E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 won't rev, no codes and out of ideas

11-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
whatsmymark
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i N52

N52 won't rev, no codes and out of ideas

Hello All,

I've been reading these forums for a while but never had to make a post until now...

My flywheel blew apart on my 2006 325i (MT w/ N52), so I replaced the clutch and flywheel myself. With my flywheel breaking, it also took out my starter, so I replaced that as well. When I was working on the starter, I guess I broke the connector for the Crank Position Sensor. Connector Depinned itself (and broke off a portion which i didnt notice) so I repinned the connector and tried it; Hard started badly, CPS code thrown, Brake light on, Traction light on (all symptons of CPS). I repinned with the wires reversed because I wasn't sure the original orientation, but it definitely ran worse this way. I flipped the wires back and tried again, clearing codes before trying. It hard started but not as aggressive, engine light was gone but still had Brake and Traction lights on. I was able to drive around for about 20 minutes with only minor power loss. Left the car overnight and first thing in the morning CPS code was there.

At this point I decided to splice a new CPS connector from my spare wire harness that I have from my old parts car. Took the time to solder the wires very nice and clean, I read on another forum that someone else broke this connector and spliced a new one and lived happily ever after. So I tried this. connected the new harness to the sensor, and the car started on a dime! No hard starting, No engine lights, No Traction Lights, No Brake lights. I let it idle and it was consistent, life was good! I went to test drive it and the damn thing will rev to about 2500 RPM, and fall on its face after that. Highest Ive been able to rev is 4200 RPM which only happens at half throttle, when full throttle the RPM drop even worse.

I have read up with this issue possibly being limp mode, but no codes. I saw it may be related to ABS, or MAF but neither of which were posing any issues before, not to mention the car drove the day before I spliced the wire (transmission work performance flawlessly, shifts and releases properly). I unplugged the new CPS harness and it did not correct the limited revs.

I swapped out MAFs, but nothing changed, I unplugged my MAF and nothing changed. Makes me thing its like a Ghost MAF issue but a new sensor and unplugging the sensor didnt change a thing.. still no codes either.

Now before being asked, I have not scanned it with a BMW PA 1.4 scanner (I know I should but I don't have access to one).

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!? I've been trouble shooting for some time now and figured it must be past my knowledge, but hopefully within someone else's! SOS I need this car for winter and snow is coming fast up in Canada!
Appreciate 0