E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix D'Italia

08-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix D'Italia

Race Date: 08 Sep 2013

Round 12 of the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship sees the paddock journey to one of the most historic circuits on the calendar - the high-speed heaven that is Monza. Those involved in the Formula 1 Gran Premio d'Italia 2013 discuss their prospects for the coming weekend…

Circuit Name: Autodromo di Monza
First Grand Prix: 1950
Number of Laps: 53
Circuit Length: 5.793 km
Race Distance: 306.720 km
Lap Record: 1:21.046 - R Barrichello (2004)

Last year Vettel DNF'ed due to an alternator issue
Grosjean was not allowed to race @ Monza due to Spa incident
Lewis Hamilton won

Lotus is introducing a longer wheelbase version of their car
and we might hear Red Bull's driver announcement (hopefully) Edit: Well, we know now that it is Ricciardo

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 6th, 2012 Race - 22nd
“Monza is the fastest circuit of the year. The track itself is in principle only made up of straights and chicanes. Because of this we reach the fastest top speed of the year at Monza, getting up to 330 km/h. The acceleration through the Parabolica is a balancing act - if you make the smallest error then you will slide straight into the gravel before you know it.

“This track brings back great memories for me, mainly from my first win there in 2008 with Toro Rosso. I can’t describe the feeling of standing on the top of the podium for the first time, and Monza was one of the best places to experience it because of the thousands of passionate fans that stand beneath, it gives you goose bumps.

Mark Webber, Red Bull
2012 Qualifying - 11th, 2012 Race - 20th
“I like Monza a lot because it’s very Formula One in terms of its history and its atmosphere. All of the greats have raced there and I have an affinity with Italians from my Minardi days. The track is one of a kind, it’s an incredibly fast circuit with high top speeds, so there’s a lot of heavy braking. Monza has never been that kind to me; I’ve had a few retirements and have never finished on the podium, so I want to get a good result there this year!

“The Tifosi really make the atmosphere of the weekend, they go ballistic and they’re very passionate about a certain red team. They will climb anything to get a good view: they sit in trees, on billboards and after the second Lesmo they sit on the old banking with their feet hanging over the barrier. Overall, Monza is one of the races that I recommend people go to.”

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus
2012 Qualifying - 8th, 2012 Race - 5th
“It’s true that I have never won in Italy. For one reason or another things just haven’t worked out for me, but it doesn’t mean I can’t drive the track. Just because I have not won at a circuit in the past it doesn’t mean that I won’t win or get a good result there in the future. It is true that I have previously had some very competitive weekends there - once or twice I have been close to the win - but something has always gone wrong. Hopefully we will have a real chance to fight for that victory this time.

“Monza’s a historical place with a unique design where we achieve very high speeds. It’s a real challenge for everyone to be running so fast and a really good feeling in the car. It’s the home of the Tifosi and there will be a lot of Finnish fans there too. The atmosphere is just out of reach for every other Grand Prix. It’s great to go there with everything working well in your car and see how quickly you can go. It’s the place where we go really, really fast.

“Monza always gives a great challenge. It’s so different compared with the more modern circuits as the layout means the car needs to be set up differently. To go fast at Monza you need a car that is good aerodynamically, stable over the kerbs, and has a strong engine as we are using full throttle for most of the lap. I think we should be pretty good in those areas, but we won’t know exactly how good until we get out on track.

“It’s a unique circuit with the high speeds achieved there and everyone will be running the lowest level of downforce we see all year. Low downforce has not always been the best for our car, but the factory has been working hard to get more speed and stability for us with some changes to the car. Let’s wait and see how the car goes on Friday morning and then we’ll have a better idea of what can be achieved.”

Romain Grosjean, Lotus
2012 Qualifying - n/a, 2012 Race - n/a
“It’s a race I wasn’t allowed to contest last season and as a racing driver all you want to do is race, so I can’t wait to take to the track for the first time in practice on Friday morning. It’s a very historic venue; a beautiful circuit in a fantastic location and racing there is always great. It’s a special feeling when you are blasting through the park along the Monza straights, and there are so many really enthusiastic fans there. I have to admit, though, it’s not only the racing I’m looking forward to as Italian cuisine is superb. I’ll be visiting a couple of restaurants during my stay…

“For the designers, you need to have a car that’s very slippery through the air. Then for the engineers, you have to make the correct decision on gearing to make the most of the slippery car and engine power along the straights. For the
river in the car, there are a couple of heavy braking areas where you are slowing from the highest speeds of the year, so you have to be careful to get your braking right otherwise you can overshoot the corner. You see that quite a few times over the weekend.

“It can be quite hot there sometimes and it can be hard on the tyres. Considering that this is where we seem to have an advantage with our car, let’s hope for both! You use the kerbs quite a bit, which looks good on the slow motion cameras but you certainly know about it in the car! Basically, it’s a pretty great track.”

Sergio Perez, McLaren
2012 Qualifying - 13th, 2012 Race - 2nd
“Monza is probably the most beautiful circuit in Formula One - it’s just so historic; from the moment you arrive, you can feel it’s just different from any other place we visit. In fact, I had one of my best races in Formula One at Monza last year - everything came right on Sunday afternoon, I looked after the tyres beautifully and overtook Fernando Alonso on my way to finishing second, which equals my best-ever result in the sport. That was a fantastic day.

Caterham have confirmed that Heikki Kovalainen will drive for the team during first practice in both Belgium and Italy.

Kovalainen, who raced for Caterham for three seasons between 2010 and 2012, will get behind the wheel of Charles Pic’s Renault-powered CT03 during FP1 at Spa, before taking over Giedo van der Garde’s car at Monza.

Caterham say that the work the experienced Finn will conduct will mirror that he did during similar runs for the team in Bahrain and Spain earlier in the season.

Here is Jean-Eric Verne doing wheelies at last year's Monza:

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-04-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sorry E90Slam! I just realized you've been posting all these...didn't mean to steal your routine
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
My favorite race on the calendar
      09-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88
And yet it's one of the shortest in terms of race time...
      09-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
Sorry E90Slam! I just realized you've been posting all these...didn't mean to steal your routine
Must be my summer vacation!!! LOL!!!
      09-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

E90SLAM,
Would you happen to know where are the 2 DRS Zones for Monza?
I love the details you post, and I always look forward to your pictures.

RIC is officially announced as VET's partner for next year.
http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ry/122971.html
      09-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Bring on the weekend!

Also good to hear Riciardo to join Vet in 2014!

I can't wait for Melbourne 2014, go Aussie!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Yes 2 DRS zones in Monza.
Attached Images

09-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Monaco is my favorite - this one is a close second

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Must be my summer vacation!!! LOL!!!
haha

Good question about the DRS zones. Should be interesting action in the DRS zones in 2014 with the new engines' turbos and KERS
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's the full timetable
http://www.monzanet.it/get/2924/1923...2013114016.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

P1 - Alonso
P2 - Tender Vettels
P3 - Nico

Kimi finishes P5. Massa retires. I sure wish BMW still had an entry out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
great track, love the small wing set up
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Italian Grand Prix - did you know? 04 Sep 2013 Did you know that having hosted all but one Italian Grand Prix since 1950, Monza is the most visited circuit in Formula One history? Ahead of the Formula 1 Gran Premio d’Italia 2013, we present a compendium of other fascinating facts and figures about the race….

• The Italian Grand Prix has been run 63 times previously, all but once at Monza. The only exception was the 1980 race which was held at Imola, a track more commonly associated with the San Marino Grand Prix.

• Monza was one of seven tracks on the original world championship calendar in 1950. Three others are still on the calendar: Silverstone, Monaco and Spa-Francorchamps.

• The first world championship race at Monza, in 1950, was run on a circuit that was broadly similar in shape to today’s, minus the chicanes. However, on four occasions (1955, 1956, 1960, 1961) a 10-kilometre track incorporating both the road circuit and the banked oval track was used. Since 1962, the Grand Prix has been held exclusively on the road course. Chicanes were introduced in 1972 to slow the cars and have remained ever since, albeit with several revisions.

• Michael Schumacher holds the record for the most Italian Grand Prix wins - five. The German is just one ahead of Nelson Piquet who won the race twice for Brabham and twice for Williams.

• Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel have the best records of any current driver on Italian soil, having both won at Monza twice. Vettel’s 2008 victory was the first victory of his Formula One career and saw him surpass Alonso as the youngest winner in F1 history at 21 years, 2 months and 11 days old. The day before he’d surpassed another Alonso record by becoming the youngest polesitter ever.

• Much to the tifosi’s joy, home favourites Ferrari are the most successful team in Italian Grand Prix history. Scarlet cars have accumulated 18 wins, 45 other podiums and 19 poles on home soil. The Scuderia’s last Italian Grand Prix win came with Fernando Alonso in 2010.

• In contrast to Ferrari’s dominance in Italy, Monza has been a bit of a bogey track for Red Bull. Surprisingly the triple world champions have only recorded one podium in Italy (Vettel’s victory in 2011) since their inception in 2005 - the same as sister team Toro Rosso (whose podium was also down to Vettel, in 2008). In the same period Ferrari have seven podiums and McLaren, eight.

• The 2005 Italian Grand Prix is notable for being one of only four world championship races in history in which there were no retirements. 20 cars started - and finished - the race.

• Everyone knows Monza is fast, in fact it was the scene of the fastest Grand Prix ever in 2003 when Ferrari’s Michael Schumacher completed the race at an average speed of 247.585 km/h (153.842 mph). The same race was also the shortest full-duration race in F1 history, lasting only 1 hour 14 minutes and 19.838 seconds.

• The fastest pole-position lap in F1 history was also recorded at Monza, also in a Ferrari. This time it was set by Schumacher’s team mate Rubens Barrichello, who completed his 2004 pole lap at an average of 260.395 km/h (161.802 mph).

• 82 Italian drivers have started at least one world championship Grand Prix.

• Two Italians have won the world championship - Nino Farina (winner of the inaugural title in 1950) and Alberto Ascari (in 1952 and 1953).

• Three Italians have won their home Grand Prix - Farina (who won the first world championship Italian Grand Prix in 1950), Ascari (‘51, ‘52) and Ludovico Scarfiotti (‘66).

• The last Italian driver to finish his home race on the podium was Giancarlo Fisichella in 2005.

• There have been no Italian drivers in F1 racing since Jarno Trulli parted company with Caterham before the 2012 season.

• Rubens Barrichello holds the lap record for Monza in its current configuration - 1m 21.046s, set in 2004 in a Ferrari.

• As well as being able to boast one of the oldest races on the calendar, Italy can also lay claim to the oldest Grand Prix winner of all time - Luigi Fagioli, who won the 1951 French Grand Prix aged 53 years and 22 days. The second-oldest winner also happens to be an Italian - Nino Farina, winner of the 1953 German Grand Prix aged 46 years nine months and three days.

• In the past ten races at Monza, the polesitter has been victorious eight times. However, historically Monza doesn’t favour the pole man. In fact, in the 62 previous world championship Grands Prix at the circuit, the pole sitter has been victorious on only 20 occasions. The longest period without a winner from pole in Italy was a 13-race stretch between 1974 and 1986.

• The lowest grid slot from which an Italian Grand Prix race winner has started is 11th - that was when BRM’s Peter Gethin recorded his only F1 win in 1971. You can read all about it here.

• Gethin was also involved in the closest finish in F1 history, an event that happened at Monza that same year - 1971. The British driver beat Ronnie Peterson across the line by just 0.01s and the first five cars were separated by just 0.61s.

• Force India’s Adrian Sutil made the only front-row start of his career to date in the 2009 Italian Grand Prix. He subsequently finished fourth in the race - his best F1 result to date.

• Of the last ten races at Monza, four have featured the safety car.

• The drivers’ championship has been clinched at Monza on 11 occasions, the most recent being by Ferrari’s Jody Scheckter in 1979. It’s mathematically impossible this year, of course…

• According to Mercedes, the drivers are on full throttle for an extremely high 77 percent of the lap distance. The longest time at full throttle is 16 seconds. Drivers make an average of 46 gear changes per lap, which equates to 2,438 gear changes over the 53-lap race.

• A number of milestones have been achieved at the Italian Grand Prix over the years:

- Two manufacturers and seven drivers secured their maiden F1 triumph on Italian soil: Maserati (with Juan Manuel Fangio in 1953), Toro Rosso (with Sebastian Vettel in 2008), Phil Hill (1960); Jackie Stewart (1965), Ludovico Scarfiotti (1966), Clay Regazzoni (1970), Peter Gethin (1971), Juan Pablo Montoya (2002) and Sebastian Vettel (2008).

- Italy has also witnessed numerous first-time polesitters: Phil Hill (1960), Wolfgang von Trips (1961), Mike Parkes (1966), Honda (1968), Jacques Laffite and Ligier (1976), Jean Alesi (1994), Sebastian Vettel and Toro Rosso (2008).

- A number of drivers have recorded race-start milestones at Monza: Graham Hill (1968), Jacky Ickx (1976), Elio de Angelis (1985), Michele Alboreto (1987) and Kimi Raikkonen (2006) all celebrated 100 race starts in Italy. Jacques Laffite (1984) and Thierry Boutsen (1992) both started their 150th races on Italian soil, whilst Nelson Piquet became the second member (after Riccardo Patrese) of F1 racing’s ‘200 club’ at Monza in 1991.

• And finally, whilst Kimi Raikkonen’s record point-scoring streak was halted at 27 with his DNF in Belgium, Ferrari can continue to edge ever closer to McLaren’s 64-race point-scoring record at Monza. They’re currently on 59 consecutive races with at least one car in the top ten…
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

^ If you are just going to COPY & PASTE, Give Proper Credit.

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2013/9/14932.html
      09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Jenson Button is looking for a "strong result" when he heads to Monza to tackle the challenges of the high-speed track.

Button is one of many experienced drivers who has yet to taste the victory champagne at Italy.

He has come close, though, several times, taking the runner-up position three years in a row, 2009 to 2011.

And although this year Button's chances of yet another Monza podium are slim given McLaren's woes, the Brit is still relishing the challenges that await next weekend.

"I've always loved Monza. I really enjoy circuits that have a bit of history to them, and Monza has that in abundance - it's one of the greatest tracks on the calendar," Button said.

"The place is unique: ever since we lost the 'old' Hockenheim, this has been the only place on the calendar where you run a really super-low downforce configuration.

"And you can feel it - the car accelerates up to speed incredibly quickly, feels skittish and loose when you're running flat-out, and can be tricky and unpredictable under braking.

"But that's what makes the place a special kind of challenge, and I really enjoy that.

"When you have the car hooked up beneath you, you get into a special kind of rhythm around Monza: you're going so fast that the whole lap just flows together. There's nowhere quite like it.

"So it's really appropriate that McLaren will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in the paddock over the Monza weekend.

"Both names are synonymous with motorsport history - you couldn't imagine Formula 1 without them - so I'll be hoping for a strong result to show the strength and depth that we have as a team."

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-04-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
^ If you are just going to COPY & PASTE, Give Proper Credit.

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2013/9/14932.html
No need to be an ass, and you should use proper MLA format. Everyone knows where to read the articles. I'd think in this thread it is common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
No need to be an ass, and you should use proper MLA format.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Everyone knows where to read the articles. I'd think in this thread it is common knowledge.
That's why I said what I said in the first place. I don't come here for the same articles.
      09-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, Ashtaron.

I lpersonally ike having the photos, the articles, the history, the youtube videos, etc all in one place. So even though you do not want to read the articles twice (you can just skip the post and go on to the next one), I will continue to post them for those who find it useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

09-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander