E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

04-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
z4drvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4

Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

My girlfriend and I are considering a cruise and I'm just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences or suggestions for certain ports.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I've heard both suck and the better choice is princess.

Just what I've heard tho.
      04-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

I've only been on one cruise and it was carvinal, just went on it about 3-4 months ago, had a great time! nothing fancy but it wasn't bad either
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I went on a Norwegian Cruise and it was awesome! Carnival is crap, I've heard so from anyone who has gone on them and I went on a Royal cruise many years ago and it was nothing compared to Norwegian.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I've done a couple with Royal Caribbean and I've been very pleased. I've seen carnival boats in ports and they always seem to be a bit louder and younger, but Ive also never felt out of place RCCL. As for ports, You should probably say where you're looking (Caribbean, Mexico, Mediterranean etc) since there are hundreds across the globe

I remember a business school case where Carnival said very few guests took a second cruise with them, as if these folks liked cruising but didn't like carnival enough so they instead opted for another cruise line and it was a real problem converting them to repeat cruises. That may say something about the company, but that was also probably 10-15 years ago and things may have changed
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

A lot of it depends on your age, where you're going, and what your expectations are on the cruise ship. Do you want shows? Do you drink? Do you drink a lot? Do you like clubs? Do you gamble? Do you want to shop on boat? Do you want to shop at a 4 story mall on the boat? etc.

Your asking of suggestions on ports also depends on the same questions above. How can we suggest a port if we know absolutely nothing about what you like to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4drvr View Post
My girlfriend and I are considering a cruise and I'm just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences or suggestions for certain ports.
Forget Carnival, they suck ass. Royal Caribbean nickels and dimes you for thing you ask for. Norwegian is awesome. I will never try another cruise line again. BTW, check out cruise.com to catch a good deal. Never buy directly from the cruise lines. you will end up paying waaaay more than you have too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

I just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas on their "Majesty of the Seas" ship. It was an "ok" experience. The cabins are super small. By small I mean, you can sit on the toilet and take a shower at the same time Lol. The idea is to spend most of your time doing things on the ship itself. And once it docks (Depending on where you're going) get off and experience the island. It my case it was CoCo Cay. The drinks are pricey! They give you a cruise card at check in and you need to link it with your credit card because they don't accept CC's on the ship. You can pretty much purchase anything from clothing to liquor. It's basically a floating city. It was my first time so that made it exciting. But I would probably never do it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
z4drvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
A lot of it depends on your age, where you're going, and what your expectations are on the cruise ship. Do you want shows? Do you drink? Do you drink a lot? Do you like clubs? Do you gamble? Do you want to shop on boat? Do you want to shop at a 4 story mall on the boat? etc.

Your asking of suggestions on ports also depends on the same questions above. How can we suggest a port if we know absolutely nothing about what you like to do?
Yes to all of the above LOL We are leaning towards Oasis of the Seas, going out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. So Keys, Mexico and Bahamas, St Thomas are options??
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Never been on Carnival. It is known as the 'party boat'.

Been on many RC. If you can swing it, get a suite. If you go on Oasis or Allure, being a suite guest save you from lining up for the shows. You just walk up to the reserved seating area. I would try chef's table also. For $100 each, great meal with wine pairing.

I found all the ports are the same after a while. St. Martin, Aruba, Bonaire I liked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

what's so bad about carnival? like I said I've only been on carnival so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

My SO/GF/Wifey loves to cruise, she's been on a dozen or so. I've been on 4. 1 Carnival, 2 RCCL, 1 Norwegian. The Norwegian was to Alaska older crowd older crowd designation, nice and quiet classy; Carnival was out of NO to Western Caribe in a nutshell did not like boat was not that well equipped staff could not have given a damn but was a party; 2 RCCL one to West Caribe one to Mexican Riv both nice boats Oasis and Freedom clean friendly staff. Going again in June Oasis again but East Caribe. Order I went was Norwegian first then RCCL Mex, Then Carnival then back RCCL. Personally I prefer RCCL, Norwegian was very nice but cost much more and a bit more mature and quiet. Helps my girl is an Anchor Society or whatever RCCL's top tier is we get freebies and no lines. I echo others to me it's all about the ports. We got into this stalemate with her family as her brother has kids(mine are adults) 14 to 17 and they all want the biggest best equipped boat and we want good ports. We settled on this years cruise to the ports we wanted and they had to pay a bit more. We own a timeshare with SPG so we book via them and get member rates plus her discounts for being on 9 cruises with RCCL. Shop around you can good eals if diligent.
Oh and ports I like were Grand Cayman, Turks, PR and Cozumel. Jamaica was nice once have a buddy who lives there been befroe cruising there. Only port I really did not like ever was Labidee(Haiti). Don't particularly care for the ports owned by the lines think that's a gimick to me.

Last edited by Bobble; 04-11-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
what's so bad about carnival? like I said I've only been on carnival so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on lol
See above the one I went one the boat was not very nice(IE dirty stuff in hallways for hours public areas crowded and not picked up), staff could not have a gave a damn waited forever in lines but was a non stop party. I prefer a mix of party, features and down time but I'm older and already raged enough to kill 3 of you in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Royal Carribean has rotavirus and Carnival has Norwalk virus. Take your pick.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
SpineDoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 750 Li

I've found Carnival's experience to be OK, but after my first cruise I learned that I'm not too particular about cruises in general. It's a glorified spa on the sea. My wife or I can get the "spa" experience on land for a fraction of the price. I don't think being on the sea adds much to the experience. However, I'd say it's worth doing at least once. It can be something to check off your bucket list, if nothing else.

Best,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have been on 5 different cruise and will be going on my 6th one next month (Celebrity Solstice). I went on 2 Princess, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity.

Carnival is for younger folks that likes to party and drink. Princess and Celebrity on the other hand was filled with older folks that are retired. There is literally nothing to do after 10PM because everyone goes to sleep. NCL is more in the middle. It has a mix of older and mid aged.

IMO, Princess or Celebrity is the best in terms of food, service, and quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I have been on 5 different cruise and will be going on my 6th one next month (Celebrity Solstice). I went on 2 Princess, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity.

Carnival is for younger folks that likes to party and drink. Princess and Celebrity on the other hand was filled with older folks that are retired. There is literally nothing to do after 10PM because everyone goes to sleep. NCL is more in the middle. It has a mix of older and mid aged.

IMO, Princess or Celebrity is the best in terms of food, service, and quality.
I have heard the exact same things from people that work who have gone on a kazillion cruises. Royal, princess, celebrity and NCL are the way to go. Go with Carnival if you want it cheap and like to party.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

MSC no better boat than the divina. I dont think there is really any argument to that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #19
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Royal Carribean has rotavirus and Carnival has Norwalk virus. Take your pick.
Beat me to it. I was gonna say it's a toss up on which virus you want.

Last cruise I took was on the NCL ship Norway, which has since been run aground in Alang, India and scrapped. The new ships are a whole different world from the Norway.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #20
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

interesting topic... how abt royal caribbean vs crystal cruise?

http://www.chaaky.com/chaaky/30
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have not been on a cruise since I was a kid. However I have always heard Carnival was like bottom of the barrel.

Personally I just don't see the appeal of cruises. I have been to a many of the ports they go to in the Caribbean/Mexico and honestly they are not THAT different. Plus you only get a day or so at each place. I would much rather hit up one of the all-inclusive resorts in Mexico or what not. Don't have to deal with sea sickness (I get sick real easy) larger selection of restaurants, booze included, nice spacious rooms, virus free and if you are into sight seeing you can always go out to the city and explore.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

In the mid 90's as a kid we did two carnivals. Not bad. in '10 & '11 my wife and I did the Allure and liberty (RC). Awsome. I cannot convince my wife to get on a carnival boat. She says they look a floating 80's Miami vice party barge. Need we say more. I like RC, no complaints.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0