E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > The Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

04-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

The Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

I cant be the only hockey nut here. My prediction is Sharks over Pens in 6 to win the cup.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

GO SHARKS!!! Man I hope they can get to the Cup this year. Been waiting a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

go wings
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
I cant be the only hockey nut here. My prediction is Sharks over Pens in 6 to win the cup.
I agree with your choice of teams, but I would like to see it go the other way.

LETS GO PENS!

Screw you Versus for only televising one of the first 4 games!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Go Sharks!!!!

My head will explode if they win the cup.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well, my favorite team is Ottawa, but there's no chance of them winning. They've got 3 of their best players on the injured roster.

Historically teams that get to the Cup Finals don't do well the next year.

I don't like the Habs, so I guess I'd like to see the Devils take it this year.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #7
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

NHL needs to pick up another television affiliate to air games. Yes, the players strike screwed them over, but c'mon, it's picked up with so many great players to watch now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

GO FLAMES GO!
      04-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
GO FLAMES GO!
They shoudl focus on hockey, rather than complaining about what they consider poor refereing, which is a joke in of itself.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
They shoudl focus on hockey, rather than complaining about what they consider poor refereing, which is a joke in of itself.
Seriously?

We took a couple of stupid penalties that were our fault but a couple were also pretty shitty calls. The ref'ing in game 1 versus game 2 was like night and day. The refs should just back off and let them play the game, just like they did in game 1. I'm sure you could agree with that.

Lets not make this a subjective pissing contest where we trash each other's teams. There's enough of that already.

Anyways, the stats say its your team's year. Flames are the underdog in the series but I have faith and I think it'll be a good series however it goes and it'll be a lot more even than most people have said. Its good hockey.
      04-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

GO WINGS
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Flames should be really pissed off at "the puck" for going into the net 3 times in under 4 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #13
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Seriously?

We took a couple of stupid penalties that were our fault but a couple were also pretty shitty calls. The ref'ing in game 1 versus game 2 was like night and day. The refs should just back off and let them play the game, just like they did in game 1. I'm sure you could agree with that.

Lets not make this a subjective pissing contest where we trash each other's teams. There's enough of that already.

Anyways, the stats say its your team's year. Flames are the underdog in the series but I have faith and I think it'll be a good series however it goes and it'll be a lot more even than most people have said. Its good hockey.
I was at game one, that high stick that Phaneuf scored his goal on, never happened. The calls in game one were awful, the calls in game two were justified, the flames got frustrated, and started with the cheap shots and they got called on all of them. Not to mention there wasn't a major boarding call on Pahneuf when he boarded Marlaeu nor was there a major on Sarich for the Elbow to Marleau, infact, the flames got a power play on that too. You cant honestly tell me this series has not been biased on a whole towards the flames. Besides, what kind of classless coach blameas the refs rather then the poor effort by his team?

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Go Flames.... What a come back!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That really was a hell of a game!

Did anyone else catch NJ-NY? Man I can't stand Sean Avery.

04-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Go Flames.... What a come back!
All predicated on two dirty hits.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The Phaneuf hit wasn't dirty, and was definetly NOT boarding. I agree that sometimes when a player is trying to prevent an icing and are battling to get to the puck with another player, it can get dangerous. That would be a good argument for the no-touch icing, but they were both movin down the ice quick and Phaneuf chose to take the man and not the puck which is hockey.

The Sarich hit is Sarich's style especially if you ever saw him in the minors. I guess some people thought it was kind of iffy because maybe he had his shoulder up, but thats why when you play hockey you learn pretty quick that if you have the puck, you NEVER PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN. Sorry buddy but a good hit doesn't mean its a dirty hit.

Props to Marleau though for getting up right away on both, that shows a lot of toughness and character.
      04-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The Phaneuf hit wasn't dirty, and was definetly NOT boarding. I agree that sometimes when a player is trying to prevent an icing and are battling to get to the puck with another player, it can get dangerous. That would be a good argument for the no-touch icing, but they were both movin down the ice quick and Phaneuf chose to take the man and not the puck which is perfectly fine.

The Sarich hit is Sarich's style especially if you ever saw him in the minors. I guess some people thought it was kind of iffy because maybe he had his shoulder up, but thats why when you play hockey you learn pretty quick that if you have the puck, you NEVER PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN. Sorry buddy but a good hit doesn't mean its a dirty hit.

Props to Marleau though for getting up right away on both, that shows a lot of toughness and character.
Phaneuf baorded Marleau, he hit a defensless player, playing the puck, from behind and drilled his head directly into the boards. And Sarich put his elbow into Marleau's face and almost broke his nose, then somehow the flames ended up with a power play. That was a dirty hit, you cannot lead with your elbow, period. That should have been five and a game miscounduct. That was not a good hit, it was a dirty hit.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

The definition of boarding:

Boarding
Boarding occurs when a player is facing the boards and an opposing player checks him from behind so that he is violently crushed into the boards. A player can be assessed either a minor or major penalty for boarding, and in many cases more severe penalties or suspensions will be assessed, because players can be very badly hurt from this. If a player is bent over and is slammed into the boards, he can suffer a concussion or even a broken neck, so players and officials alike frown heavily upon players who commit boarding.

Explain to me how the hit on Marleau by Phaneuf does not meet that definition.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
1st hit was..."a little dirty" to the extent that it wasn't done with intent. It was borderline boarding.
2nd hit was...CLEAN...he should have had his head up. Welcome to pro hockey

Those 2 hits didn't cause Sharks to try to protect the lead. The Sharks caused themselves to try to protect their lead. Calary just out played them.

Sharks need to win the next one or it's going to be tough to get "the mo" back.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #21
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The definition of boarding:

Boarding
Boarding occurs when a player is facing the boards and an opposing player checks him from behind so that he is violently crushed into the boards. A player can be assessed either a minor or major penalty for boarding, and in many cases more severe penalties or suspensions will be assessed, because players can be very badly hurt from this. If a player is bent over and is slammed into the boards, he can suffer a concussion or even a broken neck, so players and officials alike frown heavily upon players who commit boarding.

Explain to me how the hit on Marleau by Phaneuf does not meet that definition.
Thanks for the definition but Marleau wasn't face into the boards. He went sideways into the boards (like you're supposed to) when Phaneuf laid him out. Certianly wasn't the cleanest hit, but if you're telling me that Marleau didn't turn his skates and body to be perpendicular to the boards at least a few feet from the end to stop then you're telling me that he doesn't know how to skate.

It looked brutal, I agree. And between collisions like that and players losing their edge and falling hard into the boards when they're trying to prevent (or gain) an icing call, thats why there is a debate for the no touch icing.
      04-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Sharks need their star players to contribute. So far, it's all been Clowe who's looks to be the one doing a ton of work.
Appreciate 0