E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Speeding Violation

03-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Exclamation Speeding Violation

Hi guys tonight i just got my first speeding ticket ever.

I was going 55 in a 45 zone and it happened on a local road at 11:00pm.

I was going down about 3 blocks from a restaurant to the highway ramp. and i was pulled over right at the ramp so i stopped on the local road.

The officer said that its going to be like 4 points. The ticket does not show any monetary fine or points. it is like old fax-paper finish and only says the court date and what my violation was. When the cop pulled me over he said, "do you know why you were stopped?" i replied, "no." and then he said, "Do you know you were doing 55 in a 40 and then you were doing 50 in a 30?" i said, "no. i'm not familiar with this area." He then asked for my registration and stuff. On the ticket it also says my last comment "no im not..."

so, for all the speed-demon know hows, what do you suggest i do. plead guilty? take pictures of the distance from the restaurant to the highway ramp? (because i have never been in that area and i didnt see any speed limit signs and i was basically trying to follow the stupid i-drive that gave reall crappy directions on a badly-scaled map). seek a lawyer? Also, one of my friend says 4 points is BS, is that too high? any help please. i have no experience with speeding tickets.
      03-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Kidnap his dog, it's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
Sounds like he was a PURE azz. Depending on the amount of the ticket. Sometimes it not worth paying all the court costs ect. I would however take the driving school on-line and stop the points. Good luck.
there was no amount of fine on the ticket, nor did it say how many points i would get. it only said the court date.
what does this driving school do? it stops the points? how?

i've never had a speeding ticket; I'm 20 and i've only had my liscense for 4 years. never encountered a moving violation, or parking violation for that matter.
      03-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
the fine isnt usually writtin on the citation the cops give you. not sure how NY works, but over here..i've recived tickets..just like udescribed. i get either something in the mail b4 my court date..or i go in to the court the ticket says..and they tell me my fine and what i want to do there. either contest (fight it) pay the total fine..and take traffic school. traffic basically takes the ticktet off your recored. over here u can only go once every 18 months. either online or take a single day class. (which are usualy boring watch videos all day and share ticket stories, talk bout driving) and the online class is just a bunch of little tests...either route u can take pics of the road and show how there was no posted speedlimit and fight it..or pay the fine and go to school.
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

if i contest and lose, will i still have the option to take the classes and pay the fine and not have points?

also, whered u get the black/white logos?
      03-27-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
You should, but your out the court costs.
lemme make this more clear. there are no court costs because i must goto court either way, thats what it says on the ticket. it has no monetary fine on it, or points. i am not convicted of anything, remember the term "innocent until proven guilty" ? it is only if i am convicted do i pay any fine. the reason people just plead guilty is because they do not want to dedicate the time to go to court at 9am in the morning. but i am a student and im not missing out on work/money to goto court.
      03-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball

I was going down about 3 blocks from a restaurant to the highway ramp. and i was pulled over right at the ramp so i stopped on the local road.

The officer said that its going to be like 4 points. The ticket does not show any monetary fine or points. it is like old fax-paper finish and only says the court date and what my violation was. When the cop pulled me over he said, "do you know why you were stopped?" i replied, "no." and then he said, "Do you know you were doing 55 in a 40 and then you were doing 50 in a 30?" i said, "no. i'm not familiar with this area." He then asked for my registration and stuff. On the ticket it also says my last comment "no im not..."

so, for all the speed-demon know hows, what do you suggest i do. plead guilty? take pictures of the distance from the restaurant to the highway ramp? (because i have never been in that area and i didnt see any speed limit signs and i was basically trying to follow the stupid i-drive that gave reall crappy directions on a badly-scaled map). seek a lawyer? Also, one of my friend says 4 points is BS, is that too high? any help please. i have no experience with speeding tickets.
Were you familiar with the area? Did you know that you were speeding? If the answer to either is yes, you might have caught a break if you asked for forgiveness telling the officer that this was the first time ever that you had been stopped for the offense (truth?) and pledged to watch your speed in the future. Most police officers will issue a warning or preach a sermon to first offenders if they are contrite and forthright.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Sounds like you got a grumpy cop near the end of his shift. Probably had a crappy day - oh, and they HATE BMWs. If you're really young, forget about it - he hated you because you're a spolied punk. <== I'm not saying you are, just what he probably thought.

Cops are people too - which means a large percentage of them can be asswipes.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Go to Court! explain to the judge these things

1. this is your first ticket -most like they would be ez on you and have you just pay fine and not points

2. take the driver's ed online, before the courts order you to, if they do, 5 points earn doesnt count. even if yu do and found guilty you are ahead of the game.

3. go trace back your drive and make sure there was not signs to be obeserved.

4. the best that could happen, cop doesnt show up, and yur ticket is free

points normally are under 20 miles over speed limit is 4 points, any thing over is reckless w/c is 6 points, plus can take you to jail and impound your car!

good luck!
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
GG_The_Fly
U2Fanatic
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
there was no amount of fine on the ticket, nor did it say how many points i would get. it only said the court date.
what does this driving school do? it stops the points? how?

i've never had a speeding ticket; I'm 20 and i've only had my liscense for 4 years. never encountered a moving violation, or parking violation for that matter.
That's impressive -- good for you! I haven't had a speeding ticket in like 6 years, but i definitely had a few in my teens and early twenties!

ALWAYS use the 'ive never had a moving violation' line if it's true - it can get the speed bumped down. . . in my experience, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Kidnap his dog, it's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Courting Ticket

I agree. Check out the route. Chances are there were a few signs which you may have missed while using your nav system. Since you're not missing work, go to court and be contrite. Dress nicely and be respectful. They'll likely go easy on you.

If you're nice to them they'll see a "kid who drove a little too fast in Daddy's car". If you're contentious and belligerent, then you're the "spoiled punk in the Bimmer" who can afford the fine and needs to be taught a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

UPDATE on the ticket: i went back today to the restaurant and headed to the highway from the restaurant. there is not a single speed limit sign until the highway ramp where i got pulled over.
      03-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sounds like you might have a good chance with the "I've never been to the area and was unaware of the speed limit there" defense. Good luck.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0