E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Lone Survivor

01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Lone Survivor

Who else is looking forward to this movie?

www.lonesurvivorfilm.com

".....Based on the failed June 28, 2005 mission, Operation Red Wings. Four members of SEAL Team 10, were tasked with the mission to capture or kill notorious...."

If you havent read the book, I highly recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

Just finished book. Couldn't put it down. Gonna see movie soon
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

The book was good. I hope Marky-Mark does it justice.

Kind of a weird story about this incident….

When i was reading the book, i mentioned it one of my tile reps. (I'm in the flooring business) I knew my rep (Tom) was from Texas but didn't think anything of it. Before i could get done asking if he's read the book he scoffed and said "Loan survivor my ass". I look at him funny and he said, Not only was Marcus not the only surveyor, but the whole thing was his fault. He proceeds to tell me that he was from the same part of Texas as Marcus and that he was on that mission with him. Surprised, i asked how long he was a SEAL. He told me that if you watch the Discovery channel special about BUDS training that he was in that class which was being documented.

I ask what really happened. He told me that it was pretty much like the book said except that Marcus encounter the kid with the Goat and decided to let him go without telling anyone else. That and the fact that he was there on that mission as well. He said they all got shot to hell and ended up scrambling for their lives. Even showed me scars on his neck, shoulder, cheek and said he had more on his hip and inner thigh which i decided not to verify.

So of course this guy is my new best friend and we're going out to lunch and i'm asking him about his days as an operator. He's telling me stories about covert pops that he's been on, scrapes he's been in, his favorite type of weapons to use, etc… This goes on for several months. My friends are stoked because he was going to be coming out with us to play paintball too.

Long story short, this guy ends up losing his job and his replacement is a pretty cool guy too. No NAVY SEAL, but pretty cool. He tells me that Tom was never even served in the armed forces, let a lone was a SEAL. He told me all about how he was a compulsive liar and had told other dealers that he was a NAVY pilot, some others that he flew the B2 Bomber, etc…. What a joke. After he lost his job he came by my shop once to catch up and i guess he could tell that i had heard the truth cause he quickly changed his intentions for being there from catching up to seeing what a good M3 would go for cause he was about to order one for his wife. Serious jerk off this guy was.

Cliffs: I knew a guy who claimed to be an additional survivor from Opp Red Wing and turned out that he was a jack ass who never served a day in his life.
      01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

^ lmao.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The book was good. I hope Marky-Mark does it justice.

Kind of a weird story about this incident….

When i was reading the book, i mentioned it one of my tile reps. (I'm in the flooring business) I knew my rep (Tom) was from Texas but didn't think anything of it. Before i could get done asking if he's read the book he scoffed and said "Loan survivor my ass". I look at him funny and he said, Not only was Marcus not the only surveyor, but the whole thing was his fault. He proceeds to tell me that he was from the same part of Texas as Marcus and that he was on that mission with him. Surprised, i asked how long he was a SEAL. He told me that if you watch the Discovery channel special about BUDS training that he was in that class which was being documented.

I ask what really happened. He told me that it was pretty much like the book said except that Marcus encounter the kid with the Goat and decided to let him go without telling anyone else. That and the fact that he was there on that mission as well. He said they all got shot to hell and ended up scrambling for their lives. Even showed me scars on his neck, shoulder, cheek and said he had more on his hip and inner thigh which i decided not to verify.

So of course this guy is my new best friend and we're going out to lunch and i'm asking him about his days as an operator. He's telling me stories about covert pops that he's been on, scrapes he's been in, his favorite type of weapons to use, etc… This goes on for several months. My friends are stoked because he was going to be coming out with us to play paintball too.

Long story short, this guy ends up losing his job and his replacement is a pretty cool guy too. No NAVY SEAL, but pretty cool. He tells me that Tom was never even served in the armed forces, let a lone was a SEAL. He told me all about how he was a compulsive liar and had told other dealers that he was a NAVY pilot, some others that he flew the B2 Bomber, etc…. What a joke. After he lost his job he came by my shop once to catch up and i guess he could tell that i had heard the truth cause he quickly changed his intentions for being there from catching up to seeing what a good M3 would go for cause he was about to order one for his wife. Serious jerk off this guy was.

Cliffs: I knew a guy who claimed to be an additional survivor from Opp Red Wing and turned out that he was a jack ass who never served a day in his life.
one question: how in the cambodian-fuck-hole did you believe this story !??!

anyways, dude, i have 25 million dollars sitting in a bank account off shore. i need to transfer it to the united states, but i need a legit account number, your address and your full name with social security number so i can make the transfer.

i'll give you 20 million - i just need 5 million.

Note that this transaction is 100% risk free - send me info via PM........

sincerely,
Litos Akeem Biobaku, PH.d C.R.P
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I pay attention to details and he had them all right. I just left that out of the story above.

The week before he told me this story i was calling him about work and he answered the phone and said he'd have to call me back because he was out of town at a reunion. That week worked out to be the reunion time for OPP Redwing. But he hadn't told me the story yet or even knew i was reading the book.

He even showed me some Afghan video footage of the battle Luttrel was in and it showed gear from the SEALs that didn't make it. You could see name badges on uniforms and bodies. It was authentic footage that matched the books description to a T. I've searched the web up and down for that footage and can't find it. He knew the website from memory.

If you've ever met a true compulsive liar, you'd know that they are pretty darn good at it. I'm skeptical of everything and he had all the right details and info that made me admit that i couldn't disprove anything he said. I've seen gunshot scars and his looked legit as well. This was also in early 2009 and the book hadn't been popularized yet.
      01-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

The film was absolutely incredible, in my opinion.

The realism used to portray the violence was absolutely gut-wrenching at times.

I gave the film a 9/10.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Good to hear Ybb.
As a Veteran I can't tell you how many faux SEAL's I've uncovered. Members of the Teams go to extreme lengths to expose them, rightfully do.
I was not one by the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Can't wait to see it!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
I pay attention to details and he had them all right. I just left that out of the story above.

The week before he told me this story i was calling him about work and he answered the phone and said he'd have to call me back because he was out of town at a reunion. That week worked out to be the reunion time for OPP Redwing. But he hadn't told me the story yet or even knew i was reading the book.

He even showed me some Afghan video footage of the battle Luttrel was in and it showed gear from the SEALs that didn't make it. You could see name badges on uniforms and bodies. It was authentic footage that matched the books description to a T. I've searched the web up and down for that footage and can't find it. He knew the website from memory.

If you've ever met a true compulsive liar, you'd know that they are pretty darn good at it. I'm skeptical of everything and he had all the right details and info that made me admit that i couldn't disprove anything he said. I've seen gunshot scars and his looked legit as well. This was also in early 2009 and the book hadn't been popularized yet.
Wouldn't surprise me if his version of the story was true. A lot of times the actual events aren't like the book or movie. Certain parts of Black Hawk Down weren't very accurate events. Apparently the cool headed SgtMaj who just casually walks around while under fire was the complete opposite. I used to work for "Captain America" from Generation Kill (he's out of the Marines now) and the portrayal of him is totally not his character at all, but that series made any officer they didn't like look like an idiot. He's a really cool guy and very level headed, unlike how the part was played in the series.

Military stories especially get embellished and tweaked all the time to make a better story.
      01-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I can't wait til I see it. I was a QRF for seal team 2 while I was on deployment. gotta say seals are the coolest guys ever.. no rules
      01-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #12
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
Good to hear Ybb.
As a Veteran I can't tell you how many faux SEAL's I've uncovered. Members of the Teams go to extreme lengths to expose them, rightfully do.
I was not one by the way.
Thank you very much for your service my friend.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

i gotta get this book now......

i hate reading though.....

i'll probably just wait for the BluRay to drop.....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i gotta get this book now......

i hate reading though.....

i'll probably just wait for the BluRay to drop.....
Author lives in Huntsville. If i'm not mistaken, that's a subdivision of Houston, right?

Same guy who chased down some guys who shot and killed his therapy dog. Chased them from Huntsville to Point Blank.

I can't stand reading either. Got it as an audio book. Goes quick if you have a decent commute.
      01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

Watched it the other day and it was awesome. Makes it even better that it's based on a true story. New found respect for the SEAL team!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

My wife doesn't even like war movies but she wants to see this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Author lives in Huntsville. If i'm not mistaken, that's a subdivision of Houston, right?

Same guy who chased down some guys who shot and killed his therapy dog. Chased them from Huntsville to Point Blank.

I can't stand reading either. Got it as an audio book. Goes quick if you have a decent commute.
Hunstville is actually a bit far to be considered "Houston".

it's about 50 or 60 miles north of Houston and is the home of 3 or 4 prison farms.

i've made a foodie run with some of my HEMI Friends over there - small town, not very exciting.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
My wife doesn't even like war movies but she wants to see this one.
Mark Wahlberg does that to a lot of wives..

..........and even some men........
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
Mark Wahlberg does that to a lot of wives..

..........and even some men........
I got a little movement myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I'm going to see this movie as well. Seems on par with Act of Valor.

There's also quite a few compulsive liars within the military (mostly about having x car that does y), I'd say about as much as there are who've never served.
      01-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

I spent 6 years in the USMC reserve and it was hilarious at all the overweight shit birds that would transfer over from the active duty side with all their stories about all the high speed classified super badass stuff they did while active. We would place bets on the kind of BS they would spew. We had more than one former force reconmarine that had trouble meeting the minimum PFT requirements.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
I spent 6 years in the USMC reserve
you know that means you really weren't in the Martines right !?!?

reservists were quite entertaining - especially when they'd show up in formation for the first time after being out in the civilain world for months at a time.....

hairy faced, wrinkly clothed dumpster fires.....

we'd always get punished (and eventually have to punish the reservist) for being such a shit bag.

i mean, what do you expect from someone who lives and works in the civilian world !?!?

i think i've seen 2 or 3 reservists that looked as if they were in active military status - but not many......
Appreciate 0