E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sport mode shuts off after 30 seconds. Please help.

09-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Sport mode shuts off after 30 seconds. Please help.

Hi All,

I tried a search and went through pages and pages of results but didn't find anything exactly like my situation.

If I am driving my car in 'D' and push the shifter to the left it should go into Sport Mode but it does not.

If I start my car and go immediately into Sport Mode it goes into Sport Mode just fine but switches back to 'D' after about 30 seconds to a minute.
While in sport mode I can manually shift the gears, etc..

If i try to go back into sport mode it will not unless I turn off the car, restart it and shift immediately into Sport. (then I get another 30 seconds) Just shifting into Park will not do it.

I have taken the console apart, exposed and rerouted the wires.... They are not broken or cracked. they seem fine except for the sticky residue from the tape. I even went back in a second time thinking I must have missed something.

Does anyone have an idea what I should check next?

I appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Sorry, car is a 2009 328xi.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Have you scanned it for codes at all with a scanner that can see bmw codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Hi, thanks for your reply.

i have scanned it with a generic scan tool but not something that can read BMW specific codes.

I have done a lot of searching since i posted. I found two similar situations. One the poster was told was caused by a tpms alert (tire pressure). I don't know if this proved true.
The other was caused by a non working cooling fan. fixing the fan also fixed the sport mode

Only alert I have right now is low washer fluid.....cant hurt to try topping it up i guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Have you scanned it for codes at all with a scanner that can see bmw codes?
Does this mean pay someone? Or are their scan tools available that can scan bmw codes?
Can you recommend one?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
The cheapest ways to scan your car are with a bimmergeeks kdcan cable and inpa which is free or with a BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and an android phone. I'd invest in one of these two as you'll need them in the future and won't have to be guessing and throwing parts. Good thing about these cars is they throw a code for any fault so diagnosing shouldn't be too hard.
Appreciate 1
MadJoe44.50
      09-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

What software do you recommend? i just looked up the two options. Looks like the BAFX is cheaper. comes down to software.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Benefit of the bafx is that you can use it anywhere and have the adapter in the car all the time. I used the bafx for a long time before getting inpa and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

what app do i need to use with the BAFX?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
You can use basically any android scanning app. The one I use the most is bmw deep obd because it scans very quickly and shows every code in the car like inpa. You can use carista and others to code stuff too.

Even if scanning it doesn't help with codes to solve this issue it's good to have the app as oftentimes these cars will have faults which don't trigger a warning light but are present like say incoming water pump failure
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

And any app will show the bmw codes that don't trigger a warning light?

Thanks for your help.

Il check out BMW Deep.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Grey Xi View Post
... If I am driving my car in 'D' and push the shifter to the left it should go into Sport Mode but it does not. If I start my car and go immediately into Sport Mode it goes into Sport Mode just fine but switches back to 'D' after about 30 seconds to a minute. While in sport mode I can manually shift the gears, etc...
Quote:
... car is a 2009 328xi.
SOMETHING is preventing your Steptronic Switch from working; perhaps E82 Gear Indicator Module.
Here is the TIS wiring diagram for the Steptronic Switch, S224a, for 2008 & later 328xi with GM6 AT:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lities/gLmdckV

Note that switch, S224a, essentially is essentially THREE (3) switches:
1) M-Gate: Left Gate, M/S, where you are in Sport Mode until you "Tipp" the Shift Lever forward or rearward;
2) Tipp+: Upshift, Shift Lever to Rear to select next HIGHER Gear;
3) Tipp-: Downshift, Shift Lever Forward to select next LOWER Gear;

Attached is the INPA Screen that allows you to see WHAT that switch is doing, INPA > EGS/GS1912 (for GM6 in 328i/xi) > F5 Status > F3 Transmission External (Getriebe Exter). That ScreenPrint was done with Shift Lever in Park, and the German has been translated to English via Google Translate. If you had INPA connected and that Screen showing Live Data with Ignition ON, AND if your Steptronic Switch were working properly, when you move the lever from D to M/S (M-Gate), the readout should change to "Switch Closed". Likewise, at the instant you move the shift lever either Rearward or Forward against the Detent, the Tipp+ or Tipp- line will change to "Switch Closed" UNTIL you release the lever and it returns to center position.

INPA MIGHT tell you something you don't already know, but proper analysis of the wiring diagram & some testing with a DMM would probably tell you what is happening. You would NOT expect to see "Switch Closed" on the occasion of ANY improper operation of those switches in the S224a assembly, as you describe.

What MAY yield some additional information is answering the following:
1) Does your Gear Indicator Light, E82, on top of the center console to left of shift lever, show correct Gear Lever Position in P, R, N, D? What about M/S, does light go OFF, or return to "D" when M/S is lost? I interpret your post to indicate the Latter.
2) What happens to the "Gear Selected" display on the Lower Instrument Cluster?
3) Do your Reversing Lights come on at ALL times when R is selected, even when M/S is NOT working after 30 seconds, and when you have NOT restarted engine?
4) Does Passenger Mirror "Dip" when Reverse is selected under conditions in (3)?

I would carefully re-examine/test the White/Green wire between X1561/4 at the switch (S224a), and X9944/4 at E82 to make sure the pins & sockets are NOT corroded and the wire is intact in each connector. Note the Diode in E82 between X9944/4 and X9944/6. I'm NOT knowledgeable of electronics, but it MAY be that diode is failing, and after 30 seconds, of system activation, ceases to operate properly as an electrical "check-valve". That is SOLELY a SWAG, and NOT an educated opinion.

ISTA "Lines" Overview of that schematic says the White/Green wire labeled "EGSMGE" is "Switch Signal" and I would GUESS that wire attains "Continuity to Ground" via Ground Point X10012 (Brown/Black wire) when Shift Lever is moved to M/S Gate. I'll leave it to you to figure out a test method with which you are comfortable, such as measuring voltage in reference to ground for 30+ seconds after Startup & immediate shift to M/S, measuring BOTH at X9944/4, and then again at X9944/6.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 09-12-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Wow, Thanks for all of that.

I'm going through it all now and will report back my findings.

First thing I know is that when the light is on for sport mode on the gear selector, it stays on even when the dash and performance indicate that sport mode is no longer active.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Answers to your questions gbalthrop

What MAY yield some additional information is answering the following:
1) Does your Gear Indicator Light, E82, on top of the center console to left of shift lever, show correct Gear Lever Position in P, R, N, D? What about M/S, does light go OFF, or return to "D" when M/S is lost? I interpret your post to indicate the Latter. The M/S light does not turn off..it stays lit...it even comes back on if i shift out of M/S and back in again
2) What happens to the "Gear Selected" display on the Lower Instrument Cluster? The gear selector on the lower instrument panel is what changes back to D from SD but when I switch out of sport mode and back in, it does not change. (unless I change into reverse, neutral etc.then it changes correctly, just not back to SD unless I restart the car.
3) Do your Reversing Lights come on at ALL times when R is selected, even when M/S is NOT working after 30 seconds, and when you have NOT restarted engine? Reverse Lights work normally under all conditions.
4) Does Passenger Mirror "Dip" when Reverse is selected under conditions in (3)? Passenger Mirror dips normally under both conditions (or doesn't dip normally depending on the mirror control setting on drivers door)

Last edited by Space Grey Xi; 09-13-2020 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: missed something
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #15
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... when the light is on for sport mode on the gear selector, it stays on even when the dash and performance indicate that sport mode is no longer active.
Quote:
... The M/S light does not turn off..it stays lit...it even comes back on if i shift out of M/S and back in again. The gear selector on the lower instrument panel is what changes back to D from SD but when I switch out of sport mode and back in, it does not change. (unless I change into reverse, neutral etc.then it changes correctly, just not back to SD unless I restart the car...
Keep in mind that I do NOT claim to fully understand the TIS wiring diagram, and of course have NO understanding of the E82 module internal configuration. My SWAG, simply trying to follow that diagram as a layman, NOT formally-trained in Electronics and Electrical circuits, is that the Switch, S224a IS working properly. That is based upon your added data that the M/S light on E82 Gear Indicator Light Module to left of shift lever REMAINS lit even though the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) Gear Selected switches from M/S to D, and you can no longer Tipp+ or Tipp- (Upshift/Downshift). If I understand correctly, the KOMBI Gear Selected NEVER goes BLANK, it just reverts to "D" after 30 seconds, and M/S cannot be displayed again until Restart?

What the additional data DOES indicate to me is that there is NO Ground Signal from Pin #6 of Connector X9944 at E82 to the Intermediate Connector, X6031, Pin #6, OR there is no Ground signal received at Pin #7 of Connector X8500 at the Transmission. Here are the "Installation Location" & "Connector View" for X6031 in the E-box:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/SL92ADs
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/Ck0MSdZD

My understanding from the wiring diagram is that S224a works to provide a ground signal to E82 when M/S Gate is selected, as it should. E82 gets that ground signal and lights the M/S indicator light next to Gear Selector Lever. That M/S light remains on after the Gear Selected Indicator on KOMBI reverts to D and remains showing "D" until restart. PROBLEM appears to be, after 30 seconds, the ground signal from E82 to X8500/7 is lost for some reason (perhaps faulty diode?).

The EGS Module communicates with the KOMBI Module via the Bus System as opposed to discreet wires. So what you see on the KOMBI Instrument Cluster is WHAT GEAR the Transmission has selected. If the Ground to X8500/7 is LOST, the transmission acts as though you pushed Gear Selector Lever to "D" (Right Gate), and reverts to "D". That is my "Layman's interpretation" of the wiring diagram, and you should seek a 2nd opinion if available. However, as suggested in prior post, you can probably devise a "safe" way (without shorting anything), to determine what is happening in the White/Blue & Yellow/Blue wires between X9944/6 and X8500/7 using a DMM to read Voltage (in Reference to Ground) for 60 seconds after STARTUP with M/S Selected (Helper Required).

If you are persuaded that there is a distinct voltage change in either/both of those wires @ ~ 30 seconds after Engine Start (or perhaps Ignition ON? -- I would suggest testing BOTH ways, as I would expect the result to be the SAME with just Ignition ON) then you can try (Ignition ON, Engine OFF) applying a ground jumper to the Yellow/Blue wire at X6031 in the E-box, to see if that causes M/S Gear Selected to appear on KOMBI.

ANYONE know a BMW part# and good source for E82, Gear Indicator Light?

George
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #16
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

Thanks George,

You have given me a few more things to look into. Pouring rain here most of the day today so I avoided going outside to the car.

Here are a couple more things I know.
1- It stays in M/S over a minute, not 30 seconds as previously mentioned.
2- If the key is on and the car is not running I can put it into M/S mode and it will not go back into drive. It will stay in M/S.
3- It is consistent. It always seems to be the same amount of time before it drops out. It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. It doesn't matter if I am driving or sitting still. It doesn't matter if I am manually shifting the gears or not.

I keep thinking is is something computer controlled. Something BMW has set into their programming that if something is not working correctly with the rest of the car, it defaults to regular 'D' mode. This comes from the story about the guy having the same problem and it corrected itself when he replaced his cooling fan.
Possibly getting the scanning cable/bluetooth and software will show me something that is not working but not bad enough to tun on the engine light.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

4- The car is clean under the shifter boot. No dirt or corrosion on any of the wires.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

You need to check out these two threads. Mine would not stay in sport mode, and I recall popping the shift boot and everything looked ok. But you have to dig deeper - many ppl (myself included) reporting cut/frayed wires that were not immediately visible.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511799

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842645
      09-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #19
Space Grey Xi
Canada
Rep

i installed BMW deep on my phone and picked up a bluetooth OBD reader.
I was able reset my fault codes and the sport mode came back while driving.....then after a minute it was gone again, and back were a couple of the codes.

Codes while sport mode was working are:

DME/DDE (engine electronics)
Error code 2F71
Electronics box fan, activation, fault, CAN message from KOMBI below threshold value,

EGS (transmission control)
code 578E
Gearbox oil, wear, lifetime exceeded

Codes after sport mode off again:

Same as above plus...
EGS (transmission control)
Error code 5673
Shift paddles, short circuit to positive, fault, short circuit to positive.

Sounds like a wire problem to me unless someone sees something i missed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #20
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Definitely a wire problem then. The e-box fan code is a little fan I believe that's by the DME under the hood. I remember seeing a while ago that some wires get pulled when you move the lever to the left on the shifter and overtime they get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #21
Edn54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

You should try and check oil trans oil lever check wiring !
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #22
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I remember seeing a while ago that some wires get pulled when you move the lever to the left on the shifter and overtime they get damaged.
^^this. Check the threads...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511799

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842645