liberal/hippie. I wouldn't live in SF because it's too expensive. I don't know of all the cities around Emeryville so I can't really say. But you could always stay in a neighboring city and do a 15-20 minute commute. I live in Milpitas but don't know much about the north bay. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Congrats on the new job though!! How exciting!!
Appreciate 0