E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Trade 335i for E60 M5 for kids/gear?

01-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I'm sure people do it, but I know of no one personally who uses an M car as a daily driver do-everything-in it vehicle. Everyone I know who has an M car, whether M3, M5, or M6, uses it as a second or even third vehicle. An M5 is an $80-90k car and to put car seats in it so junior can spill his kool-aid all over the backseat, draw a picture with his crayons on the arm rest, and spit crumbs all over the floorboards is the height of insanity. Anyone who does that doesn't DESERVE an M-car.

You put kids in a minivan or an SUV because you expect them to get torn up and trashed. If you're married with children, as I indicated, an M-car is fine for a date out with the wife, a romantic getaway with her, using for business, or just to use as your own four-wheeled personal therapist.

Owning an M5, or any M car for that matter, carries with it the responsibility to respect the vehicle for its uniqueness and rich heritage. You do that by utilizing the car for the appropriate purposes.
It's a car, not an object to be worshiped. It's an inanimate object that exists to serve us. I understand that it's a fast car and should probably be driven spiritedly, but for that price, a base 911 is probably a "purer" sports car. I mean, unless you just like the shape and the incognito factor, why get something that's built to seat 5, has 4 doors, weighs 4000lbs, if all you want is to drive it mostly alone on the weekends? There are "purer" sports cars out there for that. I'm not trying to argue with you---it's just that most of the ///M cars, including the M5 were designed to be a compromised vehicles (ok, maybe not the M1) that offered daily drivability with high performance.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
Bavarian13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I'm sure people do it, but I know of no one personally who uses an M car as a daily driver do-everything-in it vehicle. Everyone I know who has an M car, whether M3, M5, or M6, uses it as a second or even third vehicle. An M5 is an $80-90k car and to put car seats in it so junior can spill his kool-aid all over the backseat, draw a picture with his crayons on the arm rest, and spit crumbs all over the floorboards is the height of insanity. Anyone who does that doesn't DESERVE an M-car.

You put kids in a minivan or an SUV because you expect them to get torn up and trashed. If you're married with children, as I indicated, an M-car is fine for a date out with the wife, a romantic getaway with her, using for business, or just to use as your own four-wheeled personal therapist.

Owning an M5, or any M car for that matter, carries with it the responsibility to respect the vehicle for its uniqueness and rich heritage. You do that by utilizing the car for the appropriate purposes.
This is so well said it should be a disclaimer when you buy the cars.
Appreciate 0